Tamyia F-117 Panel Lines

I don't have much experience using Mr Surfacer but I was wondering if anyone has used it (Mr. Surfacer 1000) to eliminate the annoying panel lines on the model. I was thinking of lightly brushing it on and then sanding it smooth. Will this approach work??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Howard

Yeah, don't brush it on. Just put some on a palette (wax paper, etc..), and use a pin or something to transfer small amounts. Just work in small sections, as the glue will set up instantly when you hit it with the accelerator, and you only have a few minutes to sand it down before it gets rock hard.

-Doug :wub:

• 5 years later...

Does the real life F-117 have any panel lines at all? If yes, which ones?

None that would show up in a scale model. Panel lines would be rather counterproductive to its stealth properties, after all.

HTH,

Andre

Does the real life F-117 have any panel lines at all? If yes, which ones?

Yes, being a metal airplane it has panel lines. But they're all covered up with radar absorbing material (RAM) so they're not visible.

Re using superglue - you'd drive yourself insane trying to put super glue all over the panel lines on a 1/48 F-118 with a pin. Just get some super glue applicator tips and flow it into the panel lines straight from the bottle. I don't use accelerator, as it can often cause the super glue to bubble up (at least it does for me). If you just apply the super glue and let it cure on its own it works great. Just keep the part level so it doesn't drip while it's curing.

I'd use Mr Dissolve Putty. Put it in the lines, let it sit for 24 hrs so it shrinks completely (this should be more than enough time), then sand it off. The problem with CA glue is that its easy to sand into the plastic since the CA gets very hard.