Frame filling shot (600/4 handheld) of an Air Transat A330 turning on final over Green Timbers Lake heading for YVR. He probably thought I was pointing a bazooka at him. :woot.gif:/> I'll post it later. - POSTED.

06-16-2013_AT_C-GTSN_A330-243_filtered2_wm.jpg

I looked back at one of the 4 images that I snapped of the A330-243 and saw the co-pilot (although pixellated) looking at me. I wonder how much one can see of people on the ground from 5000 feet up. Any pilots want to answer that. If you're 20 miles out from the airport, about how high up are you and how much of the ground activity can you see from the ground. Can you discern what activities are going on from that high up?

Edited by The_Animal

Finally got out with some nice weather to boot!!!

This guy was hanging out at the Esso ramp but wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

IMG_8992-1_zpsae763a1a.jpg

Air Canada express CRJ's

IMG_8993-1_zps0b244228.jpg

IMG_8994-1_zps5b5d060e.jpg

IMG_9003-1_zpsb7a94988.jpg

IMG_9007-1_zps34d78add.jpg

Delta CRJ

IMG_9023-1_zps9c9ba51e.jpg

IMG_9025-1_zps839c4f73.jpg

EHS S-76

IMG_9039-1_zpsb8f93fcd.jpg

IMG_9040-1_zps27671765.jpg

IMG_9043-1_zps47735ac7.jpg

:D, Not sure if this fits here as it's not a man made aircraft. Yesterday I had a day off and so decided in the afternoon to take a train ride into Newcatle to visit Frontline Hobbies. I don't drive into town during the day because of parking difficulties and it's only 8 minutes in the train to the station nearest Frontline, then a 5 minute walk to the shop. As we passed the Sydney Junction my eye caught something flying ourside the train. When I got a better look it was a beautiful wedgetail eagle gliding in to a nest. I really was surprised as they aren't regular inhabitants so close to town. By the time I thought of using my smart phone to take a photo we had passed and the eagle was on the ground and fairly well camoflaged.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Well it wasvnot today but a couple of days back..

Saw everything from a Spitfire, to De Havilland Chipmunk, to Canadian Sabre to a Mosquito and many more...including a folding bicycle....

....where...at the COSFORD AIR MUSEUM. :banana::banana::nanner:

it was an impulsive thing to do on a day off.

No photos etc but had great fun... Talked to many old guys who had been in the war ..and saw JAMES MAY.... Sat next to him...His statue thingy... :taunt:

Lots of people sat with him and had their photos taken :thumbsup:

Edited by HOLMES

Dylan, I woulda thought the TRUMPTM would be flying in a B747-400. With the size of his ego, I woulda thought that the B757 would be a bit cramped. :woot.gif:/>

He had a B727 for a number of years, and moved up to the 757 two or three years ago. I saw on FlightAware that the plane was headed up that way. Nice catch. For all I tried to get the plane when I was in NY, I finally got decent shots of it down here in CLT, in the snow, back in January.

Time for a bump, went out last night to try my hand at some low light spotting, again the usual suspects with one tiny surprise visitor.

He didn't need much runway when landing and so this was the best shot I got as he taxied to the ramp

IMG_9129-1_zps05497c77.jpg

Then this fella show up

IMG_9149-1_zpsb93846f0.jpg

This was probably the best shot of the night I think...

IMG_9168-1_zps237aab6b.jpg

Tried to get that panning shot just right....not quite there yet.

IMG_9179-1_zpsde08370f.jpg

His counterpart coming in just after the other departed.

IMG_9196_zps90cf3c05.jpg

This one isn't half bad either

IMG_9225-1_zpsf31b4746.jpg

And that's all folks

IMG_9229-1_zpse4791603.jpg

Have a great day everybody!!!

Wasn't today but more like June 23rd. I went to Bagotville for the airshow. I saw ALF again and met Neo and EX_Birdgunner. There is a photo of this rogues gallery but it is on EX's camera and he's preoccupied right now.

The drive up to the Saguenay Region on Saturday was okay. LOTS of rain between Montreal and St. Ubalde but from then on to Bagotville it was quite nice. Drive time was 6.5 hrs with no traffic to speak of. After getting checked into the hotel, I met up with ALF and Neo. We then went for dinner where we met up with EX_Birdgunner and Russ, a friend of EX's but a non-ARC member. The drive home on Monday was fantastic with only a few sprinkles of rain about an hour outside the Saguenay. The rest of the drive was sunny and great roads and no traffic due to the Quebec holiday, St. Jean Baptiste Day.

The weather on Sunday for the airshow was fantastic, until the very end of the show. It started pouring rain as the Snowbirds were putting on their display. The newly opened Air Defense Museum has some great displays inside one of the refurbished chapels. The air park has a number of aircraft on display. These aircraft, with the exception of one of them, were at one time based or flew at Bagotville. Unfortunately, they remain outside and the ravages of time and weather have not been kind.

The 440 Sqn CF-100 with Albert the Alligator. The other side of the aircraft is marked as 432 Sqn. Interesting. No photo of that side though.

DSC_0003_zps6f1a62fc.jpg

What's that in the background you say? It's this! Donated by the Czech Air Force..a MiG-23 Flogger!

DSC_0013_zps718f8a72.jpg

I also managed to squeeze my can into the cockpit of a CF-18. Lots of leg room when the rudder pedals are fully forward. The seat is fairly comfortable. There is lots of shoulder room too. The only complaint would be the closeness of the control column to Mr. Johnson and The Twins. Having said that, if I was smaller in stature and a few pound lighter, it probably wouldn't have been much of an issue. Having ALF there to explain the cockpit set up, pre-flight inspection routine, weapons and external stores configuration, etc was amazing. Thanks ALF!

DSC_0008_zps4400100a.jpg

I only took a few shots of the air display as I've seen most of the aircraft that were flying do their routine before. The most amazing was the C-17. I've never seen an aircraft reverse under its own power. I was equally impressed watching this thing do a tight radius turn with probably close to 60 degrees of bank. WOW!

DSC_0025_zpsfa3a0432.jpg

DSC_0022_zps7e5c060d.jpg

Some of the static display:

RAF Hercules

DSC_0020_zpse9ae292a.jpg

RAF AWACS

DSC_0019_zps96618a63.jpg

RCAF C-130J Hercules

DSC_0032_zps233dd6f0.jpg

Decommissioned CF-18 - what are these tail markings?

DSC_0030_zps4b4f9a95.jpg

Finally, 425 Sqn's hangar

DSC_0033_zps67c33e38.jpg

It was a fun couple of days and I am indebted to ALF for his generousity in making my trip to, and stay in, the Saguenay Region so enjoyable.

Mike

that is a great series Mike.

I got to spend 2 days in Chilliwack where one of our planes is getting painted. I had to go out and balance the flight controls and put them back on.

everything but the door surrounds are done

DSC_5859-XL.jpg

DSC_5856-XL.jpg

my elevators and an aileron.

DSC_5863-XL.jpg

and the rudder and the other aileron. there were some cool planes all around, like the glasair

DSC_5862-XL.jpg

in the other bay is a North Cariboo 1900

DSC_5857-X2.jpg

What's that in the background you say? It's this! Donated by the Czech Air Force..a MiG-23 Flogger!

DSC_0013_zps718f8a72.jpg

OK...that friggin' does it. I'm going on a road-trip! ...to Bagotville!!!

I also managed to squeeze my can into the cockpit of a CF-18. Lots of leg room when the rudder pedals are fully forward. The seat is fairly comfortable. There is lots of shoulder room too. The only complaint would be the closeness of the control column to Mr. Johnson and The Twins. Having said that, if I was smaller in stature and a few pound lighter, it probably wouldn't have been much of an issue. Having ALF there to explain the cockpit set up, pre-flight inspection routine, weapons and external stores configuration, etc was amazing. Thanks ALF!

DSC_0008_zps4400100a.jpg

It was a fun couple of days and I am indebted to ALF for his generousity in making my trip to, and stay in, the Saguenay Region so enjoyable.

Mike

Lookin' good there, Mike. Never got the chance to sit in one...just for the heck of it; even when they were doing public "sit-in-the-CF-188 and get your picture taken..." at Abby during the 80s. Unfortunately, I didn't like standing around in the heat and there was too much around to see and do. Maybe I might stand in line for a change this year if they do have those. Might be fun for my kids and maybe even for my wife.

1064587_10151701925130295_2042477170_o.jpg

What else, combining my love for airplanes as well as feathered flying things... 3 Great Blue Herons sitting in the foreground while a B777 comes in final on 26R at YVR. :woot.gif: God, that 600mm compresses the focal point. How'd you like that. Mt. Baker looks like its in our backyard!!!

N-ikon D300s/600mm f/4 D IF-ED.

Edited by The_Animal

Sorry, yesterday, but here's Air North C-GANJ heading out on Runway 26R; after takeoff. This is what a Boeing 737-548 looks like in a viewfinder of a D300s/600mm f/4 II D IF-ED. God I ~bleeping~ LOVE this lens!!! This was shot from Iona Beach Regional Park.

06-30-2013_AN_C-GANJ_B737-548_filtered_wm.jpg

I think the first officer is looking at me...wondering "What the ~bleep~ is THAT???!!!" :woot.gif:

Now, I just have to hang out with the 600mm out by the landing area by 26R. I figure I'd probably scare the living bejeepers out of the pilot seeing that big lens pointed at them; not to mention having security all over me. Well...hell...it's just a camera lens. Maybe I'll be able to do some operational pilot portraits. :P

Edited by The_Animal

wow both of those planes are over a mile away and still sharp, I would be pretty happy as well.

btw the top one is an A330

great stuff

Thanks, Dylan... I couldn't get the reg # off the rear quarter of the aircraft; because I didn't have the "angle" on the A330. :D

Caught this beautiful Air Canada airliner coming in Runway 26R

07-03-2013_IncomingAC-unid_filtered2_wm.jpg

And damned near freaked out the poor Captain with the 600mm f/4

07-03-2013_IncomingAC-unid_inthecockpit_filtered_wm.jpg

...as well as making other airplane spotters out at the east end of Runway 26R at YVR today drip with envy. :whistle: I think security came out to talk with the airplane spotters at the end of the runway. :D Me...I was already over at Iona Beach Regional Park by then. Saw the security guy talkin' with the spotters out there as we went past along Templeton to go pick my wife up at the Richmond Library. ~smug~. :whistle:

The above shot was cropped in from this one: 1052858_10151708484045295_2069618503_o.jpg

Edited by The_Animal

Lookin' good there, Mike. Never got the chance to sit in one...just for the heck of it; even when they were doing public "sit-in-the-CF-188 and get your picture taken..." at Abby during the 80s. Unfortunately, I didn't like standing around in the heat and there was too much around to see and do. Maybe I might stand in line for a change this year if they do have those. Might be fun for my kids and maybe even for my wife.

Thanks Animal. The Hornet I'm planted in is the one on display in the air park. ALF and I were there to tour the museum when it opened at 0900 hrs. Lo and behold, as we were looking around, staff opened up the cockpit to allow folks to have a seat. I was the first one of the day to have the honour so there was no waiting around. If you have the opportunity to have a seat, do so. Although I was only in the seat for a couple of minutes, the sounds of screaming jet engines, grunting through high G turns, firing of AIM-9's and dropping bombs, were confined to my imagination.