My sightings are a little late as I've been down at the 2010 Winter Olympic pavillion sites. Earlier this week I saw a CF-18 fly over Richmond - too bad I didn't have my camera ready nor a pair of binoculars. On Wednesday, I saw the Snowboard Cross event silver medalist France's Deborah Anthonioz walking down Seymour Street with her teammates. Later in the day I got lucky, one of the last few people allowed in from the line up to see Alexandre Bilodeau, Canada's first gold medalist of the 2010 Winter games, at the Bell House stage being interviewed by Charmaine Crooks, Canadian Olympian. Then when I walking to the Yaletown live site, some dude said that this guy about 15 feet ahead of me was Ray Ferraro, TSN hockey analyst and former NHL forward - couldn't tell myself as he crossed the busy street before me and I didn't want to run to find out if it was true. All in all that was a pretty good couple of days. :coolio:

I got to see an IL-69 here today in Ottawa. Pretty impressive aircraft!!!!

This guy spent about 2.5- 3 hours in Ottawa today then departed for the US southwest creating a lot of smoke and sounding really great, although some may say he just made a lot of noise.

Wayne

Wayne,

that was the third one here in the past 2 weeks. They are flying troops and supplies down to Nevada for training. I heard there is supposed to be one more in the next little while.

Sean

I didn't have my camera ready nor a pair of binoculars.

aerofan, that's Murphy's law for you. You never end up having the camera on ya when you need it. And when you do...all the damned airplanes go into hiding.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to post this on Friday, but on my way to Santa Maria to get my car serviced I caught a Channel Islands ANG Herc shooting touch-n-goes at Vandenberg. Saw it way off in the distance just as I left my house, and the route to Santa Maria takes me right by Vandenberg's main entry control point, which it was overflying at a low altitude when I drove by. I knew it was Channel Islands because it was low enough to make out the green tailband.

A Cessna 172, or maybe it was an 182...it was at several thousand feet and in not perfect observation conditions.

Man, I miss living near a major airport! I do get to see the big heavies chug over on a regualr basis, but at 30,000 feet, there isn't much to look at.

Alvis 3.1

a couple of wookas heading into our local army camp did a rapid turnaround and flew off again

images are not great as i was 3-4 miles away on a 300mm lens

would have loved the same shots at 1-2 miles away to combine the isolation of the moors with the aircraft in it

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

Leaving the office after one of my routine check-ups with my general practicioner yesterday, I heard the distinctive sound of jet engines, opened up the sunroof on my car and glanced up, and over flies a C-17 leaving Vandenberg.

• 2 weeks later...

On Wednesday 10 Mar. (I think it was) had a C-17 buzz the house nice and low. Yesterday (Friday 12 Mar.) I heard a T-38 (sounded like a fast-mover, but not loud enough to be a Viper, Hornet, etc., so I guessed...then got confirmation by somebody who actually saw it), then caught a quick glimpse of the arse-end of a KC-135 turning into Vandenberg. More activity around here than normal lately :cheers: (not that I'm complaining :D)...

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Saw this on Friday - something you guys on the other side of the pond may not have seen before?

This is one of the RAF's newest aircraft, the Shadow R.1, pretty similar to your RC-12s (but much better looking! B) )

On approach to RAF Waddington.

Wadd8.jpg

Wadd9.jpg

And another Reconnaissance aircraft, the Sentinel R.1, from the same base.

Wadd6.jpg

Ben

Yesterday I saw a UH-60. Later I saw a B-52 fly over the airport here. Finally I saw a T-2 Buckeye fly in and land.

Aren't the T-2's retired or am I thinking of some other Navy trainer?

Joel

Well, just landed in Vegas a couple hours ago, and along with a ton of MD-88's (including the one I was on) and various 747's, 57's and 67's, I also caught a glimpse of 2 "Janet" 737's getting ready to take some folks...well..."somewhere"...

Saw one of THESE things flying around today...I'm assuming heading into the local airport. Had to do a double take when I first saw it. Also, I just arrived home and went out to take some clamps off my Trumpeter Tomcat and heard a very loud jet. Looked up and saw a tiny speck in the sky going south-to-north overhead (at cruising altitude, so it wasn't headed into Vandenberg). I couldn't get to my binoculars in time to ID it, but I'm assuming such a tiny little aircraft making so much damn noise would either be a Hornet, Eagle or maybe even a Raptor. It was too big to be a Viper, and way too loud to be a T-38...that much I know.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

The skies over MY skylight is like a noughts and crosses diagram...there are SO many BOEINGflying over that I can't keep up.

So far I have seen EMIRATES, the distinct yellow of dhl and many more.... :wierdo:

Nothing yet but in about 9 hours from now, my keester will be firmly placed in seat 19C of a Boeing 767-300, en route to meet my wife in London! Woo hoo! A week in London and then a week in France. There will be the obligatory trips to RAF Museum Cosford, Imperial War Museum in London, hopefully RAF Museum Hendon, a tour of Churchill's War Bunker Museum, Windsor Castle, Metropolitan Police HQ, the London Eye, the National Police Memorial, and others. There is a ceremony at the Canadian War Memorial in Green Park at 1100 hrs on Friday morning. I should be able to make that depending on how long it takes me to get through customs and get into London.

In France, there will be a few days in Paris and then trips to Arras, Beaumont-Hamel, Vimy, Ypres and the nightly Menin Gate ceremony, Nancy, Toul, Choloy Cemetery where my uncle Guy is buried and Grostenquin.

If I don't have fun, I have nobody to blame but myself.

'See' you all in two weeks or so. :cheers:

No photos but I saw many 737s, 747s, 767s, 777, A320s, a few A340s, an MD90 and a 727. Who knew, other than many of our UK friends here, that one of the final approaches to Heathrow flies directly over Windsor Castle?!

Very impressive, both the sights of the Castle and the many aircraft flying overhead.