F-4 Phantom Parking Only...

It makes me shiver to think about preflighting those airplanes in weather just like that. (I was a 183rd crew chief from '85-'91.)

I hear ya bro',did a many preflight/thru-flight/post-flight in those conditions here in Indiana.We had a F-4E bust a trunion on landing in those conditions,took us 8+ hours to crane it from the end of runway(over a mile from the hanger/flightline) to finally getting it in the hanger,we had ropes attached to anything we could on the F-4E to keep it swinging into the crane,had roughly 50+ people taking turns manning the ropes and in vehicles getting warm.What a way to spend a Sunday at drill!

This is the original hush house/engine test cell at the 183rd TFG. These photos were taken by my good friend Master Sgt. Rick Shanner, an engine mechanic since day one (over 30 years ago), and now shop supervisor. Note the intake screens, one in the foreground, and the other under the r/h intake. Those screens came to my shop occasionally to replace a punctured, torn or partially missing bulb seal. The structure was finally retired when replaced by the modern facility visible in the fourth photo.

Hushhouse007.jpg

Hushhouse002.jpg

Hushhouse003.jpg

F-4545725583.jpg

Another batch of "We were going to pitch these, do you want them?" photos. This was before my time at the 183rd, but about a year earlier I was doing a similar c/l tank mod prior to the 49th TFW 1975 "Crested Cap" deployment to Germany. The baggage pod I helped fabricate had two removable panels instead of a single hinged door. The extra width no doubt made it easier to load a somewhat lengthy object or objects.

Lbaggagepod004.jpg

Lbaggagepod001.jpg

Lbaggagepod002.jpg

Lbaggagepod003.jpg

Thanks for the pics to all...

Just wondering... is there someone who can share images of the GAF 38+84 F-4F on the kinda norm 81 mottled expermental cammo and from the GAF 35+36 RF-4E in that same norm 81 (or similar cammo)?????.

I do know that they were like that somewhere between 1979 and 1983 but o far I have found little info other than the don color profiles....

Thanks for any info you guys can share.

Cheers

Man

Edited by german

RF-4C AF 72-146 (RAF Brawdy, Wales ~ 1986)

(Sorry about the quality of the photos)

This aircraft made two passes over the flight line during the 1986 air show. On its second pass, we heard a loud bang and the aircraft flew directly to the nearby coastline where the crew attempted to eject.

brawdy-011b.jpg

brawdy-012b.jpg

brawdy-013b.jpg

brawdy-014b.jpg

brawdy-015b.jpg

brawdy-016b.jpg

brawdy-021b.jpg

Note: This is the same aircraft which appeared in earlier posts within this thread:

Post #568

Post #572

Edited by Midway Sailor
  • 2 weeks later...