A couple of Mustangs

Years ago when I was still in the Air Guard, I was given a box of 35mm slides that were going to be discarded by the base history office. Most were nothing of great historic value but there were a few gems. I recently found the slides again and had some prints made. Two are shown below. I do not have any information about where, when or what unit/s. I do know these are a couple of sweet lookin' Mustangs whose images deserve much better than being consigned to the landfill.

Mustang1.jpg

Mustang2.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME pics!

Guess the trash cans from that base should be checked often by somebody!

Thanks for sharing them :cheers:

Sincerely,

Jorge.

Now, where is that unbuilt P-51 kit I had...?

That's a couple of fantastic shots. Thanks for posting them.

I found another photo of the second one, 44-73822, a P-51D-25-NA, in the same markings as your photo above, indicating it was with the 192d Fighter Bomber Squadron at Keflavik, in 1952. In fact, it appears to be exactly the same photo. Also, this particular plane is apparently still flying as N51BS.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NN...p;cmndfind.y=11

Edited by David Walker
  • 3 years later...
Years ago when I was still in the Air Guard, I was given a box of 35mm slides that were going to be discarded by the base history office. Most were nothing of great historic value but there were a few gems. I recently found the slides again and had some prints made. Two are shown below. I do not have any information about where, when or what unit/s. I do know these are a couple of sweet lookin' Mustangs whose images deserve much better than being consigned to the landfill.

Mustang1.jpg

Mustang2.jpg

I am highly interested in all images of Mustangs which were stationed in Keflavik, Iceland with the Iceland Defence Force en.wikipedia.org Please post some more images of these Mustangs if you have them. I have some images in my collection of the Mustangs in question which I can e-mail to anyone interested.

Fantastic images!

Thank you for saving and sharing them. :lol:

I love that shot of FF-197, not just because I like these markings even more than those of FF-882, but also because of the compositon of the shot.

I like the inclusion of the Mustangs with standard markings and the wing of the Mustang from which it was shot.

When I look at it longer than 5 seconds, I think of getting me and my camera safely down before I tear myself away again. :D

Cheers, Stefan.

Those are great photos. I had them in my digital photo archive previously but I can't remember the source. Does anyone else remember seeing these previously?

:D

• 5 years later...

Hello B-17fan!

I am in possession of original documents from Col. Robert Gruenhagen, who was flight chief, line chief and quality control inspector for the F-51 Mustangs squadron stationed at Keflavik-airbase, Iceland in 1952-53. Gruenhagen also is the author of the well known book „MUSTANG - The Story Of The P-51 Fighter“ which incorporates photographs from his stay in Keflavik, Iceland. In his documents Gruenhagen states:

„P-51 assignment, Iceland

During august 27, 1952, 35 Mustangs were readied for launch from George AFB, Victorville, California with destination og Keflavik, Iceland by 1 September, 1952. The aircraft were prepared in A/W T.O. 00-25-4 for overseas transfer and modified with APX-6 transponders to provide the latest IFF capability.

Two groups of 17 and 18 aircraft were flown across the U.S. in a northern and southern routing through bases coordinated for en-route support. Two C-119 aircraft were manned with 15 man crews to follow the flights and repair ant turn and launch the Mustangs at each base. Intend was to reach the east coast with 30 aircraft and proceed on with the best 25 for the final destination. The serials listed below were in place in Keflavik and on alert by 15 September of 1952.

The aircraft were assigned to the 192 Ftr Bmr Sqdn. (TAC) with support crews made up from three squadrons of the 146 Ftr Bmr Wg, the 178th, 186th and 190th.

Serial:

44-72708

44-73788

44-74482

44-74880

44-74845

44-74717

44-73769

44-74586

44-74963

44-72843

44-74377

44-74522

44-84769

44-74382*

44-73996

44-73826

44-74870

44-73409

44-74317

44-74811

44-84834

44-74975

44-74959

44-74368

45-11364

The aircraft served until April, 1953 and were replaced by F-94B interceptors assigned to the 82nd FIS. The Mustang unit designation changed to the 436th Ftr Sqdn on 1 December, 1952.

The Mustangs were flown to England, (Renfrew) and transferred to AMC at Brookley field, Mobile Alabama and eventually to Norton AFB Sam Bernardino California were they were scrapped in May of 1954.

*) 44-74382 was left at BW-1 (Narssasuak, Greenland) enroute for an engine change which was completed in one week. A B-26 Navigation aircraft accompanied the Mustangs on all the overwater legs and the later pick-up of 382.“

The serials of the first three Mustangs in the lineup on the ramp can be identified as

44-72197 / FF-197

44-74317 / FF-317

44-84857 / FF-857 (or 44-84957 / FF-957).

The serial of the Mustang on the second photograph is 44-73822 / FF-822.

Of these 4 aircraft only 44-74317 / FF-317 actually arrived and served in Iceland according to Gruenhagen. I therefore conclude that the other three Mustangs (which can be identified) were part of the group of 10 Mustangs which were left behind as the other 25 Mustangs proceeded on to Iceland.

The photograph of “FF-197” shown at the beginning of this thread shows the aircraft without the distinctive arctic-red markings which was applied to all the 25 IDF-Mustangs which actually served with the IDF in Iceland before their transfer from the USA to Iceland. The photograph of “FF-822” shows the aircraft with a blend of original 192nd FBS stripes on the aft fuselage and canopy frame and the arctic-red markings of the IDF. No photographs are known to exist which show “FF-197” and “FF-822” actually stationed in Iceland. All known photographs of “FF-197” and “FF-822” are obviously taken in other countries than in Iceland.

The transfer of the IDF-Mustangs from USA to Iceland is also documented by Jeffrey L. Ethell (1947-1997) in his well known book „P-51 Mustang, A Documentary History“. Jeffrey was the son of Major Ervin „Erv“ C. Ethell (1920-2003) which commanded the IDF-Mustangs during the first half of their seven month service time in Iceland before being replaced by F-94Cs in 1953.

Included are two b&w photographs of the IDF-Mustangs in Keflavik.

F-51D_472843_49119-AC sharp copy.jpg

Edited by bjb
  • 3 weeks later...