This picture reminds me about and article I've read somewhere. They said that the people from Lockheed based the U-2 design in the F-104 fuselage.

Yup - the initial CL-282.

cl-2821.jpg

Once you look for it, the U-2's Starfigher roots are rather obvious.

Cheers,

Andre

I took this photo at Fairchild AFB, WA at the Armed Forces Day Open House/Air Show in May, 1982. The CF-101Bs in the background were from 409 Squadron, CFB Comox, BC, but I don't remember where the CF-104s were from. Maybe someone can help with that one.

Mark

CAF104May82.jpg

The 104s would be from 417 squadron as they were the only CF-104 squadron in Canada. All the others in that time frame (421, 439 and 441) were in Germany still.

The CT-133 would be the west coast target squadron, VU-33.

Back in January, 1983 I wrote the public affairs office at Luke AFB requesting a patch. I got a very nice form letter back explaining that "monetary cutbacks" forced them to discontinue requests such as that, but they did send me a bunch of fact sheets, and a very nice 5x7 glossy of this F-104! I always thought that for all that work they could have thrown a patch in!

Mark

F-104_13234.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have clear pictures of the cockpit area of a Dual seat F-104? I am looking for info on the rivet and other fasteners in that area but I am having trouble finding something usefull.

Another question I have is about RNLAF RF-104G D-8059.

D8059_MFG-2_Zap.jpg

For a while it wore various MFG-2 zaps in yellow however photo's show a red marking on the tail too, I don't have clear pictures of this logo and thus have no idea what it was. Does anyone here know more?

For a while it wore various MFG-2 zaps in yellow however photo's show a red marking on the tail too, I don't have clear pictures of this logo and thus have no idea what it was. Does anyone here know more?

Wow, very very nice!! I may be able to identify that marking, but you will need to post a photo of it, however crappy it is. I was a spotter at Volkel, and these markings were most likely applied during the squadron rotation with MFG2, in 1982 I think. The red marking could also be a zap from another unit.

A couple of small remarks about the artwork:

- the seat appears to be too high, and I miss the gunsight

- you may have missed a small NACA duct just below the glassfiber cover behind the cockpit, ECM cooling I think, RNLAF specific, but I don't see it in all photos

- below the number '8' there's another small NACA duct, in line with the small bulge under the '5'

- the serial number looks smallish to me. It should be 480 mm high

- all drop tanks had a bare aluminium nose cap, and a straight camouflage demarcation, not slightly wavy

Are you planning to sell prints? I would love one!

Rob

- you may have missed a small NACA duct just below the glassfiber cover behind the cockpit, ECM cooling I think, RNLAF specific, but I don't see it in all photos

I've only seen those extra intakes on Dutch Starfighters, and, to be specific, only on late Volkel Wing ones. These seem to coincide with the appearance of the ECM bumps onder the nose of later non-interceptor Starfighters.

However, Verlinden's F-104 Lock On states that these vents are for driving off gun gases, which at first doesn't make sense to me considering 1) the Leeuwarden interceptors, which would definately use the M61, don't have the vents and 2) one is located on the spine, which seems an illogical location for a gun gas purge vent, but then again from a quickie search I see them on a lot of 311/312 Squadron strikefighters, but at the moment I can't seem to find any pictures of ECM-equipped but cannonless 306 Squadron RF-104G's with the vents.

I'll do some more research when time permits...

Cheers,

Andre

However, Verlinden's F-104 Lock On states that these vents are for driving off gun gases, which at first doesn't make sense to me considering 1) the Leeuwarden interceptors, which would definately use the M61, don't have the vents and 2) one is located on the spine, which seems an illogical location for a gun gas purge vent, but then again from a quickie search I see them on a lot of 311/312 Squadron strikefighters, but at the moment I can't seem to find any pictures of ECM-equipped but cannonless 306 Squadron RF-104G's with the vents.

I went through the photo section of the Van Gent book, showing every Dutch 104, and your observation appears to be correct: the NACA inlet near the spine is only seen on 311/312sqn aircraft with ECM.

Dammit, I engraved a nice NACA duct in my 1/72 RF-104 under construction, now I have to fill it :-)

Rob

Wow, very very nice!! I may be able to identify that marking, but you will need to post a photo of it, however crappy it is. I was a spotter at Volkel, and these markings were most likely applied during the squadron rotation with MFG2, in 1982 I think. The red marking could also be a zap from another unit.

A couple of small remarks about the artwork:

- the seat appears to be too high, and I miss the gunsight

- below the number '8' there's another small NACA duct, in line with the small bulge under the '5'

- the serial number looks smallish to me. It should be 480 mm high

- all drop tanks had a bare aluminium nose cap, and a straight camouflage demarcation, not slightly wavy

Are you planning to sell prints? I would love one!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I will PM you the photo's I have as they aren't mine, I just found them on google images.

- The seat height was adjustable, the one I am showing it in is about average. Gunsight I will look into.

- As later posts show NACA intake ducts are very hard to predict. For this one I will need one between the faired over gun port and the bump on the gun compartment door. The one below the UHF panel I am judging per plane as I find photo's of them.

- The serial number is scalled to photographs in relation to the intake and other parts but I will check it to be sure :jaw-dropping:

For more of my starfighter drawings check my thread in the Aviation Art subforum over here and if you want to order a print you can check out my publishers aviation-graphic.com over there . Not all my RNLAF 104 profiles are there yet, I still need to check them over for various small things as the ducts and I am still check over the camouflage pattern accuracy.

Here's a pic showing the upper vent in question:

http://www.cavok-aviation-photos.net/F104G_D8051.jpg

it's just above the 05.

Jari

Yes but that is on D-8051 a non RF-104G (Recon machine). The dutch RF's had the gunport faired over and a tank in the place of the M61 gun and all appeared to lack the upper vent, I still do need to add the lower vent as Rob kindly pointed out. I have drawn 8051 but I still need to add theupper vent to my drawing. This is just a WIP shot

D8051_UFO_Snoopy.jpg

I would like to add some armament too, hopefully a Rocket Bomb Dispenser that was used a lot by Volkel based machines but I really need to good close ups of the RBD. So far the best I have found are from too far away and have only allowed me to draw the most basic details.

Edited by Lieuwe

Lieuwe, I could do you a scan from the Van Gent book Rob mentioned, which has a section on the dispenser as well as a schematic.

I won't be able to scan it for you until the weekend, though.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre
Lieuwe, I could do you a scan from the Van Gent book Rob mentioned, which has a section on the dispenser as well as a schematic.

I won't be able to scan it for you until the weekend, though.

Cheers,

Andre

That would be awesome Andre, thank you! :thumbsup: Could you send me the ISBN number etc. for the book too? Sounds like a great resource!

Edited by Lieuwe