Best OOB kits in 1/72?

I'm basically a modern jet/helo builder, with some modern armor thrown in every once in a while. I recently discovered the joys of putty and metal wire, and my completion rate has gone bye-bye since - though thankfully I've learned not to start anything else I'm likely to turn... enthusiastic about.

Looking through my meager stash isn't any help - everything I have is in the same category as what's already on the bench, meaning "this could do with some more putty, and wire, and..." or it just has a gargantuan decal sheet with a zillion little stencils that'll end up causing premature baldness.

I figure the cure is to build some shake-and-bake kits that I won't be able to turn accu-nazi on, that come with nice detail and accuracy out of the box and decals that'll be all on in half an hour, in 1/72 scale so I won't have to buy more shelf space every few weeks. Also, variety in building is the key - I don't want more than two of any basic model if avoidable.

Can anyone name me some kits to look for to get started? The European manufacturers and Hasegawa are what's most readily available in the shops, but the odd Academy kit turns up every now and then and I may be able to get some stuff from the local club if I know what I'm looking for...

SP

The Tamiya stuff is excellent, but at a cost. Most of the Hasegwa stuff is good, but again at a cost. Revell have a number of Hasegawa kits re-boxed with significant reduction in price. Recent Revell releases are good to outstanding. Academy kits are generally OK to outstanding and don't break the bank. Italeri can be OKish to very good, also without breaking the bank. A lot depends on what subjects you want to build, otherwise the question is a bit like how long is a piece of string? I would suggest you give us a few ideas on what you are looking to build for us to make cogent recommendations.

peebeep

First up I would recommend Hobby Boss. Cheap and reasenably accurate. I've got my first yersterday, A P-47 Bubbletop. Looks very straight forward build, so you can concentrate on painting. Planning on starting the 47 later on. HobbyBoss has plenty of subjects, WWII and modern.

Academy is another possibility, cheap and reasenalby accurate. Straight forward builds. A splash of filler is usualy needed in the wing/fuselage join. Plenty of subjects, WWII and modern.

Revell usually have a good selection in 72nd, but beware the repops. Revell have a lot of old kits in their collection. But the Revells are generally cheap and reasenalby accurate, but can be a bit complex due to a lot of parts.

As for Tamiya and Hasegawa, they are (a lot ??) more expensive, but usually very easy to build and have excellent details.

David.

For a nice basic WWII collection in 1/72; fun to build with lots of great detail right OOB:

Tamiya

F4U-1 (Birdcage, A/D) Corsairs

P-51 B/D Mustang

P-47 (Razorback and Bubbletop)

Spitfire Mk I and Mk V

BF 109 E

FW 190 A-3

Hasegawa

A6M Zero (Type 21, 22, 23, 52)

Spitfire Mk VIII and IX

F4F Wildcat (currently out of print but well worth seeking out!)

Academy

P-38 J Lightning

Spitfire Mk XIV

JU-87 G Stuka

If you wanted to venture a little further afield you might also check out:

Tamiya

Kawanishi Shiden Type 11

Seiran float plane

Eduard

Lavochkin LA-7

Illyushin IL-2 Stormovik

Hasegawa

"Oscar"

Yakovlev Yak-3

Polikarpov I-16

Fujimi

A5M "Claude"

Aichi "Val"

All of these kits are excellent, well-detailed and a lot of fun to build. Should be enough variety there to keep the AMS away for a good long while!

:salute:

Old Blind Dog

Academy's P-39, SB2C and Fiesler Storch are nice too. So's their B-24 and B-29. I haven't seen their B-17 or PBY.

Their F4F and TBF are less so.

Revell of Germany's new tool stuff is mostly really good to. The He177, Ju290 and Fw200 are all gems. They are very reasonably priced as well.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

Thanks for all these tips, I appreciate them a lot. I have to wonder about all these Tamiya kits, though - are these originals, or Italeri reboxes? Even if they're OOP, I'll have a significantly easier time finding - and paying for - Italeri in 1/72 than Tamiya...

There's a model show in town this weekend - C4 Open, the biggest show in Scandinavia or so their website says - and for the first time in ages, it's the day *after* payday, rather than just before. I may be able to pick some kits up on the really cheap side then.

SP

Yes, beware the Italeri reboxes with the big name of tamiya,

all kits mentioned by old blind dog are made by Tamiya, also the Mosquito family and Fw190D-9, Tamiya's Mosquito is one of the best in the market, enjory it

Thanks for all these tips, I appreciate them a lot. I have to wonder about all these Tamiya kits, though - are these originals, or Italeri reboxes? Even if they're OOP, I'll have a significantly easier time finding - and paying for - Italeri in 1/72 than Tamiya...

There's a model show in town this weekend - C4 Open, the biggest show in Scandinavia or so their website says - and for the first time in ages, it's the day *after* payday, rather than just before. I may be able to pick some kits up on the really cheap side then.

SP

The Academy P-51B/C was a nice build as was the P-40M/N.

The Hasegawa P-40N,Brewster Buffalo,MS.406 are also nice.

As the other guys have said you cant go wrong with the Tamiya Corsairs or Mosquitos.

If you are interested in Twin engined fighters you might want to look at the Hasegawa Beaufighter its a real Beauty.

HTH

Mark