Tamiya F4U-1

OK gang, the Tamiya corsairs have a nicely formed 'dimple' on the upper and lower surface of each wing tip. Does anyone have any idea what they are supposed to represent? This feature is seen on both the 1/72 and 1/48 kits, but nothing like it is visible on any of the photos that I have seen.

The upper dimples are blue formation lights. Check a copy of F4U Corsair in Detail and Scale (Vol. 55) - page 42. Don't putty them over! Paint 'em.... well... blue.

Not sure what you are referring to on the lower side. They did add the blue formation lights (same as upper ones) to both lower wings in later versions like the F4U-5, but not on earlier versions.

Also, there are 3 coloured (red, green and amber - front to rear) identification lights, but only on the lower right wing - the left lower wing should be clean as far as the reference shows for versions before the F4U-5 .

Barry, sounds like I may have been too late to save your lights from the putty monster though.

B)

Edited by Woodman

I don't think that they should be there. There is a spring closed hand hold that Tamiya has represented, at least in 1:48 further aft of the marks in question, it is where it should be. My D&S book states that some corsairs had a white tear drop recognition light, but it was only on the upper right wing, and it was directly in front of the blue round light. the info is on page 42 of the detail and scale book. So my thoughts are either Tamiya got the placement and number of the teardrop light wrong, or they were trying to represent a sag in the fabric wing panels, or they made a mistake. From what I can tell these marks do not belong and should be filled.

Ron