F-4 Phantom Parking Only...

"Colonial Navy" ???

809853_900.jpg

IIRC they had done a "cross deck" excersize with the USN and recovered aboard the Saratoga. The deck crew on the Sara tagged the airplanes before they went back to the Ark Royal.

I seem to remember a VMFA-451 F-4 that got similar treatment from the FAA crews.

Edited by jinxx1

That was because the VMFA-531 jet had broken down and needed repair. But not before the jet could be off loaded. Ark Royal made a port call which was not friendly to the states. So the Marine Phantom was parked in a way to hide the US markings leaving just the tail visible. The tail was painted like the RN phantoms on board.....Or so goes the legend.

DSC_0600.jpg

Phantom's right. The pic is obviously taken at the Ark Royal, but they were zapped by VF-171 members during a stay at NAS Oceana in August 1978.

OK that makes sense. Not knowing the story I thought he was saying the pic was taken onboard the Saratoga.

• 2 months later...

Looking for any pics of the RF-4E "Hooter", same as the one in the AirDoc decals. I've been completely unable to come up with any pictures at all and any help would be appreciated.

Someone else's build:

airdoc%20decals%20RF-4E.jpg[/url][/img]

Edited by Whiskey

I have a pic of Hooter from the port side. PM me your Email adress and I will scan it for you.

It was taken after return to Germany. The problem is (just like with other Airdoc decals) the jet seems to carry crew names on the canopies which are not included on the decal sheet. I haven´t done any research but in the Luftwaffe, crewnames were seldomly carried at home station but during exercises, where the same crews where flying together for some weeks, groundcrew tended to apply names (I guess that happened the same timeframe as the name for the jet)

Cheers

Scout

I have a pic of Hooter from the port side. PM me your Email adress and I will scan it for you.

It was taken after return to Germany. The problem is (just like with other Airdoc decals) the jet seems to carry crew names on the canopies which are not included on the decal sheet. I haven´t done any research but in the Luftwaffe, crewnames were seldomly carried at home station but during exercises, where the same crews where flying together for some weeks, groundcrew tended to apply names (I guess that happened the same timeframe as the name for the jet)

Cheers

Scout

That would be awesome thanks scout!

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/9/2008 at 6:11 PM, latormentabritanica said:

I took these pictures of static F-4's today out at Gowen Field, the Idaho ANG base.

P2092207.jpg

P2092200.jpg

P2092201.jpg

P2092199.jpg

P2092203.jpg

P2092206.jpg

I was just recently out at Gowen Field and they are in the process of repainting the RF-4C. The next time I am out on the base, I'll see if they have it done.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

sorry if I resurrect this but I'm looking for RAF F-4J pictures concerning the belly and upper wings area especially for catapult cable attachment points and whatever the other cradle pins are called above the wings

Luigi

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2015 at 10:28 AM, habu2 said:

OK that makes sense. Not knowing the story I thought he was saying the pic was taken onboard the Saratoga.

Xtradecal and CTA have nice sets to cover those in 1/72.

• 1 year later...