• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Chris,

I really doubt if this bird won at William Tell. The pilot might have but not in that bird. The 479th TAC fighter Group was a Tactical Air Command organization and thus not eligible to participate in an ADC event. 914 was assigned to the 434th when I was at George. Another thing you might reconsider is the wing pylons did NOT carry AIM 9 Sidewinders.  The only thing we carried there was tanks. Later in VN they used those pylons to carry dumb bombs. I would also take exception to the comments regarding fuel and range. With air-to-air refueling range wasn't a big issue. Like every other strike fighter in VN , tankers supported the strike both coming and going. Without those tankers nobody was going downtown. 

We flew about the same cycle with the F-104Cs as we had with the previous F-100C. Fuel is always in short supply no matter what you're flying. Probably the only guys that never worry about it are the tanker guys. Everybody else sweats the fuel as soon as he unplugs from the tanker.

Norm Filer

Well, that is a horse on me. Just looked up the William Tell winners and guess what? Chris is right. I left the Air Force in 1960 and while I was there TAC could not play in the ADC competition. We always figured we were better than those ADC guys and maybe the win in '62 proves it. &>)

Norm

1 hour ago, nfiler said:

We always figured we were better than those ADC guys and maybe the win in '62 proves it. &>)

Norm

Certainly seemed that way in '62! ;-)

And of course, you're absolutely right on the Sidewinder carriage. Sloppiness on my part. I was probably getting the underwing stations mixed up with the underfuselage launcher (Grindstone mod?) that was wasn't used in service by US -104s in any case...

Edited by Chris717
  • 8 months later...