F-18E/F and EA-18G

I only just now realized I got pics months ago of VFA-103 flying GBU-12's outboard. Also found VFA-32 with Mk83's (I think) outboard. Are GBU-16's cleared yet? Anything else added lately? Just a year or two ago it seems the only 3 things available there was AMRAAM, HARM, Sparrow.

Edited by David Hingtgen
I only just now realized I got pics months ago of VFA-103 flying GBU-12's outboard. Also found VFA-32 with Mk83's (I think) outboard. Are GBU-16's cleared yet? Anything else added lately? Just a year or two ago it seems the only 3 things available there was AMRAAM, HARM, Sparrow.

GBU-16 are not cleared on outboard pylons. Mk-83, MK-82, and CBU-99/100 have been authorized on the outboard pylons for almost 10 years now, they were in the first batch of stores tested as those bombs were required for OPEVAL. GBU-12 have been cleared outboard for at least a couple years now, too.

I thought VFA-22 flew -E models?

Tom

Like Keith said, they did for a while. They got orders to deploy about midway through transitioning to the F, and had to go with a mix of E's and F's. I'm guessing they've completed the switch by now.

-Mike

Like Keith said, they did for a while. They got orders to deploy about midway through transitioning to the F, and had to go with a mix of E's and F's. I'm guessing they've completed the switch by now.

-Mike

And in that Surge Deployment, they had two F models and those were borrowed from VFA-122 I believe ...

They were early model Fs at that and now VFA-22 has later Lot jets ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
That's weird. I have never come across a pic of a fleet Super Hornet carrying anything other than a missile on the outboard pylon until fairly recently.

There's a lot of stuff that the SH is cleared to use but you don't see photos of. Mainly because that, while they are allowed to use various weapons, the mission requirements dictate small PGMs and the threat is such that there isn't a need to carry a lot of "self defense" missiles such as AIM-9, AIM-120, or AGM-88. Mission drives everything.

Does anyone have any of thoes new VFA-147 Argo. Super Hornet pics?

They're on airliner.net or is it alert5??

twobobs also have a new up coming decal markings sheet in 48th (Rockin'Rhinos #8-CAG and a low-viz line bird) on his newletter...

give me your email and I'll sent you a recent one,some nice VFA-125 alternates too!!

Terry

And in that Surge Deployment, they had two F models and those were barrowed from VFA-122 I believe ...

They were early model Fs at that and now VFA-22 has later Lot jets ...

Gregg

Here's one of two in recent days of posting of 103/NK nearing the cat...in full tanker loadout (4 wing tanks and center pod)

Really noticed the Navy site has cut back on recent postings of related subjects...have to use various search methods (ie:CVWs,CVNs, broad (just "VFA") search!!

This is the most recent for almost 6 months of a VFA-22 update.

http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=53453

Terry

Really noticed the Navy site has cut back on recent postings of related subjects...have to use various search methods (ie:CVWs,CVNs, broad (just "VFA") search!!

This is the most recent for almost 6 months of a VFA-22 update.

Navy squadron have a very rudimentary PR organization..usually 1 JO! As such, the only time the internal media folks take pics and submit them to the broader Navy-Wide PA organization for release is on a carrier or with some event that attracts their attention.

So, pretty much the only time you see pics on the navy.mil website is when they're underway.

HTH

Spongebob

Anyone here shoot in the RAW format and I don't mean naked. Here are two shots from a tanker ride a few years back. Just now rediscovered them and decided to play around with the sliders and such. Your comments are most welcome especially if you shoot in the RAW format and I do not mean naked.

166621.jpg

166621FA-18FVFA-103.jpg

Anyone here shoot in the RAW format and I don't mean naked. Here are two shots from a tanker ride a few years back. Just now rediscovered them and decided to play around with the sliders and such. Your comments are most welcome especially if you shoot in the RAW format and I do not mean naked.

Hey Dave,

I sometimes shoot in RAW, but only about 5-10% of the time. Usually I just shoot at the largest JPG format.

Also, those are some GREAT SHOTS!!!!

Have Hasegawa contacted you for a possible VFA-103 1/48 kit yet????? :cheers:

hasebox_vfa103a.jpg

hasebox_vfa103b.jpg

OK, I'll ask - what's RAW?

Wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

In short: you can still change things like exposure, white balance after you've taken the picture, on a computer using software like Photoshop or Nikon Capture. Basically your camera stores a million variations of that one photo on your memory card. All you have to do is tweek the photo to get the best variation on your computer screen. And that can be tough sometimes!

Thanks!

I wouldn't have thought to look up "Raw Image format" on wiki. Being the knucklehead I am, I would have just looked up raw and wound up with a typically wiki-like verbose treatise on undercooked meat, or professional wrestling. Or both.

Any pics out there of one carrying a GBU-24? Searching at Navy.mil comes up empty using "GBU-24" or "Paveway", and I don't want to search through a thousand random pics just hoping.

http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=28713 (this is one of my favorites)

http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=28714

You'll not likely find more than those, as there hasn't been a need to use GBU-24 operationally on the SH yet and it isn't something that is carried around "just in case".

Edited by Joe Hegedus