I popped over to RAF Waddington yesterday and saw this.................

AN-124Waddington181207.jpg

The AN-124 was at RAF Waddington to pick up a Nimrod MR.2 that has been at Waddington for a couple of years. The airframe had been stripped down and was to be ferried to BAE Systems Woodford for conversion to Nimrod MRA.4.

The AN-124 was at RAF Waddington to pick up a Nimrod MR.2 that has been at Waddington for a couple of years. The airframe had been stripped down and was to be ferried to BAE Systems Woodford for conversion to Nimrod MRA.4.

i think thats the same one that was in ottawa a few weeks ago. My gf works at the airprot and says that its in here every week or so. not sure what they are moving tho. hopefulyy she gets me some pics next time.

sean

Funny you guys posted this, I was at work and around midnight we got a call for a ill person on the inobund Hawaii airlines flight that comes in around midnight every day. So as we hopped into the truck and the door went up we heard this ungawdly sound and lo and behold if it wasn't this monster just getting up into the air. I;m going WOW di ya see that and the rest of the crew was like "Ya whatever" and we went onto the call. Even if I had a camera I would have had a chance for a pic becasue it happend so fast and it was dark out. Thats one big airplane.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Wow...wierd thing happened. I was just talking to Super Hornet 88 on the phone and was telling him how dead Vandenberg had been flight-wise for the past couple weeks, and not an hour after I got off the phone with him, a C-5 rumbles over the house :yahoo:.

Spooooooooooky :thumbsup:...

I was driving by Willow Grove NAS in just north of Philly and was surprised to see a mini-museum next to the road (it has been about 10 years since I last traveled in that area). Outside there is a beautiful HUP, a SeaBat, a Cutlass, a Sea Dart (what a wild SciFi looking bird that one is!), and Panther, Fury, A-4M and a Stoof. Though the museum was closed today, looking through the glass I could see a Me-262 and a P-80. I tried to get some pix, but between the cold and the chain link fence that didn't work out so well. I want to go back there when the weather warms up and the museum is open.

What I saw today at Willow Grove was a nice change from years ago, when they had a Me-262B and a Japanese plane (Rex?) sitting outside, rotting away. I hope the Japanese plane went to a good home.

I saw an F-4 do a touch-n-go @ KFHU. WITW? The only F-4s I can think of in this part of the country are at AMARC or HMN. I was too far away to see a tail code but it wasn't sporting a QF-4 paint job (and why would a drone T-n-G? To keep it's skills sharp?)

• 4 weeks later...

Where I live out in the woods of N/W Washington just off the Hood Canal, I see this big Guy come by maybe two times a week on its way to Japan. My son in law, and my son both work at Boeing. I get in the plant now and then. "Boats"..747-400_Dreamlifter.jpg

I forgot about this thread. The missus and I were in Fort Meyers Beach 2 weeks ago and we took a trip to Naples on Jan 29th. While sitting in a friend's backyard, I hear the unmistakable noise of large radial engines. I looked up and saw a B-17. It was a fair piece up so I couldn't tell what model or markings but the large tail was a dead giveaway.

Same thing happened while we were back at the condo in Fort Myers Beach the next day. We were having lunch and I heard the same aircraft engines and lo and behold it was a B-17. Again, I couldn't make out colours, etc but the tail gave it away as a B-17. I'd seen a few in static display but never in flight.

No photos unfortunately.

Edited by AX 365

I get to see this big bad boy about two times a week heading back to Japan to pick up parts fot the Boeing 787. The Ft path for Japan and Alaska is right over us and I'm some 90 miles from Seattle. My Son and Son in Law both work there. Been right up to this Dreamlifter and it is BIG. "Boats"..747-400_Dreamlifter.jpg

I saw an F-4 do a touch-n-go @ KFHU. WITW? The only F-4s I can think of in this part of the country are at AMARC or HMN. I was too far away to see a tail code but it wasn't sporting a QF-4 paint job (and why would a drone T-n-G? To keep it's skills sharp?)

Several QF-4s are flying around doing PR work and appearances. Many have been given a fresh paint scheme, if you look closely enough you can still see the orange in places. This one was a EAA last summer.

f4phantom.jpg

I forgot about this thread. The missus and I were in Fort Meyers Beach 2 weeks ago and we took a trip to Naples on Jan 29th. While sitting in a friend's backyard, I hear the unmistakable noise of large radial engines. I looked up and saw a B-17. It was a fair piece up so I couldn't tell what model or markings but the large tail was a dead giveaway.

Same thing happened while we were back at the condo in Fort Myers Beach the next day. We were having lunch and I heard the same aircraft engines and lo and behold it was a B-17. Again, I couldn't make out colours, etc but the tail gave it away as a B-17. I'd seen a few in static display but never in flight.

No photos unfortunately.

I think I saw that same plane up here in Tampa. I saw it land at a local airport along with a B-25 at the same time. First time I'd ever seen and heard one in flight as well, and it was awesome. Those four radials have a very unique sound.

Matt

P.S.- Ft. Myers is nice! My family used to vacation down there.

Interesting day here...got buzzed by a T-38 5 (yes, 5 :thumbsup:) times. First three passes it was too far away to make out (I was guessing T-38 because it wasn't loud enough to be a Hornet or Viper), but the 4th pass was absolutely beautiful. Directly over my house at about 1,000 feet it goes into a nice sharp bank to make the turn into Vandenberg. Same thing happened on pass #5, but it was a lot higher.

I saw an OLYMPIC A-340 come inot YOW last night. VERY uncommon. flew in..stuck around for about 2 hours then left.

the pictures are alittle grainy as I still dont have my new camera and at the time my cell phone was the only camera I had..and it was dark..and it was snowing :thumbsup: ...

but anyways...here are the pics

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Sean