G'day people,

I have begun work on my second submission. The subject of this build will be the Airfix 1/72 Lynx Mk.8. At this stage, I am planning on finishing it as a Royal Navy machine, possibly with some sort of weapons loadout, which is yet to be determined. I plan on using the Airwaves PE set as well.

I have made a start by re-scribing the raised fuselage panel lines. The option to fold the tail/main rotors is tempting me at this stage. I will need to add several 'bumps' to the fuselage. I have marked the positions on the fuselage (shown as the hatched areas) with a felt tip pen. There are two lumps above the engine exhausts, and one above the rear tail rotor gearbox housing on the right side.

fusprep.jpg

footwindow.jpg

filling.jpg

I have added the Airwaves PE to the main console and instrument panel. I built up the CRT's with plastic card. I have also folded up the overhead console and added the pilot/co-pilot seat legs at this stage. I still need to make the avionics rack that lives behind the main console.

cockpitrt.jpg

cockpitlt.jpg

details.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Pappy,

This is looking real good so far, especially as the old Airfix kit ain't the greatest. Your Humphrey was exceptional so I'm guessing this will be the same.

By the way the pictures in your Humphrey thread aren't showing up any more all I get is small red crosses. Is this something to do with the site or is it my computer???

All the Best,

Bob :yahoo:

Glad to see another of your entries!

I have the same Airfix kit, so I will look your progress very close.

About Lynx 1/72 kits... knowing the poor mold of Revell/Matchbox one, I always wonder how Fujimi kit quality is compared with the Airfix release. Do you have any clue?

Hope to see your Humphrey soon in completed entries thread.

Cya!

Glad to see another of your entries!

I have the same Airfix kit, so I will look your progress very close.

About Lynx 1/72 kits... knowing the poor mold of Revell/Matchbox one, I always wonder how Fujimi kit quality is compared with the Airfix release. Do you have any clue?

Hope to see your Humphrey soon in completed entries thread.

Cya!

G'day Pibe,

I have heard of the Fujimi kit but sadly, I have never seen it. I would like to build it myself. i like your Harrier progress, the wok on the seat is nice

Pappy,

This is looking real good so far, especially as the old Airfix kit ain't the greatest. Your Humphrey was exceptional so I'm guessing this will be the same.

By the way the pictures in your Humphrey thread aren't showing up any more all I get is small red crosses. Is this something to do with the site or is it my computer???

All the Best,

Bob :whistle:

Thanks Bob,

I am not getting the pics either. I am not sure why. Unfortunately, I am not very good with computers. I pasted in pics from photobucket, there may be some sort of 'time out' clause perhaps? Maybe one of the more computer literate readers could shed some light,

Pappy

• 2 weeks later...

G'day people,

I have made some progress on the Lynx interior.

I have added all the Aiwaves PE

to the seats. They look too nice to paint.

belts.jpg

I have also added the inertia reels and what I think is a seat belt release cable to the seat backs. One of the seats also

a fire extinguisher fitted. I made these bits using plastic rod, copper wire and lead foil.

seatsback.jpg

The seat fronts had new padding made using plastic sheet.

seatsfront.jpg

I also added some additional strapping bits to the inflatable cabin seat (The "bouncy castle") using lead foil.

bouncycastle.jpg

Prior to painting

cabin roof and cockpit/floor section, I applied a piece of heavy aluminium foil to the rear bulkhead and cabin roof. The foil was obtained from the inside of a Milo tin, and was embossed witha diamond pattern to represent the padding material fitted to the cabin.

overhead.jpg

overheadpainted.jpg

panelright.jpg

I still need to make a collective lever, as Airfix does not provide one, as well as replace the overscale tail rotor pedals

cheers,

Pappy

panelleft.jpg

G'day Andrew,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I agree with you about an injected Lynx. I have looked at the Belcher Bits Lynx kits, but the cost is pretty steep. The kits look well detailed, but being limited run resin, preparation and fit will need great care. Definately not for beginners,

How is the Seahawk coming along?

cheers,

Pappy

G'day Andrew,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I agree with you about an injected Lynx. I have looked at the Belcher Bits Lynx kits, but the cost is pretty steep. The kits look well detailed, but being limited run resin, preparation and fit will need great care. Definately not for beginners,

How is the Seahawk coming along?

cheers,

Pappy

Yeah the Belcher Bits Lynx looks nice but too pricey and too hard when there's so much else to work on.

Seahawk is getting some decals right now. I'm pretty happy with it so far. More pics some time soon.

Hooroo

Andrew P :coolio:

G'day people,

A little more progress today. I have finished painting the interior. The missing tail rotor pedals were added as well as making new cyclics to replace the mis-shapen and over scale Airfix items. I also added a small orange pack to the rear of the pilot's seat.

front.jpg

lookfront.jpg

lookback.jpg

left.jpg

There is a large avionics box that sits on the PE frame just behind the centre console. I couldn't find any good pictures and the Aires instructions only provide a very crude shape. I just built a generic shape using some scrap plastic. I'm not totally happy with it as I like to build from photo's and drawings but I will live with it

I also added the last of the PE levers to the overhead console. I noticed that when dry fitting the cabin ceiling, the fuselage halves would not meet. I ended up sanding the front corners back, as well as beveling the edges. The fuselages now met. Whilst dry fitting the overhead cockpit section, the overhead console interferes with the cabin ceiling. I ended up filing a notch about 0.5mm into the front so that the overhead console would not foul.

ohed.jpg

ohedother.jpg

ohedclose.jpg

I noticed that the engine cowl sides have some holes that Airfix have overlooked. There is one large one each side and a smaller inspection window forward of the right opening as well. I drilled a hole for the larger openings in each side, and thinned these down with a grinding tip from the inside.

fuzprep.jpg

Well, the fuselage halves are just about ready to close up,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

I am looking for a 1/72 "disco ball" IR jammer from an AH-764 Apache kit. I was hoping someone might have one that they could spare?

In the meantime progress continues.

The fuselage joints are nearly done. The nose join requires some putty to match the two disparate contours.

nosejon.jpg

frontfuz.jpg

fuzputtyright.jpg

The belly join was relatively easy to do.

bellyjoin.jpg

I noticed the wheel sponsons were not correctly shaped. They are too wide at the back. I re-shaped them to better resemble my reference pictures.

stubsbefore.jpg

I also began work on detailing the tail rotor unit. I removed the molded mesh areas (these will be replaced using brass screen later) and added the 'bump' that lives on top of the tail rotor housing.

taillow.jpg

tailfront.jpg

My references showed that it lives at about a 45 degree angle between the tail rotor horizontal stab and the top of the tail unit. My dry fit showed that it didn't fit very well, so I used a file to hollow out the underside. The part now had a much better fit. A swipe of Mr Surfacer 500 and the part was faired in nicely!

tailtop.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Pappy, this really is a very, very nice build! Love the work you've done sofar and I'm saving it all as reference for my own build.

A few tips you might or might not want to incorporate:

The "eyebrow" windows in the kit are sort of trapezoidal shaped in the kit - the inner line along the fairing should be straight towards the back of the chopper (hope I'm making sense here! If not, I can always find you a link with pictures that shows it)

Also, the fairing itself should extend a bit more towards the nose.

There's also a few rails on the top fuselage that the front part of the doghouse can be slid forward over. Not having the kit directly in hand, I don't think Airfix represented them but they sure are an easy add-on should you choose to make them :woot.gif: Last but not least, something funky is going on with the exhaust area - I have no idea what exactly but either the fairing over them has a weird shape or the pipes are simply too long.

Like I said, just thought you might be interested - I'm sure you will make one heck of a model with or without these mods.

Best regards,

Maarten

G'day Maarten,

Thanks for the kind words. I hadn't noticed the issue with the 'eyebrow' windows until you pointed it out. I think it is too late fro me to correct this without major reconstruction, but thanks for pointing the problem out.

I will be adding the strakes forward of the doghouse though. I have also made some holes in the sides of the doghouse, two in the right and one in the left. I think these are some sort of inspection ports from what I can determine. There is also an inlet located centrally in the front of the doghouse which was missing. I cut a slot for this as well.

I noticed that the kit exhausts stuck out too far as well. I cut off about 2mm from the rear of each exhaust, so that they just sit proud of their openings,

cheers,

Pappy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again Pappy,

Could I bother you with a quick question? I'm finally getting to the sponsons, and you mentioned you reshaped those items at the back. If you don't mind my asking, what exactly did you mean by that? Did you just thin down the trailing edge to more closely confirm to the part that connects it to the fuselage, or were there shape changes needed in plan view, so to speak?

Many thanks for your reply, best regards,

Maarten