KC-135 Parking Only

I got to tell you, it was (and still is I'm sure) an adventure putting one of those intake covers on a CFM-56 in the North Dakota winds!

Mark

Oh, it still is. You can take my word on that one(even in Japan).

Edited by aerodrew
NICE phots! Is that Milwaukee where it is landing?

Nope. Right in my backyard...well almost. Appleton, WI Outagamie County Airport aka KATW I'm a stones throw away from the airport. After it made a pass by my place I went over to catch them on approach.

Here one is passing by in the pattern past my place.

lowpass135.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple from the Utah ANG. 151st ARW. The E-model (57-1510) is waiting for it's last flight up to Hill Aerospace Museum. The R-model (64-14828) is a regular flyer there. I took these photos on 3/19/09. Note the sticker/painting (?) on the T.O. box inside 64-14828. Pretty cool!

Mark

001.jpg

002-1.jpg

006.jpg

007-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Edited by F106A
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a quick trip to Grand Forks and managed to get this shot of the KC-135A, sn 63-8005 on display at the front gate. They repainted her sometime last year but I'm not sure how to describe the color. I see what they wanted to do - the old SAC scheme - but the gray has a green tint to it. It should be more of a gloss gray like FS 16473. Notice also they put a flag on the tail, a-la the current AMC style. But, they got it backwards! I guess the folks who painted it had their hearts in the right place. I just wish they would have chatted with the historian! Or me!

Mark

100_2597.jpg

A little off topic. EC-135K 53-3118 taken on a Kona wind day, (southernly winds) landing at the Honolulu International Airport/Hickam runway, circa 1975 or 76, before the reef runway came into service. One of my favorite shots.

ec-135k1.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• 4 months later...

On page 6, on tail 80054 (w/the orange stripes): is it an optical illusion or did the rudder run the full length of the vertical fin on early models? And on that particular jet, the fin and rudder assembly seem a bit larger than on later jets. Maybe I'm just seein' things. :thumbsup: