F/A-18 A/A+/B/C/D Hornet

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, am I the only one to remember that while VMFA(AW)-332 were deactivated, it was promised they were going to be the first VMFA for F-35B? :blink:

I do too. 332 arent the next one in line after 121 either, its gonna be:

http://www.yumasun.com/news/hicks-82944-aircraft-squadron.html

211.......and with the current pattern in numbers, it would be funny if -112 got them afterwards!

BTW, am I the only one to remember that while VMFA(AW)-332 were deactivated, it was promised they were going to be the first VMFA for F-35B? :blink:

That's right, and VMFA-212 was supposed to come back with the F-35 also. But the USMC instead decided not to bring back either of these squadrons.

Jeff

The article mentions that the reasons for VMA-211 transitioning are they loses of as many as 6 aircraft recently in combat (I am not sure what is PAA number for USMC Harrier squadrons - 16?). Also, I think some political correctness, with F/A-18 and AV-8B communities starting the transition to F-35B at the same time.

I wouldn't be surprised if, beside VMFA(AW)-332, VMFA-212 and VMFAT-101 (someday), some other Hornet/Harrier squadrons, incl. VMFA-112, are "lost in transition". The VMA reserve all vanished with the introduction of AV-8B and retirement of A-4 Skyhawk...

• 1 month later...

I was going to post this to the thread dealing with the release of the crash report for 188738. I was working the day she crashed, and was planing on heading down to Lethbridge the next day to see her in the very nice RCN commemerative scheme.

Well, I guess I missed the chance to shoot the airshow scheme, but thought I would share a shot of her a few months before it was painted.

738 was chosen for no reason other than it was due to get refinished around the same time a demo scheme would be applied.

So, here she is, (the before picture)

2009-05-25-YOD0116_zpseccdc297.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, that bird has been pictured all over, and rightly so.

Is that a buddy refueling store on the outboard pylon? If so, can it be used there? I thought legacy hornets were only plumbed on the inner wing and centerline stations. If it is not a buddy store, what is it?

Yes, that bird has been pictured all over, and rightly so.

Is that a buddy refueling store on the outboard pylon? If so, can it be used there? I thought legacy hornets were only plumbed on the inner wing and centerline stations. If it is not a buddy store, what is it?

Certainly not an expert, but I think that is a travel pod, modified from a fuel tank..... the experts will know for sure.

Certainly not an expert, but I think that is a travel pod, modified from a fuel tank..... the experts will know for sure.

It is a "blivet" (Travel pod). Made from a 300 gallon Aero 1D drop tank. Same tank the A-4, A-1, A-6, A-7 and many others used.

HTH,

Gabe

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...