F-18E/F and EA-18G

Question on those pics---is the GBU-24 on the middle or inner pylon? One of the many "Super Hornet load" posts from ARC I've saved says GBU-24's aren't cleared with anything outboard due to fin clearance. But it looks to me like the GBU-24's are on the middle, not inner pylon. Of course, new things are always being tested/cleared.

Edited by David Hingtgen
Question on those pics---is the GBU-24 on the middle or inner pylon? One of the many "Super Hornet load" posts from ARC I've saved says GBU-24's aren't cleared with anything outboard due to fin clearance. But it looks to me like the GBU-24's are on the middle, not inner pylon. Of course, new things are always being tested/cleared.

The GBU-24 are on the middle pylons, with tanks inboard and HARM outboard. The load in the picture is a load that any fleet Super Hornet may use, but as mentioned, there hasn't been a need for fleet SH to fly with GBU-24 to date.

Sorry, more weapons questions: (Super Hornets have so many pylons, and so many possible weapons, and so many restrictions)

If you can now have GBU-24's in the middle with missiles outboard, can you have Harpoon/SLAM on the middle pylon mixed with other weapons? Can you mix Harpoon and GBU-24? (regardless of being a useful mission load)

Are there many current restrictions for 1000lb weapons on the middle pylon being mixed with other weapons, particularly 1000-2000lb weapons inboard?

(it seems most anything can go on the middle pylon with a HARM or AMRAAM missile outboard and a tank inboard---but modelers always want the heaviest and largest amount of weapons on every pylon, not drop tanks and self-defense missiles)

Sorry, more weapons questions: (Super Hornets have so many pylons, and so many possible weapons, and so many restrictions)

can you have Harpoon/SLAM on the middle pylon mixed with other weapons?

Only inboard tanks or empty pylons, and outboard AIM-120 or AIM-7. OBTW, SLAM are not longer in inventory, having been either expended or converted to SLAM-ER (which is not cleared on the SH yet)

Can you mix Harpoon and GBU-24? (regardless of being a useful mission load)

No.

Are there many current restrictions for 1000lb weapons on the middle pylon being mixed with other weapons, particularly 1000-2000lb weapons inboard?

More or less, yes. Mainly because there isn't a convenient way to authorize everything that has been tested to date. I won't go into details on that. You can put GBU-16 midboard with inboard 2K lb JDAM, with outboard missiles though, and a few other things that I don't recall the details to offhand.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Hopefully my last weapon question for a while, these have mainly been for someone else modeling a Super Hornet (and partly my own curiousity):

If there are GBU-24's inboard, is there anything that can go on the middle pylon besides more GBU-24's? (and could you then put a missile, preferably a HARM, outboard)

Or another way---if you have GBU-24's inboard, what else can you put on the plane to fill up the pylons?

I suppose Joe is sick of these questions, but I have a SH loadout question: Is B61 cleared on Super Hornet? If so, where? On Es or Fs? I would like to build my Super Hornet with a B61s (one or more) and I don't know where to start looking. Thanks.

Or am I in finger-breaking area now?

Marko

I suppose Joe is sick of these questions, but I have a SH loadout question: Is B61 cleared on Super Hornet? If so, where? On Es or Fs? I would like to build my Super Hornet with a B61s (one or more) and I don't know where to start looking. Thanks.

Marko

:popcorn:

Thanks so much for your replies.

Hopefully my last weapon question for a while, these have mainly been for someone else modeling a Super Hornet (and partly my own curiousity):

If there are GBU-24's inboard, is there anything that can go on the middle pylon besides more GBU-24's? (and could you then put a missile, preferably a HARM, outboard)

Or another way---if you have GBU-24's inboard, what else can you put on the plane to fill up the pylons?

With inboard pylon GBU-24, right now the midboard pylons can take a GBU-12 or GBU-16, AGM-65E (Laser Maverick), MK-82/BSU-86 (not avialable in any kit in any scale, or aftermarket that I know of) or MK-83/BSU-85AIR (Revell SH kit). Missiles (AGM-88, AIM-120, AIM-7) can go on the outboard pylon.

Marko

Sorry, not going to touch that one.

Looks like the area around the ducts is painted.

AJ-213.jpg

Painted gray- it is all the same color on top. You were referring to the area on the LEX behind the spoilers? BTW they all have nonskid areas on the Starboard LEX now...

Painted gray- it is all the same color on top. You were referring to the area on the LEX behind the spoilers? BTW they all have nonskid areas on the Starboard LEX now...

I think he was referring to the area between the fins. The earlier designs for the vents in that area were unpainted; the Bard Stacks are painted gray and lack the thermal protective coating behind the vents that was applied to jets that had the earlier duct design.

Rog, lots of ducts on these birds, and all have paint on them... :) They have been that way since we got the jets from the factory.

Got close up pics of both Heat Exchanger vent types taken by yours truly posted in a couple spots on ARC already. If anyone wants a repost on this thread let me know...