KC-135 Parking Only

Not a KC but an RC-135, is that ok?

Julien :monkeydance:

Okay? The very raison d'etre for the KC is the RC! :whistle: More than okay, I'd say crackers! Nothing better than an old RC with a five digit radio call on the tail and NO friggin TAC (or whatever it's called this week) tail code. RC-135s belong in SAC!

:taunt:

J (used to keep them RC boys safe from the bad Russkies back in the day)

Here's something you'll never see again! One each KC-135Es (in their proper color scheme - anything else is sacrilege) from Arizona, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Kansas, Maine, Arkansas, and Tennessee. The hole is where Utah was parked, but they were out on a mission. I never did find out why so many units flew one jet each to Elmendorf in the spring of '85, but it sure as heck did make for some tasty photography on that transient ramp for a little 23 year old 1st Lootenant/KC-135 geek, I'll assure you of that! Imagine if we'd had digital photography back then!?!?! I wouldn't have gone broke buying KR64 at the BX :worship:

J

135tails.jpg

Okay? The very raison d'etre for the KC is the RC! :worship: More than okay, I'd say crackers! Nothing better than an old RC with a five digit radio call on the tail and NO friggin TAC (or whatever it's called this week) tail code. RC-135s belong in SAC!

:taunt:

J (used to keep them RC boys safe from the bad Russkies back in the day)

Yes SAC, the good old days! Top 2 pics were taken in 1989. My photo notes say 55 SRW with the 306th Support Wing at RAF Mildenhall. Not sure on the head on shot but suspect later at Mildenhall.

Julien

Hawaii Heavies parked on the Big Island:

DSC00448.jpg

Disregard the purple airstairs. They're from Hawaiian airlines.

I don't crew this particular Tail however.

EDIT: Thought this was funny.

Taken from a KC-135E model at Sheppard AFB. This particular jet is grounded and only used to train crew chiefs in the AETC

DSC00214.jpg

In case anyone was wondering, it's the latrine. The skinny milk can down there is actually a urinal. Urine is an especially powerful corrosive agent.

Edited by aerodrew
In case anyone was wondering, it's the latrine. The skinny milk can down there is actually a urinal.

Seeing that urinal can reminded me of my years at Carswell--84-93. In the Fab flight, we took two of those urinals (unused of course) and adapted spigots to them. One was for "leaded" and one for "unleaded" beverages during anything from Friday afternoon roll call to promotion parties to the odd dining-out/in.

What was funny was the first time party guests who had never seen the cans before geting their beverage out of them, and the reaction on their faces a few minutes later when we explained that the odd looking drink dispensers were a/c urinals.

Edited by txtom
Might be streching it a bit, an E-3 on static at the Dubai Airshow

Yes, it's a stretch. You could as well have posted a P-51 photo :cheers: But it's a common misconception, so we'll let it slide. At least the horizontal stabs are the same.

:cheers:

J

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Twobobs is gearing up to do some decals for the "R" model. He mentions Academy doing a re-release in October. Good to see these kits on the market again and even better some AM decals to go with them. Don M. :sunrevolves:

Twobobs is gearing up to do some decals for the "R" model. He mentions Academy doing a re-release in October. Good to see these kits on the market again and even better some AM decals to go with them. Don M. :worship:

That is great news. I really like the KC-135.

Does anyone have feedback on the AMT kit? Is it good to go out of the box? If not, any decent aftermarket stuff out there to enhance it?

John

• 4 months later...

Taken in 2000 at McGhee-Tyson ANG Base when most of the Tennessee E-models were off getting Pacer-Crag updates. This was a loaner from Arizona so we had something to do besides play cards! At the time this was one of the oldest KC-135s still flying. Note the -95 air cart. At the time we were still using external air primarily for engine starts. 3-4, disconnect air, then 1-2. It's funny but I remember we flew those nose tires until we absolutely had to change them! I don't think Tennessee wanted to pay for new tires on an Airzona bird!

I just remembered too, note the tail stand is inserted on the left side. As I recall that was changed to the right side about half-way through the 56-model year. I can't recall the specifics as to why though.

Mark

012-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Edited by F106A

Hey Jennings! Look at the difference between 55-3143 from your photo and mine. I just realized that Arizona sure owned that bird for a long time!

Pretty neat!!

Mark

Edited by F106A
Man just really hit me how HUGE the engines on the R model really are, yep need to get me one!

Ric

I got to tell you, it was (and still is I'm sure) an adventure putting one of those intake covers on a CFM-56 in the North Dakota winds!

Mark

Edited by F106A