F/A-18 A/A+/B/C/D Hornet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here are some good shots of Joker 401 and three others. I took these in '05 I think riding the Omega Tanker to to Fallon, 4 of our birds flew in formation with us and tanked across counrty.

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

Sorry about the graininess, they are pictures of pictures, my scanner is down.

The vert stab tips are "Blaster Blue" on the CAG birds and on the rest they were black, not true black, can't remember the color paint, but blackish. They were like that because we lost a pilot during workups for the '04 deployment, we carried the black tips for I believe 4 years, then we were made to take them off. There is a painting on the hanger wall in memory of said pilot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like those Aussies were rippin' it up pretty good. Nice pics!

Thanks, yeah, the Aussies always put on a good show :). Sinc the mid-2000's or so they have put on some really energetic routines for the Hornet and F-111, some of the best fast jet displays I have ever seen. A fun moment was when half of the four-ship ran the length of the show line, over the crowd, in full afterburner at 200ft or so on their buzz and break for landing. By the end of the run the speedbrakes were coming out to keep the speed down and the noise UP :). The F-111's are gone now, but sooner or later I'm hoping we'll see the F's that replaced them over here.

• 1 month later...