F-6D "Snooks 5th" prop blades?

hi all

I have the sheet from Aeromaster with markings for this aircraft.

knows anyone the prop type used on the F-6D from W.T.Shomo?

I read about Aeroproduct blades used on most late F-6 but found some with hamilton blades...

cant find any photo of this aircraft...any help?

many many thanks for any response!

hi all

I have the sheet from Aeromaster with markings for this aircraft.

knows anyone the prop type used on the F-6D from W.T.Shomo?

For "Snooks 5th", the F-6D? That was 44-14841 flown by Capt. Shomo on 11 Jan 45 when he shot down a Betty and 6 Tony's. It had the cuffed HS prop. Which decal set are you using? "Snooks 6th", the P-51D also named the "Flying Undertaker" was 44-72505. This P-51D is the best known of Shomo's aircraft.

Don

Don is right, Shomo's Mustang had the classic cuffed Hamilton Standard.

It's true there were more F-6Ks (derived from P-51Ks /Aeroproducts proppellers) than F-6Ds (derived from P-51Ds /Hamilton Standard propellers).

• 1 month later...

If you have the same sheet as I have (can't remember the ref number), check this book out: http://books.google.com/books?id=PtimzeNgN...amp;output=html

Profile #25 is the "Flying Undertaker" depicted on the decals; the book says it's a P-51D. Profile 24 is "Snooks 5th", an F-6D which Shomo was flying when he shot down the seven a/c. (I didn't get all that from just the link, I have the book).

I'm thinking I'll do Snooks 5th, even though it is less colourful, just need to source some serials.

HTH,

You have to remember the Aeroproducts prop was produced so there was a back up if there was a problem with the Ham Standard production line. They had problems with the Aeroproducts unit even during production (very hard to balance, leading to an 18% rejection rate off the production line)

I've seen a couple of sources that would indicate that some units operating Mustangs equipped w/the Aeroproducts prop (P51Ks and F6s) replaced the origional prop with a Ham Standard as soon as they could. Not a hard operation as they were both hydromatic props. Just remove the Aeroproducts prop, install a Ham Standard, check the blade pitch stops were in the proper location and fly. Could very easily have been done to Shomo's F6.