Peter Doll's F-100

I am not used to start this kind of topics, since all the models on this site have such a high standard, but Peter's effort deserves a special mention, since the photos can easily lead to think it's a real aeroplane.

For me the top result of a modeling effort is right this, when a model, properly photographed and set in the proper environment, looks like real.

And a special mention to the article, that praises Trumpeter for a model that is not perfect, but fixable: which is not every modeler's stance toward Trumpeter.

Simply outstanding.

Davide

I have to agree with all of the above here....... I'm not going to build one of these anytime soon,as it is really outside of my interests.But Peter's F-100 honestly made me think I was missing out on not getting one!!

Excellent work Peter!

Full Afterburner....

Scot M.

Edited by Scot M
For me the top result of a modeling effort is right this, when a model, properly photographed and set in the proper environment, looks like real.

Davide

Like Peter said in his write-up, outdoor light is the best! Great job Peter!

It is a beauty indeed. Anyone know how he painted it?

He 'painted' it with regular kitchen aluminum foil. I saw that model last weekend at a modelshow in Bühl / Germany. It's simply fantastic. Peter also had some of his previos models there, one the best model display I've ever seen. How he achieves these finishes with regular foil will forever be a science I don't understand.

Lothar

He 'painted' it with regular kitchen aluminum foil. I saw that model last weekend at a modelshow in Bühl / Germany. It's simply fantastic. Peter also had some of his previos models there, one the best model display I've ever seen. How he achieves these finishes with regular foil will forever be a science I don't understand.

Lothar

Thanks Lothar.

Brad

Peter Doll:

I suppose this would be as good a time as any to enter one more plea for Mr. Doll to elaborate just a little on his technique. I've looked up as many of his metal finishes in the ARC gallery as I could find with the foil technique and found a brief discussion in which he talks about using 1 cm strips and achieving different shades by boiling the foil with eggshells. Peter, it would be very nice (and I'll quit repeatedly emailing you) if you would go into a little more detail, such as...

...do you use such small strips on all the surfaces?

...do you overlap or butt the edges, and do you do anything to blend the abutting edges together?

...do you polish different areas or treat them to achieve variations in shade in addition to the egg shells

...do you simply photograph real aircraft and set up elaborate displays using complex advanced holographic technology?

Quite simply, my goal is to try and emulate your beautiful work. You probably get tired of people gushing over it all the time.

Regards, Greg

I'll grant you the metal finish is certainly superb. But I believe the real one this gorgeous model is modeled after was not natural metal. It was painted silver lacquer, as were most F-100's. There is a photo of the real Hun on the F-100 site here...

http://www.f-100.info/images/f-100d_63307-2.jpg

While NMF may not be correct, it sure as heck is well done! I have tried the aluminum foil method myself and haven't had good luck with it. My modeling hat is off to you sir! :thumbsup:

Terry Sumner

I'll grant you the metal finish is certainly superb. But I believe the real one this gorgeous model is modeled after was not natural metal. It was painted silver lacquer, as were most F-100's. There is a photo of the real Hun on the F-100 site here...

http://www.f-100.info/images/f-100d_63307-2.jpg

While NMF may not be correct, it sure as heck is well done! I have tried the aluminum foil method myself and haven't had good luck with it. My modeling hat is off to you sir! :D

Terry Sumner

I honestly think this statement is not 100% accurate. Like the 105, the 100 shipped (at one time) in bare NMF. Additionally, like the 105, corrision dictated the laquer paint jobs later seen and often mistaken for dull metalics.

Pete is pretty good on reference, I would venture to guess his is correct. He is also the most talented "foil guy" out there. His 105 is superb as is this one.

My two pennies,

Jarrod Cunningham

Austin, Texas

Peter has made a fantastic job of this kit, which is an inspiration to me as it is my next project!

He is right in one respect, it is a great kit to build, short on faults and long on incredible detail. If I may make one criticism of the kit, it could do with some more ordnance if they are going to include a SE Asia decal option.

There is the question mark over the mid-life F-100's painted vs bare metal finish but to be honest who cares - I can make no criticism of Peter's build, it is truly inspirational!