• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A Delta and a Echo during WTI 10-1

metal42.jpg

echo14.jpg

echo14-2.jpg

Here's one for you. This was taken at Point Mugu. The QF-86 had performed a gear up landing at I believe San Nicolas island.

QF-86_small.jpg

STUNNERS....so SUPERB..... :jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping:

And able to perform some neat feats to boot....WOW !!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres some more pics of the Rotor Heads and exhaust from a CH-53E. Hope they help everyone as much as they have helped me. JOSH

7353222732_8be34c92b5_z.jpg

SANY1985 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7168012193_3dd89cffa6_z.jpg

SANY1984 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7168011605_5b5fa509d4_z.jpg

SANY1980 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7168011119_df4aceb52d_z.jpg

SANY1979 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7353220738_cc0c49ac18_z.jpg

SANY1978 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7168010227_ccb835f078_z.jpg

SANY1977 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7353219680_63a4a99a91_z.jpg

IMG_3856crop[1] by Devilleader501, on Flickr

i got one for ya. this was on one of the 2 birds in the group of 3 that WASNT the one to be carrying the MH-47G

Picture%2525201967.jpg

LOL, nice...

I painted a giant Playboy Bunny logo on our main gearbox drip pan on my Pave Low back in the 80s :woot.gif:

• 5 weeks later...

I have dad's logbooks and gone over them, so I have BuNos, but no Modex tie ups. I know he had the most flights in 152409 followed by 153290, if you want the complete list, let me know. The only tie up I do have is YN13 153313.

A long time ago I was making the Revell CH-53 that came with 361 markings and I asked dad which number to put on it, and he told me the story of YN13.

On July 21, 1976 dad was doing CarQuals in YN13 and ended up getting 50 landings over 8.3 hours. Well he landed and the squadron got ready to go overseas, dad was transitioning to AH-1s, so he wasn't going. On July 27th, 361 and YN13 headed south for San Diego, and less than a half hour into YN13s next flight, the tail rotor separated form the A/C and it went down at the northern edge of Pendelton. A couple of the crew survived, a couple didn't.

I didn't know the ID of YN13 until I went through his logbook and tied it to 153313, more research show it's loss shortly afterwards and that locked the identification.

So to say the least I am thinking about getting that kit, and doing YN13 right. If anyone out there has pics of 361 in mid 77, let me know.

mason

Nice information, Mason. I'm writing a book about on the historry of the Sikorsky

"Big Iron".

According to the data I have from the Navy Safety Center, the helicopter mishap occured 26 July 1976, 1.5 mile SSW from Camp Pendelton.

Mike

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread. Back in 2008 I asked for some pics on my '53E build, and didnt get any response. I've just pulled this build back out again after not touching it since the last post I made.

I'm trying to find pictures of the various avionics compartments, etc. Basically if it can be opened on my model, I've opened it, and thus need pictures of the different areas. Ive managed to get several pretty decent shots of the engines, and a few shots of the forward compartment on the nose behind the IP, but most of the other areas I dont have. I also have some decent shots of the dog house area (but definitely wouldnt mind more). Specifically I'm looking for the compartments below the pilot & co-pilot, the rotor transmission area, the oil cooler thats next to the rear port side engine, and I just started thinking about trying to do part of the driveshaft that goes to the tail rotor, so pictures of that area would be awesome too.

TIA

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thought I'd bump this thread. Back in 2008 I asked for some pics on my '53E build, and didnt get any response. I've just pulled this build back out again after not touching it since the last post I made.

I'm trying to find pictures of the various avionics compartments, etc. Basically if it can be opened on my model, I've opened it, and thus need pictures of the different areas. Ive managed to get several pretty decent shots of the engines, and a few shots of the forward compartment on the nose behind the IP, but most of the other areas I dont have. I also have some decent shots of the dog house area (but definitely wouldnt mind more). Specifically I'm looking for the compartments below the pilot & co-pilot, the rotor transmission area, the oil cooler thats next to the rear port side engine, and I just started thinking about trying to do part of the driveshaft that goes to the tail rotor, so pictures of that area would be awesome too.

TIA

Apologies for the ridonculous necropost, but I thought I'd stick my head in here. Having recently finished a five year hitch in the Marines as a CH-53E airframe mech, I just couldn't stay away from a thread about my beloved $h!tters. Regrettably, though, Adam, I don't have any pictures for you. Photography was never encouraged when we were doing maintenance, because some of the other squadrons' aircraft had classified equipment, and also because phones and cameras and such were FOD, and as such weren't supposed to be out on the line. But I can tell you that depending on how far you decide to go with such a project, you could be scratch-building and detailing that model for ten years, easily.

You're basically describing a maintenance procedure called a 30 Day No Fly. That means that every door, work platform, and access panel on the aircraft is opened and completely cleaned out and defodded, and inspected by the QA shop. All the tail driveshaft panels come off, the panels under the transition section (tail boom) come off, all the panels came off of the tail pylon (the thousand bolt panel, the million bolt panel, a third one whose name I forget, the two grilles over the intermediate gearbox, the "taco shell" over the #7 tail driveshaft, and the gladiator cage and squirrel cages around the tail gearbox), and I'm pretty sure we even had to pull the floorboards out of the cargo compartment (which also required pulling out the cargo rollers, dual-point cargo hook door seals, cargo winch, and cargo winch mount. and then once you'd gotten all that off of the bird, and QA has done their thing, you have to put it all back on! In short, what a 30 Day No Fly boils down to is a stupendous pain in the a$$ for the maintenance department, and a scratchbuilder's dream/nightmare. I do wish you luck, though, and look forward to seeing the result.

Again, sorry for the necropost, and I did very much enjoy everyone's pictures of my favorite helo.

BTW, I've just finished building a Revell 1/72nd scale Pave Low, have a second one in the mail, as well as a Revell CH-53E in progress (found it on Ebay, just got it delivered today. I've emailed Creighton at MAWDecals about the possibility of getting decals for my old squadron), and then I've got an Italeri MH-53E and an Italeri MH-53J (which will be built as a CH-53D if I can get decals for it from Creighton) waiting on the shelves. Basically, I'm doing a one-man $h!tter group-build. Pics to follow when and if I finish them all.

Edited by Tomcat Fanatic