F-4 Phantom Parking Only...

Hey All,

Awesome F4 pics for sure. I'm a former F4 Machinist from my old AF days, from 81 to 86. I'm looking for F4C-Ds pics from Homestead AFB during that time frame. The Tail letters were "ZF" back then. That's before they switched to HS and went onto F-16s. It was the 31sr TFW during that time, before hurricane Andrew wiped Homestead off the face of the map. Currently they still fly F-16s out of there from the Reserve side of base.

thanks,

Mike

Here's a 31st F-4D I photographed at Kelly AFB in January 1982. Way at the right edge of the photo you can see the tail of the XC-99.

65-0611January1982KellyAFBScottRWilson.jpg

Here's one from my collection, a Homestead F-4E in the load training barn taken Sept 19, 1979. The photographer put the date but not his name on the slide so I don't know who shot it. I got it in a trade. Note the nukes:

67-0309HomesteadAFBSept191979.jpg

Illinois 183rd TFG F-4C on static display at the 132nd TFW, Des Moines, Iowa.

F-4658.jpg

Where did you find this picture? This plane, 658 from the 183rd TFG was my father's plane. I wish it was taken from the other side of the plane where his name was painted.

Tim from W. Central Illinois.

I think I posted this picture earlier but today it has special meaning to me. The GIB (Ret. Col David B. Dingee) was a good friend of mine and was shot down in this a/c and was a POW. Upon release he went to pilot training at Moody AFB, GA. Dave was a captain when I knew him at pilot training ( I was a 2nd Lt.). Had it not been for his guidance and counseling, i wouldn't be where I am today. Dave passed away today. I will miss him.

Bruce Radebaugh

F-4E67-0243.jpg

Edited by bradebaugh

I think I posted this picture earlier but today it has special meaning to me. The GIB (Ret. Col David B. Dingee) was a good friend of mine and was shot down in this a/c and was a POW. Upon release he went to pilot training at Moody AFB, GA. Dave was a captain when I knew him at pilot training ( I was a 2nd Lt.). Had it not been for his guidance and counseling, i wouldn't be where I am today. Dave passed away today. I will miss him.

Bruce Badebaugh

F-4E67-0243.jpg

My condolences for your friend. That is an interesting picture BTW, any other shots out there that show the nose-art?

Regards,

John

the nose art is just a heart with an arrow thru it and the word "MOM" in white. I believe I posted the rest of the info earlier. It was a Homestead bird ZF tail code. I got the picture from Dave when I built him a 1/48th model of it for him while were were in pilot training('73). I used the old Fujimi kit.

Bruce

Edited by bradebaugh
  • 2 weeks later...

Hallo every Phantom fans! Can anyone help with pics of some F-4 details - pitot tube for long- and short-nosed versions ( and recce versions as well )? I trying to find some reference for my friend's company - MASTER - and to inspire him to making some turned brass pitots and AoA probe ad well (maybe some other items too)in 48 scale ( for me!) and other scales. Any dimensions will great as well! Anyone can help?? Please mail me direct - ulabodo@poczta.onet.pl

Best-Bodo

According to the Production and Operational Data book by William Peake: "F-4E-34-MC 2997/0162 First Flight 16 May 1968, Del USAF 09 Aug 1968, Attrition date 18 June 1991" at McGuire AFB. The same book states it as downing a MiG-21 with an AIM-7E on 8 July 1972. The Osprey MiG Killers book, while not listing 67-0270 in the 'MiG Killer' appendix, has a drawing of the jet in the colour section. The main text also confirms the method of shoot down as an AIM-7 and the date; while not specifically mentioning the serial number, the crew of Cpts Hardy and Lewinski tallies. I also checked the Colours & Markings vol 12 which has a picture from December 1972 with a star on the nose. Interestingly, this book states the aircraft shot down two MiGs giving the dates as 8 July and 29 July. The other photos when it was with the 35TFW show it painted with two kill markings. Both the Osprey and Data book allocate the 29 July kill to 67-0292 (the other claim that day went to F-4D 66-0271). No shots of it with the NJ ANG (the book was published in 1989 though).

HTH

This may be a tad late but 69-0270 was brought to McGuire upon request for display by the 108th. The units 67 and 68 model year F-4's were slated for foreign military sales (a shame that we could not keep one of our own birds) so historical airframes were made available to the unit. When 69-0270 arrived she was wearing GA codes with 2 MiG Kills. 69-0270 never flew with the 108th, in fact the flight to McGuire was her last. Air Force records revealed a kill assigned to the each of the crew, which probably wound up being mistaken as two separate kills for the airframe. It was some time before we could prep the bird for display and the hardstand built. She was painted in 108th colors and finally displayed still wearing both Kills. On her second refurbishment after reviewing the Air Force records we finally removed the second Kill.

Cheers,

Barry

Hi Guys - this is my first post on this site and i hope i dont break any rules

i have about 1200 phantom slides in my collection

most of them I bought years ago when i used to come over to the Phan Con's

most come from Doug Slowiak who is just a great bloke

I hope i am not breaking any sort of copyright laws by posting the pictures that i have in my collection - if i am please could someone let me know and i wont do it.

here is my first offering

it is of F-4N which is ex F-4B 151398. ex VF-161 and is shown here in AMARC somewhere around August 1985. AMARC Code 8F057

f4n151398.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 2 months later...