F-4 Phantom Parking Only...

Belly strap, for sure yes (as was mentioned) since the 57 FIS flew 1966 and 67 model F-4Es. Smokeless engines- depends. At the two F-4E bases I was at (George AFB 1982-83, and Ramstein AB 1983-1986) smokeless engines were slowly replacing the smokey engines. In 1982 only a few F-4Es had smokeless, but by about 1985 smokeless were very much predominant. I am sure the 57th was likewise changing out their engines at the same time.

I went to Red Flag with 62 MAW C-141Bs in 1989. All of the F-4Es and Gs there were smokeless, but by then the 57 FIS was flying F-15s.

Scott thank you very much. That has been most insightful and always appreciate hearing anything from you on the F-4.

Scott thank you very much. That has been most insightful and always appreciate hearing anything from you on the F-4.

I'm always happy to talk about Phantoms!

Check out this video of Michigan ANG F-4Ds. You'll see Phantoms with engines that smoke flying alongside Phantoms with smokeless engines, plus a few jets that have one of each type engine. Some of the jets are painted Hill Gray which puts this video at 1986 or later:

Check the insignia on the fuselage side, it's upside down.

Jari

I found this same blunder on the test A-10 in Euro 1 while at McClellan AFB but it was the wingtop stencil. Have a pic. of it somewhere. Took it for this very reason as I want to do the build and see if any show judges "catch" it, then show the photo. The nose art said "Make my day" with a painted hog head.

Zapped by the "M"-ericans. Either at NAS Oceana or perhaps on the Saratoga

Don't think so, that's a Buccaneer next to them. Most likely on the HMS Ark Royal.

Also notice the variations of the roundel on the intakes (compare to this photo)

2366505492_b099aaab31_z.jpg?zz=1