F-4 Phantom Parking Only...

Scott,you sound like that you were with the SA unit at the same time Terre Haute,Ft.Wayne,San Antonio,and Ft. Smith were part of the same wing,the 122nd TFW based out of Ft.Wayne,they had a F-4C with all the wing's tail flashes.

http://www.5053phantoms.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=26&pid=4118#top_display_media

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-F-4C-Phantom/0963553/L/&sid=35867415104b0eec4afdf514db65abcf

As for a F-4 ride,not getting one while crewing them was the only regret while a crew chief,I was the alternate sveral times.I did manage to do engine runs which was a big thing for a traditional guardsman,the runs were usually a technician function but given to a few of us that were on orders for nearly four years,they figured they would throw us into the mix.That's as close I got to Phantom ride but it's all good,I was amazed they were paying me to work on the jets,I would have done it for free!I had alot of amazing experiances and seen alot of cool things while on the flightline,both at home and abroad.

Here's some aircraft not seen in books very often. They're the RFs assigned to the 183rd TFG when the unit converted to Phantoms. These images are from the photo collection of Springfield, Illinois aviation historian and photographer Job Conger. He has about 30,000 aircraft images (prints & slides). If you're looking for a specific aircraft you might try contacting him at http://www.aeroknow.com/

RF-4Clineup.jpg

RF-4C890winter.jpg

RF-4C890summer.jpg

RF-4C886.jpg

RF-4C870.jpg

RF-4C03.jpg

RF-4C02.jpg

RF-4C-60.jpg

65-0881B-2stand.jpg

RF-4Changar001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I asked about this particular RF-4C a few years ago. I have been contacted by the pilot who flew it during the Vietnam war. He would like to know what happened to his aircraft and what is the status with it now. The details are:

RF-4C 67-0448 went to Davis-Monthan AMARC in 1991 and this information is current up to 2008.

My contact has heard that it may have now been converted to a drone since 2008. Could someone be able to confirm this please? Also, what military aviation forums or spotter forums I could also ask this question?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Neat. I did not know we still had Phantoms in those colors. I thought the Phantoms we had left were all in the classic SEA camo.

One generell question.

In which functions the Rhino is still serving in the US-Forces?

Always thought they are only used as drones in the US....

Two days ago I posted images of F-4C 64-0776 in a Bicentennial markings topic. I thought it might be interesting to show 776 in the various guises it wore while assigned to the 183rd TFG at Springfield, IL. These photos are courtesy of Job Conger's AeroKnow Museum photo collection. http://www.aeroknow.com/

Note in the first two photos the use of AF 40 instead of the later AF 64.

64-0776005.jpg

F-4C776numberonly.jpg

64-0776screen.jpg

64-0776stars2.jpg

64-0776stars.jpg

64-0776rh.jpg

64-0776012-1.jpg

64-0776002.jpg

64-0776taxi.jpg

64-0776bw.jpg

Continuing the subject of SEA camouflage patterns. I know there were countless variations of the T.O. paint scheme, most were subtle but a few quickly stood out. For instance 648 was repainted locally by the 183rd Corrosion Control shop. It was easy to spot for quite sometime thereafter. 505 has an interesting perimeter of medium green on the r/h side of the aft fuselage, no strip of tan beneath and below the national insignia on the r/h side of the fuselage, and lacks the tan band surrounding the aft canopy - interesting differences. The photo of 899 is added as representative of the standard pattern and it also abounds with yellow AGE.

66-6484.jpg

63-7505b.jpg

63-7505.jpg

64-899AGE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any pics of the f-4's during there service @ Hill Air Force Base Utah?

Hill was the main service depo so almost ever F-4 all the way up to there retirement in 1996 including Navy& Marine Phantoms came through here? Even when some of the F-4e's were converted to "G" models that took place @ Hill & also the 388th flew them but pics are far & few in between.

Someone asked me awhile back what it was like to get a ride in a Phantom. Here's a video taken from the back seat of an RF-4C. The audio is from the aircraft intercom, and it's just about how I remember it. Note you really can't hear the engines much at all.

This one is excellent too:

Edited by Scott R Wilson
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey All,

Awesome F4 pics for sure. I'm a former F4 Machinist from my old AF days, from 81 to 86. I'm looking for F4C-Ds pics from Homestead AFB during that time frame. The Tail letters were "ZF" back then. That's before they switched to HS and went onto F-16s. It was the 31sr TFW during that time, before hurricane Andrew wiped Homestead off the face of the map. Currently they still fly F-16s out of there from the Reserve side of base.

thanks,

Mike