F-4 Phantom Parking Only...

Hi guys, I'm planning for a future build and I thought I'd ask some info about a particular aircraft.

The aircraft I want to build is Phantom No. 69-7204. I have several decals for this aircraft and would like to portray her life from the beginning to end with three different builds. I know that she started life as a F-4E fresh out the factory for the RAAF:

697204r.jpg

And later she was modified to become an F-4G:

Phantom_69_7204.jpg

What I'm missing is the details when she was returned to the USAF after the loan to Australia before she was converted to become a Wild Weasel, like the squadrons, tailcodes, etc, or if there are any decals for it. Can anyone help?

Is that a Pave Spike? Aren't they way outdated by now? Entered service around 1972 if my memory is correct and that pic is a recent Terminator!

Lol, commenting on the outdated Pave Spike pod, but not on the even older plane itself with a FY 1968 serial. Just shows how cool the Phantom is.

From J Baugher site;

(MSN 3857) returned to USAF 10/15/1972. Modified to F-4G Apr 1979. To AMARC as FP1006 11/2/1996. To Holloman AFB as QF-4G drone AF144 7/10/1997. W/o Aug 10, 2006

Unfortunatelly no info on her service between 72-79 :(

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/76181/M/USA-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4G-Phantom-II/69-7204/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-QF-4G/1129782/&sid=92b6aaeb1fbaa9ad8169d74df7c5d152

http://www.pbase.com/mporteng/image/96690128

McDonnell Douglas F-4G's 69-7204, 69-7546 & 69-0298 190th TFS Idaho ANG 13-04-94

From the guy who runs Forgotten Jets/Millionmonkeytheater.com :

F-4E-43-MC s/n 69-7204 *1970-72: Loaned to the Australian AF.

*10/1972: Returned to the USAF.

*USAF 21st CW.

*USAF 31st TFW.

*USAF 347th TFW.

*4/1979: Upgraded to F-4G.

*1981: USAF 81st TFS (52nd TFW).

*1989: USAF 563rd TFS (37th TFW).

*1990: USAF 35th TFW.

*1991-92: USAF 562nd TFS (35th TFW).

*1996: Idaho ANG 190th TFS.

*11/1996: Put into storage at the AMARC bone yard.

*Converted to QF-4G drone AF144.

*8/10/2006: Written off.

Hi guys, I'm planning for a future build and I thought I'd ask some info about a particular aircraft.

The aircraft I want to build is Phantom No. 69-7204. I have several decals for this aircraft and would like to portray her life from the beginning to end with three different builds. I know that she started life as a F-4E fresh out the factory for the RAAF:

And later she was modified to become an F-4G:

What I'm missing is the details when she was returned to the USAF after the loan to Australia before she was converted to become a Wild Weasel, like the squadrons, tailcodes, etc, or if there are any decals for it. Can anyone help?

The photo below indicates that she spent some time as a fighter with the USAF at Moody AFB.

F_4E_69_7204_my.jpg

I can't recall ever seeing a photo of an F-4C or F-4E with black undersides.

As far as I know, only the 'Night Owl' F-4D's wore that scheme.

Of course, if anyone knows differently and has photos...

I'm at work now but when I get home I'll check because Im almost positive they are in Jake's Modern Phantom Guide.

They are. The last 15-20 pages are pics of the QF-4s and their mods.

Jake

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

57FIS F-4E's, I know they were slatted birds however what I'm looking for is info on whether they had the belly strap and the smokeless J79's. I'm pretty sure they didn't for the latter based on some pictures I have seen however there's not a large number of pics available of the 57th so I thought I'd ask.

*Had a stupid moment, I asked 56, meant 57.

Edited by Whiskey

The 56th never flew F-4's. Do you mean the 57th FIS at Keflavik?

All surviving F-4E's up to 71-0236 recieved the belly strap when updated to the slatted wing. After 71-0236 they were reinforced internally.

• 2 weeks later...

57FIS F-4E's, I know they were slatted birds however what I'm looking for is info on whether they had the belly strap and the smokeless J79's. I'm pretty sure they didn't for the latter based on some pictures I have seen however there's not a large number of pics available of the 57th so I thought I'd ask.

*Had a stupid moment, I asked 56, meant 57.

Belly strap, for sure yes (as was mentioned) since the 57 FIS flew 1966 and 67 model F-4Es. Smokeless engines- depends. At the two F-4E bases I was at (George AFB 1982-83, and Ramstein AB 1983-1986) smokeless engines were slowly replacing the smokey engines. In 1982 only a few F-4Es had smokeless, but by about 1985 smokeless were very much predominant. I am sure the 57th was likewise changing out their engines at the same time.

I went to Red Flag with 62 MAW C-141Bs in 1989. All of the F-4Es and Gs there were smokeless, but by then the 57 FIS was flying F-15s.

Probably used to landing at airfields rather than carriers:

x.jpg

Jari

Almost certainly the dragchute door latch was worn or misadjusted. If the door pops open with the chute deployment handle (on the left side of the pilot's seat) in the down position, the chute will deploy then jettison as it inflates. The retaining jaws that hold the chute to the aircraft only lock closed when the handle is raised. Raising the handle also unlatches the door.