F-4 Phantom Parking Only...

Here's the rest of the old slides. Nothing spectacular but applicable to the F-4 so I'm posting them. The seat and parachute slides must have been extras from Egress Fam training. I've got a sad feeling that dozens more slides like these are buried in a landfill but at least I saved these. Couldn't resist including the TAC shield just for old times sake.

Boardingladder001.jpg

What is with the overall black F-4? Was this an AF version? If so, any other pics of this? Never seen a solid black F-4, except for those Navy test versions with the Playboy bunny.

What is with the overall black F-4? Was this an AF version? If so, any other pics of this? Never seen a solid black F-4, except for those Navy test versions with the Playboy bunny.

There was also the VMFP-3 Disestablishment scheme too ...

>>> Clicky <<<

Not sure what this black F-4 is though, interesting ...

Gregg

You asked for it. VMFA-531. This looks like a scheme the Phantom Phanatics would Phind Phenomenal.

Ray

152323%20F-4N%20VMFA-531%20NK200%20El%20Toro%20(nov79)%20Michael%20Grove(a)%20PMC.jpg

B)%20PMC.jpg" border="0" class="linked-image" />

Hi guys,

I need a clarification. I'm getting ready to start a model of the VMFA-531 CAG plane from Operation Eagle Claw. I have found conflicting instructions as to the color of the tail. Was it Insignia Blue or Black? Also, was this plane (from the pics above) the same CAG plane, modex #200 BuNo. 152323, from the failed hostage rescue attempt in 1980? I've seen a few photos of some of VMFA-531's F-4Ns with the painted bands, but never the CAG.

Thanks for your help,

V.C.

I thought I would add another contribution to this great thread. Here is a scan of a photo I shot at the Miramar Air Show in August, 1993. This was shot using an old basic Minolta camera with the typical low hanging coastal clouds contributing to the drab look. Gotta love the F-4G!

Mike

F4GMiramar1993mjismall.jpg

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:coolio:

I had the opportunity to attend the 30th anniversary event in St. Louis in 1988. Through a combination of haste, and assuming everything was in the camera bag, I found myself at a once-in-a-lifetime event with only my wide-angle lens. The resulting images attest to that mental lapse. Better images of this event are probably available somewhere but I thought I’d share these anyway.

I was there in a quasi-official capacity representing the 183rd TFG. The 183rd, just up the road along I-55, was asked to provide a static display aircraft. Someone at the unit decided to send aircraft 696, just back from depot maintenance and sporting a fresh repaint. Nary a fluid leak or greasy fingerprint marred her pristine surface. Unfortunately, no unit markings had been painted on the vertical tail and intakes either. If not for a small sign supported by the nose gear, she would have been completely anonymous. A ‘green’ service-worn veteran, wearing the distinctive SI and yellow band, would have been unique, and a fitting representative of Vietnam era and subsequent similar camouflage schemes.

30thlogo001.jpg

F-430years.jpg

F-4HAFBresize.jpg

WW251.jpg

551AtStL.jpg

F-4SL504.jpg

F-4BH745.jpg

F-4atStL551.jpg

F-4SI696.jpg

Through a combination of haste, and assuming everything was in the camera bag, I found myself at a once-in-a-lifetime event with only my wide-angle lens. The resulting images attest to that mental lapse. Better images of this event are probably available somewhere but I thought I’d share these anyway.

The resulting images are GREAT! Come on, who'd-a-thunk to take photos with that kind of lens that day?! Definitely some great one-of-a-kind pics on a one-of-a-kind day. You did good!

Mark

Anybody got pic's of the F-4D from the 93FS in tri-color camo scheme?

Hi Decal did them in several scales - would love to see a pic though :thumbsup:

I think there is a few photos of those experimental schemes at Homestead in Don Logan's ANG F-4 book. If you have even a passing interest in F-4s, I highly suggest you get it.

Jake

A few photos appropriate for the season. 183rd TFG, IL ANG

575Winterresize.jpg

593Winterresize.jpg

649Winterresize.jpg

7705Winterresize.jpg

Winterrampresize.jpg

Some of the lucky (inside)

Luckyonesresize.jpg

Thank you for those! It makes me shiver to think about preflighting those airplanes in weather just like that. (I was a 183rd crew chief from '85-'91.)