Here's my entry, Eduard's 1/48 scale X-1 profipak kit. Of course it'll have to be done as the Glamorous Glennis.

Starting off with the cockpit, which has darn near (~35) as many parts as the rest of the kit (~39). I used Testors Olive Green instead of 34094 so the cockpit would appear a bit brighter. Peeking out from behind the rear bulkhead you can see one of the 15 Copper BB's epoxied there for ballast, hope it's enough.

th_CRW_0364.jpg.jpg

Not sure of the white color on that equipment box, I only have a B&W image of that area so it could be yellow or blue for all I know, it's very light in the pic, so white looks good to me. I still have hope of finding a good reference for the color of the headrest, too. The oxygen hose was missing from the left side cockpit piece so I'll have to fab up a new one somehow. I used a piece of a paper napkin to make the canvas "pad" bolted to the seat and will do the same for the matching cover over the recess in front of the seat. Also used a piece of stretched sprue for the bar supporting the shoulder harness. The inst. panel needs some help, somehow, looks too plain, even after a light drybrushing. Maybe do the bezels in a darker black?

Anyway, off we go. More news as events warrant :(

:pray:

Mark:

Nice start! Does the Eduard Profipack kit come with any goodies for the cockpit? After seeing your build and Colin's in this GB, I went looking for my copy of the Eduard X-1, but all I could come up with on an initial pass throught my kit stash was the standard Eduard kit. I do have the Profipack version, but it is buried somewhere in storage!

Mike

Here's my entry, Eduard's 1/48 scale X-1 profipak kit. Of course it'll have to be done as the Glamorous Glennis.

Starting off with the cockpit, which has darn near (~35) as many parts as the rest of the kit (~39). I used Testors Olive Green instead of 34094 so the cockpit would appear a bit brighter. Peeking out from behind the rear bulkhead you can see one of the 15 Copper BB's epoxied there for ballast, hope it's enough.

th_CRW_0364.jpg.jpg

Not sure of the white color on that equipment box, I only have a B&W image of that area so it could be yellow or blue for all I know, it's very light in the pic, so white looks good to me. I still have hope of finding a good reference for the color of the headrest, too. The oxygen hose was missing from the left side cockpit piece so I'll have to fab up a new one somehow. I used a piece of a paper napkin to make the canvas "pad" bolted to the seat and will do the same for the matching cover over the recess in front of the seat. Also used a piece of stretched sprue for the bar supporting the shoulder harness. The inst. panel needs some help, somehow, looks too plain, even after a light drybrushing. Maybe do the bezels in a darker black?

Anyway, off we go. More news as events warrant :)

:P

Thanks , Mike. Yah, hold out for the profipak box, esspecially if you want to leave the entry hatch opened.. It has a bunch of resin and PE for the cockpit, from the instrument panels down to the emblem on the yoke.

Fuse halves went together fairly easily, even without locating pins. Won't need putty, maybe a little Mr Surfacer. I did have a bit of trouble installing the instrument panel (goes in from the top, after fuse assy.); I think I got the cockpit in a little twisted so things are not lining up quite square. Hopefully the bent panel will straighten out without too much fuss.

th_CRW_0376.jpg.jpg

:P

Edited by mkimages
  • 2 weeks later...

Slowly progressing, she's starting to look like an airplane now with wings and stabs. They went on with no hassle at all and lined up perfectly. The canopy is just set in place in this pic. It looks like it may be a bit "squashed" or "flattened" as the lower corners pop out a little. I might have to heat and bend it back to shape.

th_CRW_0392.JPG.jpg

:coolio:

• 3 months later...

Yikes, I kinda let this thread get a bit stale, didn't I? :banana: Well, I have been working on the build since October. I had a bit of a setback as I was carying it down the stairs to the paint shop to apply a white undercoat. It slid off of the box it was on and hit the stairs. Luckily it only popped off the canopy, entry hatch, and pitot tube with the pitot being the only part grabbed by the carpet monster. So anyway, i made a thread asking about solutions to the lost pitot and settled on hypodermic tubing. It was as simple as going to the pharmacist at Walgreen's and asking for needles. I picked up syringes with 21 & 25 gauge needles (about $.40 apiece) and they just happened to fit perfectly together. So I trimmed them to size and epoxied the 21G into the fuselage, then applied Milliput around it to form the tip of the fuselage. Looks good so far.

2005526648096490292_rs.jpg

The nice thing is that I didn't need to cut the tubing cleanly. I simply cut away the plastic syringe adapter (shown in the pic on the 25G needle) and the end of the tubing is perfect. the other end slides in the larger tube so it could be cut with wire-cutters, which collapses the tube.

Once I get the Milliput sanded to shape, i'll be back to where I was, ready to shoot white to undercoat the PollyS reefer orange. Until then…

:blink: