Slow day today on the Virginia peninsula. I'm in between Langley AFB and Newport News/Williamsburg Airport and usually get a lot of different sightings but today only a few F-22s, a C-12 and a UH-60. Usually there will be a C-2, an E-2 or something bigger doing touch and goes at NN/W'burg and on the really good days, ATAC will have their Kfirs or Hunters buzzing the area but nothing today. Everyday can't be a winner.

• 2 weeks later...

VX-9 Rhinos were back in Green Bay for a flyover of Lambeau before the Packer game. After the flyover of the stadium, they did a flyover of the airport and landed. I lost the photos of the two that took off and did the flyover, but I caught them landing. Batteries died while shooting the takeoff and none of the photos saved. At least I caught them on the way back.

Before takeoff:

VX-9RhinosDec2011.jpg

My view of the runway for takeoff. They took off directly overhead. Wish the photos would have saved.

RunwayViewII.jpg

Flyover of the airport:

VX-9RhinosFlyoverofAirportII.jpg

Pitchout for landing:

VX-9RhinosFlyoverofAirport.jpg

Jet #1 landing:

VX-9RhinosNumberOneLanding.jpg

Jet #2 landing:

VX-9RhinosNumberTwoLandingWithTailStrobeLit.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the photos!

:cheers:

Justin

• 1 month later...

Singapore Airlines began A380 service from Singapore to New York (via Frankfurt) today, replacing the 747 that was on the route.

JM201201169V-SKK002-XL.jpg

JM201201169V-SKK003-XL.jpg

While we were waiting for the Singapore to arrive, I also caught the Korean A380 - it's been flying to JFK since last August. With Singapore, five of the seven A380 operators bring them to JFK.

JM20120116HL7615003-XL.jpg

We also had a bonus - this C-17 was carrying equipment for a POTUS visit later in the week. Also saw the gaggle of Marine helos, but they were too far away to get shots that I'm willing to post...

JM20120116C-17A03-3125001-XL.jpg

And I think this guy made the best landing of the day...

JM20120116JFKBird002-XL.jpg

JM20120116JFKBird003-XL.jpg

Hello.everybody. I live in Columbia, Missouri. I was at my modeling desk in my basement and heard a very loud rumbling noise. I opened up the back door and saw 10 AH-64 Apaches fly over in two flights(4 & 6). Based on local knowledge, they were from the 135th Aviation Battalion, MOARNG, based at Whiteman AFB, in Knob Noster, MO. I tried for a shot with my i-Phone, but at about 1000 feet, they hardly registered. Have a great day. Adios, Larry.

Coming back from an appointment earlier and caught a March-based KC-135 popping in, so I headed out to the Vandenberg flightline, kicked back and watched him shoot a few touch and goes. There was also a McChord C-17 parked on the transient ramp out there, which my uncle said he saw fly in yesterday.

You may remember last October the Navy retired an EA-6B Prowler with a flight into Republic Airport, ultimately to be displayed at the [Northrop] Grumman plant in Bethpage, NY. It has been parked out by the American Airpower Museum since. The seats were deactivated a few weeks ago, and today demilitarization work began. The work should be wrapped up on Wednesday.

JM20120124EA-6B162938001-XL.jpg

JM20120124EA-6B162938004-XL.jpg

JM20120124EA-6B162938002-XL.jpg

JM20120124EA-6B162938006-XL.jpg

JM20120124EA-6B162938005-XL.jpg

Also at Republic today, the television show Unforgettable was filming scenes for an upcoming episode. I haven't seen it, but it's a cop show starring Poppy Montgomery. They filmed some in the FBO and hangar next to the museum, and spent a good part of the day shooting on one of the runways. The set up for the scene has a suspect trying to escape in a small aircraft, and the cops drive alongside the plane on the runway and shoot out the nose wheel tire, forcing it to stop (I know, I know...) They went up and down the runway a bunch, with the plane (a Cessna Caravan) and the detectives' car (a Dodge Charger) followed by a camera truck.

JM20120124Unforgettable001-XL.jpg

JM20120124Unforgettable003-XL.jpg

JM20120124Unforgettable002-XL.jpg

JM20120124Unforgettable004-XL.jpg

JM20120124Unforgettable006-XL.jpg

02-01-2012_AC_boeing777_wm.jpg

Can't tell if this is a Triple 7 or what. Shot heading towards YVR and turning just over my sons' school in Surrey.

OK...just checked, it's a 777-333/ER ID-Tag: C-FIUR

02-01-2012_AC_Boeing777-333ER-CFIUR_wm.jpg

Edited by The_Animal

Actually a pretty busy week here at Vandenberg. Monday, on my way home from the gym, I happened to catch Orbital Sciences Corporation's L-1011 Stargazer on final into Vandenberg (it's used to carry Orbital's Pegasus rocket to the launch zone off the coast here, along with transporting parts, which is what it was doing when I saw it). Tuesday, an ED-based Raptor was playing around off the coast, doing some sort of supersonic testing, and delcared an IFE (no, not OBOGS, it was an electrical issue) which forced him to divert here...didn't physically see him or hear the boom, but it was all over the news. And finally today, had a C-5 shooting touch-n-goes out on base, so he flew over the house about 3 times, and saw Allegiant Air's MD-80 that makes the run from Santa Maria Airport (SMX) to Las Vegas McCarran.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see it today but on Wednesday 08 Feb, I was walking on the beach in Fort Myers and I heard the unmistakable drone of radial engines. I looked up and saw a B-17 - now known to be 'Nine-O-Nine' - flying overhead. No photos unfortunately.

Can't say say as I saw these guys... but I did a radio relay to air traffic control for two Canforce Hercs supporting the UN mission in Haiti day before yesterday on our way to Aruba.

Edited by skidbuggy

Nice catch on the Cathay 748, Dylan! We've had the Cargolux 748F into JFK a couple of times so far, but I haven't been able to catch it yet. And that 777 is from China Southern Airlines, so I assume the Chinese writing is the airline name (it's also in English on the fuselage).

thanks moose, the rampies at cathay were awesome! the lead came over to me and said i could get as close as i wanted...so I did. I shot about 400 pictures in 20 minutes the best ones can be found herelinky

the chinese writing thing was kind of tongue in cheek, its china southern airlines.

DSC_0083.jpg