1/144 Boeing 747 and Space Shuttle Enterprise

I agree about the box art as it comes from a time when dramatic box art could really sell a kit. Compared to the Columbia and Challenger boxings from the 1980s, the Enterprise and 747 box I think was the coolest looking of the lot.

So Justin, have you come up with a plan of attack for the 747 American polished paintjob? I was thinking about going the Alclad route myself when I get around to doing one of these.

I built one of those back in the day! I think I was 14 at the time. I even used some AA decals to create the impression of where they were on the fuse after Nasa removed them. It was even a multi-hued NMF. I remember using the FSM article as a guide.

Boy, I wish I still had that model but it didn't survive Mom's cleaning of my room after I went to college. :beer4:

Have fun building that kit.

Jeff

Thanks everyone!

As far as the BMF goes I'd been thinking Alclad over gloss black myself. I've generally had decent luck with Alclad but I've never sprayed it on something this big before, and I've had a few problems with cracking and other blemishes from time to time. If I get too squirrelly on this I could go for Tamiya AS-12 or something like that, maybe with a few Alclad polished aluminum patches. But I'll see.

Justin

• 2 months later...

Well everyone, just a quick update.

I've been really slacking on my building the last few weeks and months. But this weekend I'll get started again. I've got the orbiter halves assembled and I'm starting to get a little "itch" for building again. We'll see if I can get this built. I need to finish SOMETHING.

Justin

• 1 month later...