Differences in Blue Angels' F/A-18s?

Guest Mel Sharkskin

Guest Mel Sharkskin

It's taken me almost 20 years to get around to this project, but now that I'm finally starting it, I need some help. I am modeling Blue Angels No. 7. BuNo 161355. I chose the subject because I was given a ride in it, and I want to commemorate that wonderful 1.3 hrs.

My questions are many, so I'll boil it down. First, what external differences, other than the paint and the gun fairing, would be on this aircraft to differentiate it from a line a/c? I've read that the primary differences are unseen, such as in the software, which I've been told is tweeked for aerobatic flying.

But more importantly, I need to know what differences there are between the F/A-18B and the D model. Here's why: When I set out to finally do this, I was naive. I didn't know that Hasegawa (I figured that would be the best kit to work from) 1/48 B model Hornets were rare as hen's teeth, and those that were on evilBay were just outrageously bid up. Finally, a friend located me a "B" in the form of one of Hasegawa's "Special Issue" kits. This one is in the livery of Pax River, and upon opening it, lo and behold but it was the off-the-shelf Hasegawa F/A-18D, right down to the instruction sheet. There were metal gear and a few of those ridiculously hard PE parts, and a separate little bag with the Pax River markings, stencils and a decal map, B-model vertical stabs, and that was it.

I have a Black Box cockpit for the B, and all the Eduard frets, so that part's covered. However, I'm wondering how many modifcations, and which ones, I will have to make to get a reasonable Blue Angels No. 7 from Sept. 1988. The 1987 season CAM decals work for this build. But I still don't have references that give me differences between the B and D. Can anyone out there help me? For example, is all that grill work on the D model going to be the same as that on an early-block F/A-18B, as the subject of the model is? (For the record, it still flies to this day with NASA, and I think it is a Block 5 or 10 a/c.)

Thanks for your indulgence, and of course any guidance would be appreciated.

TOM

It's taken me almost 20 years to get around to this project, but now that I'm finally starting it, I need some help. I am modeling Blue Angels No. 7. BuNo 161355. I chose the subject because I was given a ride in it, and I want to commemorate that wonderful 1.3 hrs.

My questions are many, so I'll boil it down. First, what external differences, other than the paint and the gun fairing, would be on this aircraft to differentiate it from a line a/c? I've read that the primary differences are unseen, such as in the software, which I've been told is tweeked for aerobatic flying.

But more importantly, I need to know what differences there are between the F/A-18B and the D model. Here's why: When I set out to finally do this, I was naive. I didn't know that Hasegawa (I figured that would be the best kit to work from) 1/48 B model Hornets were rare as hen's teeth, and those that were on evilBay were just outrageously bid up. Finally, a friend located me a "B" in the form of one of Hasegawa's "Special Issue" kits. This one is in the livery of Pax River, and upon opening it, lo and behold but it was the off-the-shelf Hasegawa F/A-18D, right down to the instruction sheet. There were metal gear and a few of those ridiculously hard PE parts, and a separate little bag with the Pax River markings, stencils and a decal map, B-model vertical stabs, and that was it.

I have a Black Box cockpit for the B, and all the Eduard frets, so that part's covered. However, I'm wondering how many modifcations, and which ones, I will have to make to get a reasonable Blue Angels No. 7 from Sept. 1988. The 1987 season CAM decals work for this build. But I still don't have references that give me differences between the B and D. Can anyone out there help me? For example, is all that grill work on the D model going to be the same as that on an early-block F/A-18B, as the subject of the model is? (For the record, it still flies to this day with NASA, and I think it is a Block 5 or 10 a/c.)

Thanks for your indulgence, and of course any guidance would be appreciated.

TOM

The only thing that really stands out is the smoke system line that runs along the engine turkey feathers. I believe there is an extra gadget in the cockpit, possibly a reference guide (like a sight of sorts) and BB may have included that item.

TOM,

You should have all you need for a BA two seater. Use the early style vert stabs. The Hasegawa Hornets include a blanking plate for the gun port and a smoke tube (parts B 13 & C28 respectively). The only addition is a stopwatch that is mounted on the glare shield to the right of the HUD. You also want to be sure to leave off the ECM bumps on the fuselage behind the cockpit.

The instructions to make a B model may be in the small bag with the decals.

Edited by okthree
The only thing that really stands out is the smoke system line that runs along the engine turkey feathers. I believe there is an extra gadget in the cockpit, possibly a reference guide (like a sight of sorts) and BB may have included that item.

FWIW, the smoke pipe is only on the left engine, on the top of the nozzle. I think it is included in the kit, there should be a flashed-over hole in the top fuselage part just in front of the nozzle for it but it probably isn't mentioned in the instructions. I've got a Hase Blue Angel "A" kit at home and can check the instructions for the part number if you like.

For the question of what to do with the kit, use the "B" vertical fins, don't put the 2 antenna bumps on aft of the cockpit, don't put the bumps on the fuselage sides just below the fin or above the strip lights on the nose (only put the 2 on just behind the radome below the strip lights, one per side), don't use the right forward NLG door with the antenna bump on it, and don't carve off the antenna bumps under the intake. That's how to get from a D to a B, or from a C to an A.

The Blue Angels Hornets also have a stopwatch on the glareshield, I think. I don't know what the installation looks like but I think BB may have included it.

IF you can find them Yellowhammer has a set of decals for the Blues that are unreal. They show you how to mix the Blue color properly and answer the majority of your questions. Check the Meteor website under Yellow hammer Erick

Erick,

Do you, or anyone else for thatt matter, have the mix for the proper BA blue?

Mark

Blue Angel Blue is available from Model Master in a spray can and in the glass bottle. Also, Blue Angel Yellow is made by the same company in the glass bottle. Just look for those exact names. Foolproof. :woot.gif:

The blue it is not the right shade. It is too dark.

Edited by okthree

The lights appear to be Blue Jet unique also, I don't recall them on fleet birds ...

I don't know their function though ...

Another note about Blues' Hornets, they ride a little high in the tail on their landing gear due to less weight ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

Right click, save...

Thanks for posting those Erick. I've been struggling to custom mix the blue for the BA jets I've been working on and just can't seem to get it right. This should help. I appreciate you taking the time to post the instructions.

Mark

Guest Mel Sharkskin

Thanks for going to the trouble Erick. Now I can put my questionable finesse with the old airbrush to the real test. Really appreciate all the help I've received on the subject from all of you.

TOM

here is a picture of the stopwatch. i found this on the web. I have a question as well. those indicator lights on the instrument shroud, are those Blue Angel unique or are they on other F-18's?

elcentroweek_068.jpg

I finally spoke to a friend of mine who used to fly with the Blue Angels during the 2000/2001 show season. He said the lights on the glare shield were for the inverted pump indicator. The BA fly inverted longer than what is normally permitted for the Hornet so the Blue Angels aircraft are modified with a boost pump mounted to the top of the fuel tank. When they fly an inverted manuver for an extended period that pump is truned on, and while inverted fuel is pumped from the main tank to the feed tank. As fuel in the feed tanks is burned, the light would turns from green to yellow to red. When the light turns red it's time to roll back to a normal flight attitude.

Guest Mel Sharkskin

You guys are great! Now I have another question: I remember that in both cockpits of the bird I flew in, a good part of the glare shade over the instrument panels was cut away on one side. I seem to have seen evidence of this in other, single-seat Blues aircraft. Is there a reason for this, or have these aircraft, which have seen some hard flying as line birds before the Blues get them, just got worn out places in the office? If there is a reason it is cut away, it would be a detail that would add interest to any BA model.

TOM

here's a great site with BA photos.

(www.airshowaction.com/elcentro06/page1))))))))))))))

one thing i noticed is how the paint job is definately not as perfect as most people model them. there are alot of scratches and dings here and there, and yes, the cockpits show their age. i think i'm going to try to get that look right. that fine line between a nice shiney but not perfect paint job.

good luck on your build.

Bill