Ok, well after heading home to Burlington for the thanksgiving weekend, I've made it back to Sault Ste. Marie with the model and model supplies so I'm all pumped to get going.

I also dug up some sweet shots :rofl: I took at the Red Deer airshow in 2003 when I was at CFB Penhold for cadet camp. That was a great weekend, I got to meet Brass and the Snowbirds and even though we were supposed to be in class during the show, the instructor had enough good sense to see that all of our 14 year old attention spans were directed out the window, so we were allowed to go outside and watch.

See if you can spot the hornet!

Inverted whisper pass:

inverted.jpg

Photo pass (I remember I was real happy with this one):

Photopass.jpg

And the card I got signed by Brass earlier that day:

card.jpg

I started this model a few years ago, late 2004 if I remember right, and my modelling skill has improved quite a bit since then (if I do say so myself) so I've got a bit of cleaning up to do :rofl: on seams and a bit of detail painting before I can really get started. I've got the camera up here too so as soon as the batteries charge up I'll have some shots to post.

Trev

Edited by trevortex88

Ok, well the batteries finally charged up so now I can show you what I'm dealing with here. Like I said, I started this over 3 years ago so I've got quite a bit of fixing up to do. The right wing is going to be in the folded position because when "Brass" would taxi in, he folded up the right wing as a salute to the crowd and I thought that was pretty cool. I wish I could do it with the speedbrake up but it's already glued down so I'll have to live with that. I had 1 mlg leg done and the other one is about halfway, so I decided to paint the gear. It was my first time with a rattlecan and I guess I didn't mask properly because there's overspray all over the model, the ejection seat and a bit of the cockpit. I think that was one of the reasons I put it back in the box in the first place. So without further ado... here's some shots.

Here's mini-Brass. I'm going to add some detail to his flight suit and helmet still and get the Oxygen hose on there.

065.jpg

Bottom side: White everywhere!

066.jpg

Top side, seems to be missing a chunk of the inside of the burner can

068.jpg

White everywhere :thumbsup:

069.jpg

Brass in his seat and more white

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

Now time to get to work... I'm going to do some converting tonight, taking off lumps and bumps and maybe a bit on the other gear leg.

Trev

Ah Penhold....so many memories. I didn't know you were there in 2003 Trevor! Anyways....good start to the model!

Yeah I was there for ITLC, one of the best summers of my life to that point (glider and power kinda trump it!) but it sure beat the heck outta Trenton, that's for sure.

I don't have much progress to report on but I took a few pics today anyways. I've finished the other MLG leg and got it on there along with a strut I'd neglected to put on the other one so they're done. I also threw on the centerline pylon for the luggage pod, which was removed for the shows but the pylon stayed on.

001.jpg

007.jpg

I also took off some lumps and bumps that shouldnt have been there on the forward fuselage as well as the tails.

008.jpg

Next to go on will be the intakes and leading edge extensions so it should start to finally look like a hornet.

Hope everyone's enjoying it so far and if anyone has any suggestions or advice, I'm listening.

Trev

Ok, well I got the intakes and leading edge extensions on this weekend. The intakes took a ton of putty and sanding so I've got some rescribing to do. I'm still not 100% sure if I'm happy with the shape so I might operate again. The LEXs have some gaps that will need to be filled but that can wait for tomorrow...

Some pictures:

001-1.jpg

003.jpg

I've got a dilemma too: configuration. I'm not sure how I want to display it. The right wing will be folded up and the left wing will be straight for sure, so it's an after-demo pose. I'm just not sure if I want it taxiing in (Leading and trailing edge flaps retracted) or parked (leading and trailing edge flaps extended and the ladder down) Anyone have any suggestions?

Trev

I got a package today! The decals have arrived. They look really nice, I wish I was building 1/48th. Next step is scaling them up to 32nd scale. Does anyone know how to or where to find a how-to for this? I'm not actually making decals, just scaling them up to make masks. I think I know how I'm going to make the masks, it's just the scaling up part that's stumping me.

Thanks in advance,

Trev

Edited by trevortex88

I say do it "taxiing" instead of "parked" -- taxiing the power is still on, so the flaps stay up, but parked they'd droop. Only, I think if he went and parked it (shut it down) then he'd have folded the other wing up as well </wild guess>

So, either both wings folded, flaps dropped, or 1 wing folded, flaps up. I like 1 folded, flaps up, personally!

Edited by Mark M.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the taxiing pose. I think that was my plan in the first place. I think it was on the airshows.org board that someone said that when one wing (as opposed to both) on the F-18 is folded up, it has to be hand-cranked back down, which was a PITA for the ground crew. So I think it would stay stuck up like that until it was shut down and the show was over. Those forums are closed down now though so my thread there from a few years back was lost.

Trev

I used my printer-scanner to just photocopy the decal sheets and enlarge them to 150%, but when I used the tails for a reference, they looked pretty small compared to them. Do I have the wrong scale or are the Academy measurements a bit off or what?

001-2.jpg

Well here's a comparison on 48th scale:

image003.jpg

It does look like something is off. Do you have a 48th scale kit in your posession? Can you measure those fins, measure the 32nd fins, and based on the 2 dimensions you should get the % to blow up the decals.

48 / N = %, where N = the actual scale of the 32nd scale fin.

48 / 32 = 1.5, so that should have worked, but if the size is off on the kit, you need the new # in there.

On second thought, try sliding the fin down a bit more. The decal doesn't have the white stripe on it. Going by the finished product, the white stripe goes on top of the black background (on the fin decal), so slide the fin down until the black covers the entirety of the first ECM antenna on the tail, that might just about give you the fit you need (maybe)

I checked out the white stripes that run down the LEX and they fit flawlessly, so I guess the tail decals were just made with a bit of overlap to them. I'm not too worried about that though, because I won't be using the tail decals as a guide for the masking anyways.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry guys, not much to report yet on this one. I've been really busy with school and stuff so progress will be even slower than I thought before. I'm hoping to have this done sometime before I graduate college, which will be in 2010 (hopefully!). I'll post some progress pictures when I get the chance for sure though!

Trev

And finally, here's what I've been babbling about and trying to explain...

I'm pretty sure these are the only 2 pictures in existance of this. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, I'd love some more references!

2003-740.jpg

20032439.jpg

Thanks to Bill at Aerophoto International for these shots.

• 1 month later...

I knew this one wouldn't get done, but I had no idea how little time I'd actually have. I'm going to keep plugging along on this, like I said, with a deadline of 2010ish. If a moderator would be so kind as to move this thread to the in-progress forum I'll keep updating on this one. If not, I can just start another one when I actually have something to show.

Trev

• 4 months later...

Looks good and fix ups will be easy.

In your quest for photos of the 2003 TMOARC 410 Hornet, I found a couple of more photos on www.airliners.net and www.jetphotos.net

On either site, search the name Kirk Webber and you'll get a few photos of 188720, different from the ones you have linked here. Kirk's photo of the Hornet with the full moon in the background is my desktop background. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the most beautiful aviation photos I've ever seen.

Kirk used to have a website, www.stratosphereaviation.com but it doesn't seem to be in existence any more. It's too bad. He had a whole boatload of photos of 188720 in there. Jetphotos.net has a function that allows you to contact the photographer. Give that a shot. Maybe Kirk will doyou the honour of providing photos for research purposes.

Good luck with the build and your quest for resource photos.

Mike