Question regarding my first airliner build

Can anyone explain to me the best strategy for building an airliner model? I just received the Zvezda Il-86 kit and I am not sure how most people handle all of the little passenger windows. If I use the transparent inserts, how can I paint the fuselage (do you really mask off all of the windows?). Do people usually omit the inserts and just leave the holes as windows? Or do most people fill them all in with putty and find window decals to use?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

-Aaron

I just leave the kit windows out and fill them in after painting with Micro-Crystal clear. Some install the windows then sand them flush and then sand them with 1200 grit paper, then they mask them and paint over them then unmask them before the clear coat which them makes the sanded windows look perfectly clear again.

Edited by Roi

Aaron,

I used both ways

- filled them and used decals to show windows and

- left holes and after paint and decaling used micro-Crystal Clear to create see-thru windows.

Both of those methods works, but my 8 years old daughter told me, that filled-out and decaled windows look "fake".

There is a third way to do windows, and based on your IL-86 kit it may work. On most airliners windows are inside of "cheat line" (Аэрофлот с его синей полоской!), which is a decal in most cases. So, if your decal got holes on it, and you have plastic windows you can paint fuselage halves BEFORE gluing them togheter, then glue plastic windows to thier plalces, assemble fuselage, and then mask thin line of windows before doing final paint job, then remove mask from windows and apply decals.

What do you think about this way?

Leo.

Don't use the moulded windows!

Window decals on this one:

ThomasCookModel757Stbd.jpg

This is a Minicraft kit, moulded without portholes - so decals was the only option.

Humbrol clearfix on this one - can you tell the difference?:

Airfix_BATrident.jpg

This is an Airfix kit with moulded portholes. Glazing is easy - if there are no cheatline decals to punch through.

AirfixCaravelleVC9C.jpg

Both of these are Airfix - with moulded portholes.

I filled and decaled windows on Air Force One DC-9.

I punched the cheatline and clearfixed windows on the Air France Caravelle. This is the most risky and least easy solution.

I prefer the decals option if it's available.

I too think decaled windows look bad... I prefer painting the model, applying the decals then clearcoating the plane, to harden the decals a bit and then you use fresh No11 blade to cut out the wholes where decals overlap the window hole... when this is done, just fill the holes with Clearfix... I think it's still the best looking effect...

22.jpg

Edited by Sebastijan
I agree- leave the windows, then fill with clearfix or white glue/PVA.

I've tried that method on two builds now and I have to say I haven't really been impressed with the results. Perhaps it's simply operator error, or perhaps I'm using the wrong stuff (a really old bottle of Super Kristal Kleer - anybody remember that?). So far it's only made me wish for the decal option. However, my current build (Airfix BAC 1-11) has the fuselage holes for the passenger windows, so I'll be giving it another go.

Kev

There is a third way to do windows, and based on your IL-86 kit it may work. On most airliners windows are inside of "cheat line" (Аэрофлот с его синей полоской!), which is a decal in most cases. So, if your decal got holes on it, and you have plastic windows you can paint fuselage halves BEFORE gluing them togheter, then glue plastic windows to thier plalces, assemble fuselage, and then mask thin line of windows before doing final paint job, then remove mask from windows and apply decals.

What do you think about this way?

Leo.

FWIW, a word of warning re this third method. I agree that it should work in principle. I'm building the IL-86 right now (and always use decal windows anyway) and noticed that some of the windows stand proud on the outside of the fuselage when fitted. So, if you do go this route, you should check for fit before starting the paint, and sand the parts down to be flush.

Roy

If you're talking about open windows, I fill them in.

First, run a piece of tape (electrical tape works well) along the exterior of the fueselage halve, covering the windows. Make sure to rub it down hard and tight; you don't want any leakage.

Second, SLOWLY dribble some CA into the window openings from the inside, taking things very methodically to eliminate any air bubbles getting mixed in. If all goes well, the CA will dry in place, completely filling up the window hole.

Third, after the glue is completely dry, remove the tape and do any finish puttying and sanding necessary to create a nice clean look. A Flexifile works great, here, to avoid flattening the window line.

The nice part about this method is that it creates a tough window representation in case you handle your models a lot (it won't easily break), and since windows on the real aircraft are usually somewhat flat in comparison to the round fuselage section, you should get that same effect; this is why you pull the tape taut after applying it, as you don't want too much deformation. You want the tape to stay straight even with the minimal weight of the glue pushing on it. Also, you'll be able to see the ghost of the old window line after painting, helping you to position the new decal windows.

Anyway, that's my method. To each his own.

Robert

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. I'm not sure which approach to take, but at least now I am informed. I think I will wait on the Il-86 and start with my Postal Service 727 by minicraft - no passenger windows to worry about.

I would love to see more pics of completed (or in progress) airliners using the various techniques described above.

Thanks again,

-Aaron

Just one thing to remember about having clear windows; you need to paint int inside of the fuselage black, or it will look awfull. On my Revell Connie I painted the inside of the plastic parts black and then masked over them (I'm doing the Lufthansa scheme, so I can leave a little bit of bare plastic around the windows)