• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh wow !!

This is an AWESOME sight,thank you

{the link does not work for ME <_</> }

The three T-38's is a great display. What I don't understand is how a small airport in the middle of no where is able to get the USAF to give them three T-38's for display. What is the connection here?

Steve

The three T-38's is a great display. What I don't understand is how a small airport in the middle of no where is able to get the USAF to give them three T-38's for display. What is the connection here?

Steve

Link to a news article regarding the Owatonna Thunderbirds monument: New location for Owatonna’s Three T-38 Talon “Thunderbird†Jets

Here's a few unusual T-38 shots I took years ago.

During the Thunderbirds conversion to F-16s, they kept a couple of Talons with the team number on the tail replaced by the squadron emblem. This one had been stripped of paint and smoke equipment and was going on an FCF prior to being transferred to another unit:

68-8106NellisAFBJanuary1983ScottRWilson.jpg

Here's one of the birds they kept for awhile:

ThunderbirdT-38NellisAFBJanuary1983ScottRWilson.jpg

You guys may recall the terrible accident in January 1982 when four of the T-bird T-38s hit the ground. I took these at Indian Springs in mid February:

Thunderbird4wreckIndianSpringsAAFFebruary1982ScottRWilson.jpg

ThunderbirdcockpitwreckIndianSpringsAAFFebruary1982ScottRWilson.jpg

Thunderbird1wreckIndianSpringsAAFFebruary1982ScottRWilson.jpg

A photo I took at Kelly AFB with a nasty thunderstorm approaching:

67-14828July1981KellyAFBScottRWilson.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Seeing that broken and charred remains of a cockpit sent chills through me. I saw the thunderbirds when I was little back in the 70's at Lunken airport in Cincinnati and they were cool looking in the Talons. I even got an autograph from the # 3 pilot whose name was Walt. I've always wanted to build a talon with the #3 on it .

I saw the T-Birds in Talons in September '81 in Cleveland. There was an accident with loss of pilot as they were leaving BKE after the show, a birdstrike and unsuccessful ejection (the crew chief in back got out OK). Then just a few months later the even bigger tragedy at Indian Springs. Let us hope the past 30 years of fatality-free flying continues for the rest of Thunderbird history!

On a brighter note, I see the XC-99 in the background of the Kelly AFB photo. It may be of more interest than the T-38!