• 2 months later...
Anyone seen this scheme before? new one on me.

A0041.jpg

Photographer unknown

Julien

I may be in error on this, but the markings on the tail (the MAJCOM emblem) and the orange on the vert stabs and wing tips indicate to me that it's a bird used at Edwards or another base for testing.

A0041.jpg

Photographer unknown

Julien

Interesting photo and it does look like something out of Edward AFB - Test and Evaluation squadron. I wonder if there are any more photos of it on the net?

Photographer unknown

Julien

I believe that's either a development or early production A-10 in one of the "Mask" schemes the early Warthogs wore prior to getting the Euro-1/Lizard paintjobs.

Photographer unknown

Julien

Julien-

This was pre-production a/c #6, 73-1669, the climactic test airframe. The three-tone "gray" scheme was produced by painting the aircraft black, then putting on different levels of white paint. There were several different schemes, using several different types of paints, on the early hogs until the AF settled on the two ghost grays in a symmetrical scheme. I have a decal sheet that includes these marks, as well as many other pre- and early-production Warthogs. See p. 12 of Dana Bell's A-10 Warthog in Detail and Scale for a good B&W photo of 669 with MERs full of Mk. 82s. Page 27 of A-10 Warthog in Action has a picture of her in the cold hangar at Eglin with snow falling down. Also, I believe Tamiya's 1/48th kit was commonly shown in these markings for their catalogs.

I think the various one-off schemes for the A-10 would make an interesting group build or club display, if we could round up enough Hog fans at one time. I've thought about doing this all by myself, usually after a beer too many...

-Ben

The first, second, third from a old Kokufan magazin, 4th is from aircraftslides. The draws from a old italian scale modell magazin. Send me a private messege with your mail and ill send you my all pix!

levixhu-

Thanks, I saved your pix for use in painting my model when I finally get to it! May I ask where you got them?

Regards,

Ben

I wonder what the point was to paint a plane to look all beat up and nasty. Obviously that scheme didn't stick, but it looks interesting. Imagine a flightline full of that scheme. It would look like a junk yard with every plane being very different in shade.

Curt

I wonder what the point was to paint a plane to look all beat up and nasty. Obviously that scheme didn't stick, but it looks interesting. Imagine a flightline full of that scheme. It would look like a junk yard with every plane being very different in shade.

Curt

Curt-

Sounds like F-16s in Have Glass II... :(

-Ben

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any left-side pics of 258 from the 3rd post on page 1? Also looking for left side pics of the "Flipper" and "Peanut" camo planes.

Edited by wh1skea
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...