Intruder/Prowler pics

I was in a Prowler that got sent to check out an Iranian Helix (or Hormone, can't remember which).

I seem to recall hearing about a VAQ-136 Prowler that had the interesting fortune of being the first thing off the flight deck when an Su-27 paid the Kitty Hawk a visit...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the terrible pictures- I took it at dawn on the TR in July 2005 and the light level sucked. It is VAQ-141's 502 with "Frankenprowler" on the nose... Anyone have the scoop on this? I was told through the grapevine that it was a splice-job of two or three different airframes that had Class A or B mishaps and Prowlers being national assets and all they made a good one. (kinda like my lawn mower collection)

Anyway, I never got around to asking anyone at the time and now it is gone. Just thought I'd ask...

100_0314.jpg

100_0316.jpg

100_0315.jpg

Apologies for the terrible pictures- I took it at dawn on the TR in July 2005 and the light level sucked. It is VAQ-141's 502 with "Frankenprowler" on the nose... Anyone have the scoop on this? I was told through the grapevine that it was a splice-job of two or three different airframes that had Class A or B mishaps and Prowlers being national assets and all they made a good one. (kinda like my lawn mower collection)

That's the long and short of it. Apparently it was, um, "interesting" to troubleshoot. But on the upside, it was apparently the "straightest" jet in the fleet.

So says my boss, who was MO at 141 for a while.

I found a few Prowler pics, I have some Intruder pics... somewhere. These are from a while ago, still painted gray over white. Don M.

Prowler3.jpg

Prowler4.jpg

So much for my opinion that some people over-do their panel lines!

Nice pics!

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Some daylight shots of the Prowler at FRG:

209233190-L.jpg

209234128-L.jpg

First of all, awesome shots moose! Does anyone know why the spoilers are up? Would that be some sort of control surfaces check or do they use them to help out with braking while taxiing? I'm pretty sure the F-15 guys use their speedbrake for that reason.

The flaperon popup system is designed to help kill lift/slow the jet on landing (it's "armed" via a switch in the cockpit, because we want a way to disable it for ops at the boat).

The way it works is, if the switch is armed, weight is on wheels, throttles are idle, and the control stick within 1" of center, they pop up to 51 degrees (if I remember NATOPS right).

There is a check done while taxiing where you chop the left to idle, see if they pop, chop the right to idle, see if they pop, then chop both and see if they pop (there's enough momentum, and residual thrust at idle, that all this chopping doesn't really affect the taxiing). But keeping in mind the above conditions, even when you're not deliberately checking them they can still pop up, say if you're at idle to slow down for a turn on the taxiway or something.