F-4 Phantom Parking Only...

Ah, so it wasn't a leftover from the Bicentennial in '76 either. Doesn't really matter, it looks snazzy.

I'd say we added them to the Hun's less than a month after receiving them,we didn't do a Bicentennial jet which really surprised me and a whole lot of other people.

69-0291 was converted to an F-4G

And here is what it looks like now: http://f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/m/mi28/20101010/20101010093505.jpg

Yep, note that on display at Osan she has a gun nose and E fin cap, but she still has the Weasel antennas on the spine, side of the nose and barely visible on the side of the vertical fin too.

Scott W.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Help? Looking for a pic I saw online and failed to download ... now can't seem to find no matter how I search for it. It's an RF-4C in the early gull gray over white, with ED tail codes, red-orange outer wing panels with same color flaps and ailerons, outer sections on horizontal tails and fixed portion of vertical tail. Believe the tail number is 41004 (64-1004).

Pic was from Edwards in early 1965. Probably with 6512 FTS. In a dive dropping 12 M117 bombs, all red.

Maybe some one has it or better search skills than me.

thanks

Yep, note that on display at Osan she has a gun nose and E fin cap, but she still has the Weasel antennas on the spine, side of the nose and barely visible on the side of the vertical fin too.

Scott W.

Not anymore. As of last month when I was at Osan, it no longer has ANY F-4G antenna and even sports a new paint scheme. It's in one of the diamonds near the 5RS along with a few ROKAF and USAF jets. Not really on display as you need fight line access to get near them.

Jake

Help? Looking for a pic I saw online and failed to download ... now can't seem to find no matter how I search for it. It's an RF-4C in the early gull gray over white, with ED tail codes, red-orange outer wing panels with same color flaps and ailerons, outer sections on horizontal tails and fixed portion of vertical tail. Believe the tail number is 41004 (64-1004).

Pic was from Edwards in early 1965. Probably with 6512 FTS. In a dive dropping 12 M117 bombs, all red.

thanks

These help any Gary?

Mc Donnell Douglas RF-4C USAF Test Pilot School

Mc Donnell Douglas RF-4C Phantom II USAF Test Pilot School

rf-4c.jpg

Thanks Whiskey. Nice pics but from much later than '65. Those are all white while the one(s) I'm looking for had the old gull gray over white as a base, with the red-orange panels. Plus the red-orange flaps and ailerons, which doesn't seem to occur in the later times. Just a bonehead mistake on my part for not grabbing it when I saw it.

Thanks again for taking the time to look.

Not anymore. As of last month when I was at Osan, it no longer has ANY F-4G antenna and even sports a new paint scheme. It's in one of the diamonds near the 5RS along with a few ROKAF and USAF jets. Not really on display as you need fight line access to get near them.

Jake

Jake nooooo!!!!! Lol. Was hoping to take a peak at it on the next rotation to Korea. I am quite curious as to why they would remove all Wild Weasel affiliated parts on a display aircraft however.

Jake nooooo!!!!! Lol. Was hoping to take a peak at it on the next rotation to Korea. I am quite curious as to why they would remove all Wild Weasel affiliated parts on a display aircraft however.

I can see why they'd take it back to an F-4E, given its history as a MiG killer. I don't understand why it's no longer on display. Makes no sense to me.

Jake

• 2 weeks later...

thanks

There's a picture of the one you mean in the F-4 "Spirit in the skies" book, on page 28 in the newer edition. The pic in the book shows the plane taking off or landing, with the orange M117's on it. The pic is credited to Robert F. Dorr. I checked his name, and he's quite active on Facebook, Linkedin, etc. Maybe you could get in touch with him?

There's a picture of the one you mean in the F-4 "Spirit in the skies" book, on page 28 in the newer edition. The pic in the book shows the plane taking off or landing, with the orange M117's on it. The pic is credited to Robert F. Dorr. I checked his name, and he's quite active on Facebook, Linkedin, etc. Maybe you could get in touch with him?

Robert F. Dorr is quite the aviation enthusiast having put together many books on various aircraft to include a book on the A-7 and the F-4 published by Osprey that I own.

Thanks for that info Pete. I've actually got that book open to that pic. I'm sure that pic I saw online is the same ac inflight dropping its load. It's a good pic, from the right side, well lit with all the markings clearly visible. Maybe I can find it thru Bob Dorr. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Gary

If you're talking 48th Hasegawa, they're both close. The RF-4B needs AF style wheels and the unslotted tail planes (can mod the kit slotted parts fairly easy). The RF-4E's come with the AF style wheels and correct tail planes but only have the late style exhausts so you need to source those. Also I've only seen the later style (rounded) recce nose fairing so that May or may not be what you need. Also on the E's, the fwd wing tip areas may be an issue but can be fixed with a bit of sanding. The RF-4EJ has the later style RWR fairings not on the C. But I think the German RF-4E boxing may have the plain wing tips ... I think that's what was in one I have. And decals of course.

Addendum:

Looked into the German boxing of an RF-4E and it did have the original wingtip style so that would be what you need for the C. Also one item I forgot about was the inboard wing pylon. The RF-4B has the same inboard pylon so you're good there. The German boxing of the RF-4E had both style inboard pylons so you're good there too.

So with the RF-4B kit you will need AF style wheels, and depending on which boxing of an RF-4E you get, or can find, you may need only the early style exhaust cans.

hope that helps

Edited by Gary F

Hi gang, does any one have good close up shots of the mods done to QF-4s?

The antenna, sensors, control boxes etc.

Specifically QF-4G's

Edited by Shawn M
  • 3 weeks later...

Last one for now;

2672555.jpg

Is that a Pave Spike? Aren't they way outdated by now? Entered service around 1972 if my memory is correct and that pic is a recent Terminator!

Hi gang, does any one have good close up shots of the mods done to QF-4s?

The antenna, sensors, control boxes etc.

Specifically QF-4G's

Jake and I were at Tyndall in May for the launching of the last of the QF-4s. We both have a lot of pics of the details, this is the only one I have uploaded at the moment, the front pit of the Very Last QRF-4C.

UhqFm7n.jpg

Here's "Kodak" shooting the same jet, you can see some of the antenna mods on the spine, tail & wingtips, also the "box" on the port intake, seen just above the wing. And yes, they launch with the centerline tank on the "kill" missions.

5BAEq24.jpg

Edited by habu2