That would be awesome Andre, thank you! :bandhead2: Could you send me the ISBN number etc. for the book too? Sounds like a great resource!

It is! It's long OOP, I'm afraid - I only managed to get my hands on a second hand example (at De Slegte) at a premium (but it's worth it!)

"De Starfighter: de geschiedenis van de Starfighter in Nederland", C.J. van Gent, Uitgeverij de Alk, 1986, ISBN 90-9013-935-6.

1251632514002.jpg

His companion NF-5 book is worth hunting down as well.

Proost,

Andre

Edited by Andre

Found one in Belgium for Five euro's! Hope he still has it and is willing to ship to The Netherlands (probably not).

Questions about CF-104's: "

- Did they ever recieve a ejection seat update or did they continue to use the C2 seat?

- Does anyone have closeups of the ECM antenna on the nose and on the tail?

Edited by Lieuwe
Found one in Belgium for Five euro's! Hope he still has it and is willing to ship to The Netherlands (probably not).

Questions about CF-104's: "

- Did they ever recieve a ejection seat update or did they continue to use the C2 seat?

- Does anyone have closeups of the ECM antenna on the nose and on the tail?

The Canadians used the C-2 seat until '104 retirement

ECM close-ups, I don't have, but there is one pic in the Verlinden Lock -on series

Tony

The CF-104 didn't have ECM, the blisters under the nose and tail were for the RHAW gear that told the pilot he was being tracked by radar and from which direction.

Jari

Ok, cool something new learned :) Does any have pictures of the RHAWS blisters then?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I am currently trying to draw a series of F-104N's, the ones used by NASA. I am running into problems with N826NA, here is what I have so far:

F-104N_NASA_N826NA.jpg

However on this picture I found online I am seeing more markings around the nose cone and a modified pitot tube

826_Last_Flight.jpg

Picture from NASA I believe. Does anyone have pictures of the modified pitot tube and the markings on the nose cone?

However on this picture I found online I am seeing more markings around the nose cone and a modified pitot tube

That's not all! - #826 featured test aerofoils mounted under the fuselage.

There's a bigger pic over at the NASA site that shows these a bit more clearly than in your pic, where they could be misinterpreted for the MLG doors:

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/F-1.../EC80-14126.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

(BTW: I'll get around to do the promised scanning tomorrow evening.)

You mean the object mounted under the fuselage Andre? :bandhead2:

Yup! Seems like quite an interesting bird:

F-104, tail number 826, was flown by NASA at the Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, Calif., as an aeronautical experiments testbed.

The aircraft was distinguished by a pylon called a flight test fixture (FTF) mounted on the fuselage centerline between the main landing gear.

Articles to be tested were attached to or installed in the FTF, which was instrumented to record the research data aboard the aircraft. The instrumentation package also transmitted the same data in "real time" to engineers in Dryden's mission control room as test events took place.

(source)

Edit: in addition, Here is the NASA factsheet on 826, including a few pics.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre

Yeah! Would be cool to draw it with the FTF in place but I reckon good photo's of it must be nearly impossible to find. Would it be at all feasible to try and get info from NASA directly?

I managed to finish this one except for some bits and bobs on the wingtip :bandhead2:

F-104N_NASA_812.jpg

Edited by Lieuwe
It is! It's long OOP, I'm afraid - I only managed to get my hands on a second hand example (at De Slegte) at a premium (but it's worth it!)

"De Starfighter: de geschiedenis van de Starfighter in Nederland", C.J. van Gent, Uitgeverij de Alk, 1986, ISBN 90-9013-935-6.

His companion NF-5 book is worth hunting down as well.

Proost,

Andre

Lucky you!

I've been looking for that book for years. If you see or hear of another, let me know!

Though i am lucky enough to have the NF-5 book.

Alvast bedankt,

Ruud

Edited by Ruud
Well I have neither :cheers:

Well, not to brag, but I have both. ;)

I visit my local De Slegte (where I got both of the Van Gent books) on a regular basis - I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...