Helmsman. have you and your wife, Elizabeth, considered joining http://500px.com. The photography there is outstanding. And your wife's and yours would fit in just great. Glad to see she's a nature photographer as well. I'm still "tooling" around with a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII...and saving up my bucks for a 600mm f/4 with 1.4x TC.

Love her burrowing owl shots. Those little guys are so damnned cute. Our population of burrowing owls up here in the Okanagan of British Columbia nearly was extirpated. It's only because of a concerted effort on the part of conservationists that we still have a small population of burrowing owls up here. I would love to photograph some burrowing owls, but frankly...I'd have to cavort with the Northern Pacific rattlesnakes in order to do it. Not relishing the thought of stepping wrong and getting envenomed. Would not be a pleasant experience.

Edited by The_Animal

The C-130 is from yesterday the others from today, sorry i post alot lol

IMG_1368_zpsabe15999.jpg

IMG_1372_zps84827376.jpg

Cougar helicopters S-92

IMG_1388_zps51227685.jpg

Top Aces were in town with 3 alpha jets, 2 of them were flying when i got there today, the blue guy landed then the brown/tan took off and landed

IMG_1395_zps72159e48.jpg

IMG_1405_zps49b807aa.jpg

And this Snowbird was parked next to the Canjet hanger then took off, noticed he didn't have a tail number....

IMG_1412_zpsccc4e269.jpg

IMG_1416_zps7bd4aeba.jpg

Well, it was actually friday. I was driving home, coming up to Long Beach Airport while on the 405 (Long Beach, Ca) and just in front of me, passing over the freeway on final, two F/A-18C's and then a few moments later, an F/A-18D. Always fun watching those guys overhead but it was a nice way to end the workweek with an impromptu little airshow.

Helmsman. have you and your wife, Elizabeth, considered joining http://500px.com. The photography there is outstanding. And your wife's and yours would fit in just great. Glad to see she's a nature photographer as well. I'm still "tooling" around with a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII...and saving up my bucks for a 600mm f/4 with 1.4x TC.

Love her burrowing owl shots. Those little guys are so damnned cute. Our population of burrowing owls up here in the Okanagan of British Columbia nearly was extirpated. It's only because of a concerted effort on the part of conservationists that we still have a small population of burrowing owls up here. I would love to photograph some burrowing owls, but frankly...I'd have to cavort with the Northern Pacific rattlesnakes in order to do it. Not relishing the thought of stepping wrong and getting envenomed. Would not be a pleasant experience.

She's already there for a while: http://500px.com/ElizabethE and I have my own site http://airshows.narod.ru and http://bars.strizhi.info with mostly old photos. But hope to add more soon :)

Well, I will make sure I follow her then. :D As you can see in my signature...my 500px account is a clickable link on my ARC sig.

Edit: Her nature photos are beautiful. Is that a AF-S 600mm f/4 that she has? :D I'm still saving up to get one. :D

Edited by The_Animal

Well, I will make sure I follow her then. :D As you can see in my signature...my 500px account is a clickable link on my ARC sig.

Edit: Her nature photos are beautiful. Is that a AF-S 600mm f/4 that she has? :D I'm still saving up to get one. :D

We use Canon so it's not the AF-S 600mm f/4 but Sigma 800mm f/5.6. It's about half price of that 600mm.

The Alphajets are use to simulate missles for the navy as well as bad guy jets as far as i know. went spotting again this morning with my daughter and got a few more snaps to show off.

IMG_1472_zpsbee09af4.jpg

IMG_1479_zpsc7b83fe6.jpg

IMG_1490_zps6d64c793.jpg

IMG_1509_zps249cafaf.jpg

IMG_1505_zpsb97e5068.jpg

IMG_1514_zpsa5e8cd68.jpg

IMG_1534_zpsfc6eacc0.jpg

Not today, but yesterday while I was at YVR. Boeing 747-467 B-HOY, Cathay Pacific Airways departing Runway 08R.

10-09-2012_YVR_CPA_B747-467_B-HOY_wm.jpg

10-09-2012_YVR_AC_B777-333ER_C-FIVM_wm.jpg

A perspective shot from Runway 08L.

Edited by The_Animal

Had a good day spotting today(warning lots of pics)......

IMG_1927_zps52941db5.jpg

IMG_1929_zpse2d4c01d.jpg

IMG_1930_zps5b9ebf28.jpg

this guy shot alot of approches checking the ILS

IMG_1932_zps1341f39b.jpg

IMG_1939_zps95517f9a.jpg

IMG_1957_zpsfa760198.jpg

IMG_1977_zpsd140c06e.jpg

was getting ready to leave when a familiar shape loomed in the distance.....

IMG_1981_zpsc8938c50.jpg

Unfortunately didn't have my camera with, but yesterday afternoon I saw a CH-149 going very low and slow. Got pretty loud, never seen one come up this close - would've made for a decent photo, fully side-on above the White Spot.

Anybody have any idea what they might've been doing out this way? For reference, this was in Vancouver yesterday (Oct 17) around 5:30-ish, I was on Marine Drive near the Ross St gurdwara.

Today on my way to the gym, I was driving along and saw this dude coming out of a store suddenly glance up at the sky. I figured that there had to be something there, so since I was at a traffic light I glanced up real quick, and sure enough, there goes a Viper inbound to Vandenberg. Then, I finish up at the gym and am walking outside, I hear "the sound of freedom" once again. Glance up, and there's another Viper (or the same one from earlier just doing touch-n-goes). What motiviation for the Viper GB :thumbsup:.

got buzzed by a column of Apaches head for Shelbyville Indiana a few minutes ago.

gary

The F-35 was out and about with the 16's yesterday here in Ft. Worth. It's so funny to see them along side each other. Today I was over in the Ridgmar area where I grew up along the south end of the rwy and saw three of them coming in for low level approach passes. They'd go gear up, and burn up some more tax dollars in a go around, but I don't care. It's worth the show. :)

Unfortunately didn't have my camera with, but yesterday afternoon I saw a CH-149 going very low and slow. Got pretty loud, never seen one come up this close - would've made for a decent photo, fully side-on above the White Spot.

Anybody have any idea what they might've been doing out this way? For reference, this was in Vancouver yesterday (Oct 17) around 5:30-ish, I was on Marine Drive near the Ross St gurdwara.

Not sure but around here they sometimes fly around Halifax harbour doing training with the coast guard and navy, could've been doing the same. saw one today myself but it was parked at the airport behind some bushes so i couldn't get a decent shot of her. Did catch this Sea-thing though but around here they're a dime a dozen

IMG_1931_zpsb4d375ca.jpg

Not sure but around here they sometimes fly around Halifax harbour doing training with the coast guard and navy, could've been doing the same. saw one today myself but it was parked at the airport behind some bushes so i couldn't get a decent shot of her. Did catch this Sea-thing though but around here they're a dime a dozen

Nice shot of the Sea King! Kinda envious of your location, around here, 99% of the time it's just airliners and civvie light planes and radio traffic helicopters we see...

They may've been doing something like that out of YVR, possibly, though we've got no Navy in Vancouver (apart from HMCS Discovery) and soon probably no CCG either... still, it was a fun spot.

I got to see many KC-135R's and a few C-17's. Also a local ANG F-16C (i think) departing. About six months ago or so I was fortunate enough to see a U-2 lumbering in. I cannot see the runway from where I was at so I do not know if it actually landed or just a fly-by.

Litvyak-besides the sea kings and odd american herc there isn't that much military in town, but we do get a more than most due to IMP aerospace getting alot of contract work for the CF, also a few years back they did work on Norway's fleet of P-3's. Today's hornet was kinda unique due to the closeness of Greenwood they'd normally go there. I personally would love to spot at YVR due to the 'heavies' that operate in and out of there. we get a daily 767 from AC and the odd 767 from Condor and 757 from Iceland air but they usually come in after dark, would love to catch some 747s or A340s etc....

Jester- I'd hardly consider myself an expert personally as far as photography goes anyway so post away with or without pics i just like to hear what folks saw. I saw a 787 at logan in august when i was on vacation but didn't get a shot of it because i was on the subway and didn't want to pull my camera out and put it together just to try and shoot from a moving train lol. was cool though, JAL i think. I'd love to go back and do some spotting there as I was just in town for a day and tried to cram it all in....didn't work though!

I've always felt lucky that I can spot at YVR anytime I want. especially since I have full access inside the fence.

although I am still waiting to get upclose and personal with the A380 and 787. hopefully one of the asian airlines will start flying them to YVR soon

Well I do remember years ago when you could just go up that access road to a gate in the fence, right near where the terminal for the little prop planes were (Air BC, Horizon Air, Canadian's commuter partners, those guys). One day, right next to the gate - which was open - was a Harlequin Air DC-10. I got my best photo of the day when I first pressed the shutter-button.

Now, I think the best spots I know at YVR are the big parking lot next to Templeton station, and then another parking lot at the east end of the buildings at Sea Island Centre, which puts you right at the end of the runway. Yeah, if you want Asian heavies YVR can be pretty awesome.

Would love to know a good spot on the southern side so I can get some shots of the 727 freighters...

I have a question for those who take photos of military aircraft (especially those taken in the U.S.), are your photos taken whilst you are on a Military Base? At Andrews AFB we are not allowed to take any photos towards the flight line whilst on the installation, apart from Open Days or during an air show. Just wondering if other locations have the same rules or are not as stringent. I have seen some awesome aircraft & some pretty stunning views, some I'd like to keep for my own personal use and not share, but sadly cannot capture.

Edit to add: I am also a contractor and not a Military employee so I am also curious if the rules are different if you are family of service personnel living on base or are in the Military.

Edited by Model-Junkie