F/A-18 A/A+/B/C/D Hornet

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since VFA-122 no longer flies Legacy Hornets, who is flying the Centennial Hornet they used to have ? VMFAT-101, VFA-106? Also VFC-12 is in the process of of turning over their C models to VFA-87 in exchange for 87's older A's. Will that CoNA bird be repainted and go to 87 as well ?

Since VFA-122 no longer flies Legacy Hornets, who is flying the Centennial Hornet they used to have ? VMFAT-101, VFA-106? Also VFC-12 is in the process of of turning over their C models to VFA-87 in exchange for 87's older A's. Will that CoNA bird be repainted and go to 87 as well ?

I thought VFA-122 is still training Legacy Hornet students since taking over for VFA-125 ...

-Gregg

I thought VFA-122 is still training Legacy Hornet students since taking over for VFA-125 ...

-Gregg

Maybe they are. But I know at some point all Legacy training will be done by VFA-106 at Oceana. VFA-122 will only be E/F then. (In fact VFA-122's demo team this year is only E/F. Last year it included a legacy team also.) The ramp space and lower amount of flights by 122 will allow for the Navy's 60/40 basing policy and make room for VFA-86 who has already arrived and two additional squadrons that are supposed to relocate from Oceana by 2014. (VFA-81 and VFA-34 I would guess but it was reported that both squadrons would be Supers, so who knows)

Edited by Moffettflyer

-Gregg

VFA-122 still flies legacy hornets-

CONA 2011 bird

conavfa122cmodel.jpg

Centennial of Marine Corps Aviation 2012 bird

MCCOMA2012.jpg

Edited by Warbird Keith

While doing some research for a build I ran across the following:

http://md90.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_488/md_90/IMG_7651-b3a39.jpg

http://f.hatena.ne.jp/mi28/20110104155029

http://f15-eagle.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_66e/f15-eagle/DPP_0026-3cd63.JPG

I don't think 2Bobs included this option in his long sold out decal sheet.......

Edited by fasteagle12

The ramp space and lower amount of flights by 122 will allow for the Navy's 60/40 basing policy and make room for VFA-86 who has already arrived and two additional squadrons that are supposed to relocate from Oceana by 2014. (VFA-81 and VFA-34 I would guess but it was reported that both squadrons would be Supers, so who knows)

It sounds to me like an old tune: let's relocate two F/A-18E/F squadrons to Cherry Point it was?;) The English version of Wikipedia is stubbornly stating that VFA-34 is slated to transtion to Echo, now even giving the timeline for late 2012.

BTW, from my experience so-called "unit talk" is not too much welcomed on some aviation forums. I hope it is not forbidden here?

It sounds to me like an old tune: let's relocate two F/A-18E/F squadrons to Cherry Point it was?;) The English version of Wikipedia is stubbornly stating that VFA-34 is slated to transtion to Echo, now even giving the timeline for late 2012.

BTW, from my experience so-called "unit talk" is not too much welcomed on some aviation forums. I hope it is not forbidden here?

I hope that it isn't as well. No one has said otherwise. I quite enjoy having other to talk with about such things. My wife and kids look at me like I'm speaking Latin.

• 3 weeks later...