Intruder/Prowler pics

• 1 month later...
OK, someone please tell me what this mod is on this A-6A photographed in 1973.

A-6A155688VA-17610-73.jpg

A-6A155688VA-17610-73-mod.jpg

Photographer Not Known

That is an A-6C. The belly pack is the TRIM (trails, roads interdiction multisensor) pod.

HTH!

Thats the A-6C with the TRIM (Not the same as the TRAM) pod containing a FLIR & LLTV for ops over the Ho Chi Min. About a dozen or so A models were modified.

Ves :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have photos of CVW-8 CAG bird 535, (yes CAG bird) from VA-36?

Bu Number was 155703. It had a red bird head on the tail. Only photos I have found are in this thread. "Heartless 536" back on page 2, and a gate guard on page 4 with a 500 modex.

Which if I am not wrong should have been a VA-35 aircraft.

This was back during the first desert storm on CVN-71.

I'm surprised no one has posted any photos of this KA-6D. From July 1991. Now there's a diorama for the hard core builders! Not me though!!

A6_Landing_LT_Gallagher_1.jpg

I suppose most of you have read the story but if not here's the link. Lot's of actual audio and video of the incident/landing.

http://www.gallagher.com/ejection_seat/index.htm

Mark

Something similar happened to an F-14D(VF-213?) The pilot landed back without the back seat and the canopy...

Does anyone have photos of CVW-8 CAG bird 535, (yes CAG bird) from VA-36?

Bu Number was 155703. It had a red bird head on the tail. Only photos I have found are in this thread. "Heartless 536" back on page 2, and a gate guard on page 4 with a 500 modex.

Which if I am not wrong should have been a VA-35 aircraft.

This was back during the first desert storm on CVN-71.

:thumbsup::tumble: Got another A-6 sheet thingy first though...

-brian

Something similar happened to an F-14D(VF-213?) The pilot landed back without the back seat and the canopy...

Different circumstances. The Black Lion Tomcat had a blackshoe captain in the back who, apparently, had not paid attention to his seat brief. Upon experiencing negative G, he freaked out a bit and reached for the first thing he thought would help him pull himself back into his seat.

Different circumstances. The Black Lion Tomcat had a blackshoe captain in the back who, apparently, had not paid attention to his seat brief. Upon experiencing negative G, he freaked out a bit and reached for the first thing he thought would help him pull himself back into his seat.

Jeez the Navy has those too!!!....Give'em Gee Whiz ride and their heads in the sky long before engine start. It's yeah, yeah, yeah I got it!!.....ask'em a question 5 min later about anything from the brief and they can't answer it. You just hope nothing goes wrong, apparently in that case...it did......it went very wrong!!!. Did they make him pay for the seat?!?!..... :) :rolleyes:. I can remember an AF capt. (Lt. to swabs) who had to assist in emesis clean up; upon return to Terra Firma :lol: .

Edited by Angels49
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

USMC Prowler Units about to get a bit larger.

Subject: [NAMAR] EA-6B Changes

HAVELOCK, N.C. - A Marine Corps air station in eastern North Carolina is

getting more electronic warfare jets and more than 100 new personnel.

The Sun Journal of New Bern reported that Marine Corps Air Station

Cherry Point will handle training duties for EA-6B Prowler crews. It

also will be the home base for most of the Prowlers in the Corps. The

Marines are getting the Prowlers from the Navy, which is moving to a

newer model.

Cherry Point spokeswoman Maj. Aisha M. Bakkar said Monday four Prowler

squadrons are now at the base with five radar-jamming jets each. The

number of Prowlers at Cherry Point will increase to 27 by 2013 including

a training squadron.

Prowlers are assigned to accompany fighters and bombers and to jam enemy

signals.

• 2 months later...

What is it about Intruders/Prowlers..that make them so endearing is it the airframe or the job they do in the Intruders case...did.

Hadn't realized 137 went backwards to 89A.

Hey Karl....Welcome back....err....kinda, sorta, maybe.......you haven't posted in quite a while; well at least that I've seen....good to see ya back in the groove

What is it about Intruders/Prowlers..that make them so endearing is it the airframe or the job they do in the Intruders case...did.

Hey Karl....Welcome back....err....kinda, sorta, maybe.......you haven't posted in quite a while; well at least that I've seen....good to see ya back in the groove

Got back Friday afternoon/evening :wub: