:D :doh: Not real happy at the moment....I stuffed the paint work, so she's stripped (which removed some of the paint from the instrument panel despite a blu-tac cover) Also, some blemishes that weren't easily discernable without the paint showed up under closer examination. <_< <_<

I built the "Bugsmasher" kit many years ago , dressed it up as one that I had flown at Downsview then got slammed at a local contest because I had not corrected the over wing nacelle fairings. Some of the very early versions...WW2 era>>>had the short nacelles but the RCAF/RCN versions had the longer nacelles.

One very striking scheme would be "1539"...white top with RCAF lightening stripe, RCAF style drop shadow full title, Red wing tips and stabilizer and Blue/White stripes on the rudders.

Barney

Hi Barney...I'm actually building a similar scheme - pretty much as you described, but without the lightning bolt and red wing tips. The decals came from CanMilAir..The final scheme will be white on top, black anti-glare panel on the nose and inside of the engine nacelles, flat aluminium fins and stabilizer/elevator, and BMF lower fuselage/wings. I've touched up the intrument panel, and will be priming later on today. Hopefully this will highlight any blemishes I've overlooked to this point.. :D

A friend of mine built one complete with FULL cockpit detail, right down to the approach plates on the control yokes...in RCAF scheme of course. The fun part on mine was doing the fuselage lightening bolt one piece at a time. I made a template with the correct angles then cut out each piece then fitted everything together...

Barney.

• 4 weeks later...

More bad luck.......I'd repainted the stabilizer and the upper fuselage when the two fuselage halves split at the top behind the cabin. So now I've had to strip the white paint ( I used nail polish remover applied carefully with a tissue and a cotton bud) and have to repair the seam. At least the wings are coming along nicely.....touch wood!

More bad luck.......I'd repainted the stabilizer and the upper fuselage when the two fuselage halves split at the top behind the cabin. So now I've had to strip the white paint ( I used nail polish remover applied carefully with a tissue and a cotton bud) and have to repair the seam. At least the wings are coming along nicely.....touch wood!

seems like you are having a pretty rough time with this one. At least it will be one nice looking Bugmasher when it is done. keep it up!!!

sean

Quick update....I promise I will post some more pics.....last weekend was a long weekend here in Melbourne, and I managed to get a fair amount - by my standards - of modelling in. The seam was giving me fits, mainly due to the three vents above the cabin - I couldn't get the sandpaper in close enough to get them to my liking. So I bit the bullet, and removed the vents and finally got the finish I wanted on top of the fuselage.....<<YAY>>. I then scratch built three more vents, and now have painted the top of the cabin yet again. One more coat should see it done, then I can get on with the rest of the model. The next stage is masking the tail fins to paint the de-icing boots.

Hi Barney..truth be told, I hadn't thought of that..it would be very simple to use decal material for the wings and horizontal stabilizer, but not so easy for the tailfin. I've been working on a plastic template for the fin so I can lay it down on a piece of Tamiya tape, then cut around it. It's not quite right yet, but its getting there. On this kit, it appears that the di-icing boots are engraved into the LE of the wing, but not on the stabilizer or fin...

At last, a photographic update....She's ready for the BMF, save for a little surface finishing.

C-45008.jpg

I'm really wanting to decal the fins/rudders and put them aside, because I reckon they'll look pretty good once they're done, so maybe that's something I'll do tomorrow..

Ah, the joys of BMF :worship: I never thought it'd be this fiddly - but I must admit, it looks OK to me. This is 1 1/2 sessions worth, with some on the underside.

C-45016.jpgOn close inspection, there are a few faults, but I'm prepared to live with them for now....it's my first attempt, after all.

The BMF is coming along slowly, but surely. I feel that I may run out, however. Many of the strips have torn whilst peeling them off the backing, and the pieces left in my hand have been too small to be of any use. I posted about this problem in Tools & Tips - I suspect that I may have picked a bad batch. If I can find another sheet in a hurry, I should be OK - I'll see how much I have left when I run out....

I've run out of usable BMF :thumbsup: The sheet that I've been using is just falling apart in a lot of places. It's very inconsistent in the way it separates from the backing paper - sometimes it comes off OK, other times it just rips. I've been very careful while removing it, but at this point, its a losing battle. To date, the left wing is completely done, and some of the fuselage has been done. The right wing is untouched, as are the U/C doors. The really frustrating thing is that I was starting to enjoy using the stuff - it goes on like a dream, and is easy to remove if I stuff up a panel. So the situation for me is if I can't get another sheet tomorrow, it's the end of the line. :D

EDIT: Word filter got me...oops!

Edited by damo

Well, I got another sheet of BMF, but not until today. It's taking longer than I thought to get the job done - even in the photo, there's areas that aren't quite right. I'll push on as far as I can, but .....

C-45017.jpg

My daughter came up to me earlier, as I was doing the fuselage side. She said "That's lovely, Daddy" When it's done, it'll be hanging from her ceiling. :thumbsup:

Hi Sean...It's pretty easy to apply, as long as you take your time. Initially, I was trying to cover 2 or 3 panels at a time, but have since changed my approach to individual panels. I just use a cotton bud - or q-tip - to burnish the foil down, and have a couple of toothpicks on hand for those hard to reach areas. one of which is cut to a chisel point. I also change blades regularly. If you stuff it up, use the chiselled toothpick to remove that section, then re-apply. Even the compound curves of the nose and cowl were fairly easy.

• 3 weeks later...

After 2 bad lots of BMF - I was only able to use the material around the edges of the sheet - I received a replacement sheet yesterday. So far, the port wing and fuselage are covered, and parts of the starboard wing are done too. All I need to do is finish the starboard wing and the undercarriage doors, then put her all together....Better late than never, I guess :thumbsup: