I went to the Santa Paula Airport, in beautiful sunny southern california today and was really impressed by the turn out. i'll post a few pics of some of what i saw, but off the top of my head was a beautiful Decathlon, and a wonderfully restored Tiger Moth, and an equally beautiful Gipsy Moth. Also, a great lookin Mooney M20G.

Jason

Not today, more like a week ago - a KC-135 refueling a C-5 just north of Greater Pitt. Off a good distance, so I couldn't make out the refueling probe, but they were definitely lined up. I see the -135s and C-130s daily with an occassional C-5, but never refueling.

Saw a P-3 inbound to Vandenberg today as I was driving to the gym, then shortly after I got home I heard a fast-mover flying around, so I tore out of the house like my you-know-what was on fire, freaking out the dog, and I couldn't find it. Needless to say, I was NOT a happy camper :).

Usually, fast-movers flying in here are either T-38's, Vipers, Hornets and the occasional Super Hornet, so the temptation to blow off my computer programming class and just take a quick run by the flightline on base was almost overwhelming, but I resisted ;).

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Hughes 500 has been based at work the last few days, it flies around checking power lines and power poles.

The bloke kneeling infront of the chopper is hosing down the rotor blades, whilst they're spinning.

Hughes500.jpg

Denzil

Saw two Santa Fe engines pulling three very large flat cars towards KC at a rather rapid rate of speed. Each car carried a completed fuselage for a Boeing 767.

DDC

The guy isn't washing the blade, he's "tracking" them to determine that all the blades are in the same "track" as they rotate. The method he's using is the oldest method (most operators now use an electronic method which allow the blades to be tracked in flight as well as on the ground). Tracking is performed on helicopter rotors after maintenance is performed, at scheduled inspections and often when the pilot reports vibrations. Tracking is performed on airplane propellers but usually only after installation or if pilots report an apparent propeller related vibration.

Edited by Hawk10

Just saw a 747 Boeing flying over the house and it was SO low that you could even see the ORANGE on its tail and read the wording on its fornt " EASY JET """

Even the kid next door was delighted at seeing this....

I did not have MY camera with ME sorry..

Toowoomba, QLD - NA T-28 landed up after a few circuits. He's here for the annual 'David Hick something something...' at Toowoomba Airport, being held this weekend. The theme this year is 'Gathering of the Trojans'. I am gonna be one happy ninja! Pics to come....

Denzil

Meanwhile, Toowoomba airport has just been re-classified as an RPT airport, so we'll now be getting more commercial aircraft in, including this:

GAF Nomad N22. Bit of a rare sight these days.

DSC01652.jpg

Edited by DDC

This is a late post but my computer was down for 3 weeks waiting to get fixed. This past Saturday I saw a P-38 Lightning in a BMF flying around Omaha's Epply Airfiled. I couldn't get pictures of it because I was working there inside the fenceline. He made two passes and landed just as rain started to fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I took my grandma to pick up some new plants at Home Depot and happened to see two S-2's and a P-3 headed down to fight the fire in Santa Barbara. Didn't see it live and in person, but watching the fire coverage that has been on the local news 24-7 since it started Tuesday, they showed the DC-10 tanker doing some air attacks on the fire. Impressive sight...

About half an hour ago I was in the parking lot at work (near Toronto airport), looked up and saw a very dirty CF-18 with 2 tanks nice and low scream overhead headed straight south. Very loud and Coooooollllllllll

• 3 weeks later...

My uncle and aunt are visiting, so we went out to dinner and happened to see a USCG C-130 flying search tracks just off of Pismo Beach. Apparently a couple of guys sailing from Catalina Island to Monterey Bay never showed up, and Pismo is right smack in the middle, so it seems logical.

EDIT: Just heard on the news they found them alive.