Special Hobby X-15/ Newware XLR-11 engine conversion

And I'm underway...

As the XLR-11 were used on the X-15 A1, the first step is to saw the fuselage halves in half and remove a section in order to shorten the Special Hobby kit to the correct length....

Then, saw the back end off in order to allow the resin conversion for the XLR-11 to be put in place...

And once that was done, sit back and thank my lucky stars that I didn't botch it up! <_<

Pics to follow...

• 2 weeks later...

Wishing you a pleasant build. I've done it several years ago.

One advice - first glue sliced fuselages before gluing top and bottom halves. Apart from this the conversion is a snap...

Here is mine...hope I am not stealing your topic...

bok0sm.jpg

x15-4.jpg

Good luck...

• 2 months later...

Ye Gods - I started this in October?

Well, progress has been less than stellar (on this build anyways). Back in October, this is what it looked like after I finished with the razor saw...

X-15chopcopy.jpg

This is what it looks like today..

X-15together.jpg

X-15pit.jpg

As you can see, the fuselage has been shortened, and the joint has been filled and partially sanded. Cockpit has been given a coat of paint, and some of the other minor bits have been done. It isn`t much, but it is progress! Hopefully, the pit will be finished and I can get the fuselage together. Once that occurs, things should start to move a bit faster.

Grant