Intruder/Prowler pics

The weapon shown is a Mk.56 Aerial Mine. It has weighs about 2000lb's and can be laid by either A-6's, B-52's, S-3's, P-3s. It is designed as an ASW mine, it has multiple triggers to include magnetic, hydrophonic, and pressure.

A Mk.60 CAPTOR looks like this with out the parachute.

mk60.jpg

Edited by A6BSTARM
The weapon shown is a Mk.56 Aerial Mine. It has weighs about 2000lb's and can be laid by either A-6's, B-52's, S-3's, P-3s. It is designed as an ASW mine, it has multiple triggers to include magnetic, hydrophonic, and pressure.

Hmm...with enough refs, scratchbuilding that seems like a definite possibility. And it would be an attention-getting piece of ordinance at a model contest. There's reference to it on one the weapons illustrations over in the F/A-18 thread.

Edited by Fishwelding

This Prowler showed up at Republic Airport, Long Island tonight. She's in town so some of the local Grumman workers can get an up close look at one of their products. Was supposed to be a flight of two, but one broke enroute.

BuNo 163887 CVW-9 / VAQ-138 CAG aircraft

208903897-L.jpg

208904355-L.jpg

208904513-L.jpg

208904702-L.jpg

208904946-L.jpg

Moose135,

Love the VAQ-138 pics, those guys live next door to us. I enjoy walking by their hanger every day and seeing that jet, it's definitely one of the more attractive Prowlers I have seen. (I do love NJ 550, "Shake N Bake" is a great looking jet [it's the VAQ-129 CAG Bird].

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Edit : I did some serious reorganizing to my Photo-bucket account. It was just a mish-mosh of pics that I had no sub-folders for. Anyway, I reposted some of the pics, & added the link for the rest of the 56 pics I took.

Ish

Edited by Ishthe47guy
Wow Eddie!! Man those are SWEET!!! Thanks for sharing them!!

I do have one question though.....what in the world are these hangin'? I've never seen'em before.

Thanks again for sharing Eddie....Take care!

Full Afterburner.....

Scot M.

That is a MK-56 2000lb moored mine, we dropped a few of them along with VA-115 as practice mines. Back in the mid-late 90's they were only used for practice mines... any warshot rounds were the QUICKSTRIKE series.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/mk56.htm

Cheers

Atis

• 3 weeks later...

New & slightly improved posting.

02_leftnose1SIG.jpg

29_righttailSIG.jpg

05_leftintakeSIG.jpg

26_lowertailSIG.jpg

Follow the link to the rest of the pics, plenty of which are the detailed walkaround style pictures. Be sure to click on the "Full Size" icon.

VMAQ-1 photos

I don't know what it is about the Prowler & Intruder from a modeling standpoint that makes me want to build so many, other than both of them build into pretty impressive models when finished (in 1/48th, I mean). Can't forget to add they both are from the New York area, like me.

Chris Ish

• 2 months later...
How long has this wild scheme been around?

163404.jpg

163404-.jpg

163404--.jpg

That's actually pretty wicked - aside from the flames on the intake warnings. Not that they're bad per se, they just don't seem to fit. But the black around the canopy and the red-to-black thing they've got going on on the modex, buno and "Navy" - that's pretty slick. :cheers:

Hey Karl, kinda random, but how often (if ever) did you guys park the birds with the wings folded when you were on DET to BAF? Just for maintenance?

Our det to Bagram was shortlived, as we were embarked in ENTERPRISE at the time. We just so happened to be the closest Prowlers in the area, and with Iraq relatively quiet at the time we were undertasked and therefore available when the Afghan mission arose, and we were there till a concrete squadron could get spun up and take over.

As such, we weren't there long enough to need any sort of maintenance that necessitated folding the wings. I honestly don't remember if we even needed to pull them into any shelters to get them worked on - if so, that might have required folding.

We didn't bring all four planes, so ramp space wasn't a problem, though it's possible they might have been folded while taxiing for clearance (which has been known to happen both at Fallon at Whidbey). Again, I honestly don't remember.

But as far as being out on the ramp, in the normal parking spots, with wings folded? No, not during 137's det.

Our det to Bagram was shortlived, as we were embarked in ENTERPRISE at the time. We just so happened to be the closest Prowlers in the area, and with Iraq relatively quiet at the time we were undertasked and therefore available when the Afghan mission arose, and we were there till a concrete squadron could get spun up and take over.

As such, we weren't there long enough to need any sort of maintenance that necessitated folding the wings. I honestly don't remember if we even needed to pull them into any shelters to get them worked on - if so, that might have required folding.

We didn't bring all four planes, so ramp space wasn't a problem, though it's possible they might have been folded while taxiing for clearance (which has been known to happen both at Fallon at Whidbey). Again, I honestly don't remember.

But as far as being out on the ramp, in the normal parking spots, with wings folded? No, not during 137's det.

Cool, that's what I figured. I never saw 142 do it, not even when they brought the airframes into the maintenance clamshell. The hardstands had plenty of room, too.

Karl, is that scheme on 163407 a new one or one I have just not gotten around to shooting until now?

I've not seen it before, but I'm not exactly at the heart of Prowler land right now. Last I saw 132 was summer of 2005... so, "new" to me, but take that for what it's worth.