Another Trumpeter Tu-16K-26

Hello, fellow modelers.

Don't you like our hobby? We can change time, continent, even political views in a blink of an eye. (Sure, I am talking about our love to planes from different times,continents and even sides of "iron curtain").

After finishing beautiful Avro Vulcan (clickable) (plane, not model) I asked my 8 years old daugther simple question:"What should I build next?" I gave her to choice from 2 models: Tu-16 in 72-nd scale or MiG-21MF in 32-nd scale. Both from Trumpeter, both "OOB" (I wish!)

She looked around, noticed 2 previously built Tupolev's bombers (Tu-22 and Tu-22M3) and gave me a verdict: "This one!", pointing on Badger's box.

So, with her blessing I started this build 4 weeks ago.

My intentions in this build:

- Not to use any aftermarket

- keep level of scratch-building to a minimum

- NOT to compete with janman's beautiful creation (clickable)

- most important: HAVE FUN

So, I started from cockpit, but I did not like colors, suggested bu Trumpeter, so I used my "artistic license" and created this:

navigatorseatwithmaps2.jpg

As you can see, I added small table with several maps for Navigator.

Then, I turned my attention to a cannon's turrets - if you assemble them "Trumpeter's way", there will be quite big gaps (about 2.5 mm or 1/10 of an inch) behind cannons casing and turret. So, I glued small piece of plastic ot cannons to close this gap. Here is bottom view of it:

cannonwithextraplastic.jpg

Regarding to cannon turrets - Trumpeter offer to assemble turrets completely and insert them in fuselage while gluing fuselage halves together!!! Not for me! I know for shure, that I will brake something during filling/sanding/painting or just handling model. So, I used pieces of a sprue, to create "holder" fro bottom parts of turrets. Now I can put bottoms inside, glue fuselage halves together, do whatever I need to do without fear of breaking fragile cannons. It's simple, but (hopefully) effective. Take a look. Top one:

topturretholder.jpg

Bottom one:

bottomturretholder.jpg

Another shortcoming of this kit: empty holes inside of each and every opening (crew entrance hatches and tail bumper). I do not like this, so my model will have only one open crew entrance hatch (forward) and tail bumper will be in extended position. To eliminate hole, I createdsmall box from scrap plastic for tail bumper. It's not piece of art, but it will block a view inside.

tailbumperbay.jpg

Work with front crew entrance is not finished yet. It looks like this now:

cockpit-newfloor2.jpg

entrance.jpg

And one more picture, just for fun - size camparison of Comet in 144 with stabilizer of Tu-16 in 72-nd.

100_4548.jpg

Hope, you like it.

Your comments are welcome!

Edited by Atlant
Any chance to see any pics of Blinder and Backfire? Pretty please?

Sebastian, thank you so much for your interest in my models. Here you can see pictures of other Tupolev bombers.

tupolevs5.jpg

tupolevs4.jpg

tupolevs3.jpg

tupolevs2.jpg

tupolevs1.jpg

tupolevs6.jpg

Those models were build about 2 years ago - in the beginning of my modeling, so those are not best models.

Some changes were made in both of them - Tu-22 got undernose fairing resized/rescribed, Tu-22M3 got "nose job" - original kit provides M3 intakes and M2 nose, so new M3-style nose was "sculpted" from Milliput. Intake channels were cut, because originals ends with blank wall just after several millimeters deep.

Hope you like it.

Leo.

Well, guys...

My intentions to "keep level of scratch building to a minimum" went down to drain.... As most of you probably know from janman's build process Trumpeter does not allow you to keep intakes open - there is nothing there, and FOD-covers provided by manufacturer.

But it just does not look right, so i decided to do something with it and put some Milliput inside of engine pods yesterday. No pictures yet, but I will let you know how it will turn out...

Stay tuned....

P.S. Is it just me, or all of us got AMS (advanced modeling sindrom)? It's quite contageous....

Edited by Atlant
My intentions to "keep level of scratch building to a minimum" went down to drain.... As most of you probably know from janman's build process Trumpeter does not allow you to keep intakes open - there is nothing there, and FOD-covers provided by manufacturer.

But it just does not look right, so i decided to do something with it and put some Milliput inside of engine pods yesterday. No pictures yet, but I will let you know how it will turn out...

The intakes certainly do not look right - even with the covers in place - so it will be interesting to see your solution, Atlant!

P.S. Is it just me, or all of us got AMS (advanced modeling sindrom)? It's quite contageous....

No. It's not just you. :thumbsup:

The intakes certainly do not look right - even with the covers in place - so it will be interesting to see your solution, Atlant!

janman, thank you for your interes in my humble attempt...

I know, that intakes are completely wrong in shape, but I do not do resin myself, and have no intention to buy NeOmega kit. I just want to make it look like intakes - with smooth channel inside..

I am quite intriqued myself with end result. Let's see what I will have at the end....

Update of my progress.

- Fuselage halves are glued. (You can see result of my cannot turret support structure "in action" - it works! I can use sand paper without fear to break anything...)

fusehalvesglued.jpg

fusehalvesglued2.jpg

Intakes: My attempt to use Milliput to create intake's walls worked like this:

intakes2.jpg

intakes3.jpg

intakes4.jpg

I will add "wing spar structure" later, but so far I am quite satisfied with result.

One more frustration point - when I tried to glue 3 covers to thier places result looks like this:

whynottosize.jpg

whynottosize2.jpg

Why, Trumpeter? Why? Is it so hard to make those covers same size as holes?

Besides this: Wings and wheels halves are glued. (Wings and Wheels? Sweet combo B) )

More to follow... Stay tuned...

Leo.

Wings and Wheels? Sweet combo :D

First that sounded familiar without knowing where I've heard "Wings and wheels" before. Then it got back to me that it's an oldtimer car and aircraft show somewhere here in Belgium. Quite funny :)

Indeed nice anticipation on the turrets! looking cool and succes with filling the hatches :D

• 2 weeks later...

Comrades,

It looks like everyone stopped working on models. Let's bring this Group Build to live again!

I will start with very little update. After 2 weeks of fighting with intakes, I am finally satisfied with result.

Sure, it does not look like intakes of Tu-16, but I cannot redo plastic. At least I maanaged to have something smooth inside, so I do not have to use intake covers to cover empty cavern.

intakes.jpg

Here you can see how many attempts it took me to fill out seams between fuse and entrance hatch.

seams.jpg

So, It looks like I should be able to join big pieces together (I hope):

parts.jpg

Another area of disapointment: Take a look at thsi wing fence:

wingfence.jpg

It's a inner fence on port wing. It looks like 2 halves of casting form arte mis-aligned. In my case only this fence got this problem - outer fence on same wing does not have this problem, and both fences on starboard wing are fine. One more session of sanding....

To all interesting in Tu-16 - here is a picture of quite "unorthodox" painting scheme:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0622649/L/

Stay tuned for another updates...

Leo.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, gents. There is not so much activity in this GB, so I decided to put model back on desk.

Here is what I got so far:

My kit is quite old and it lacks window on starboard side for navigator behind glazing.

So, I had to make one.

Here is a simple sequence:

mark a hole:

newhole1.jpg

use a saw to cut sides:

newhole3.jpg

newhole4.jpg

scribe the rest:

newhole5.jpg

done:

newholecomplete.jpg

after clear plastic was glued in place it looks like this:

newhole-windowinplace.jpg

(Yes, my original hole was bigger, then required, so I had to glue some plastic there)

After this I glued wings.

wingsinplace1.jpg

wingsinplace2.jpg

To be continued...

• 3 weeks later...

It's time to give you update on my progress.

You can officially consider me insane - i decided to finish my Tu-16 in foil.... Boy, o boy, little I knew when I started. With 30 cm (1 feet) long wings and it took me 4 evenings 3 hours each to complete 1 wing only! :blink: :D :P

So, with one more wing, fuselage and tail sirfaces I probably would not be able to finish this project by deadline. :crying2::crying2:

But enough words, here is how it looks now:

foil-completewing5.jpg

foil-completewing6.jpg

foil-completewing8.jpg

foil-completewing10.jpg

foil-completewing11.jpg

So, what do you think about it?

Yesterday I "un-dressed" it, because foil did not look right for me - to shiny and bright. It took about 2 hours to remove foil, so 12+2=14 hours of modeling time later, I am at same point. Sux!

But it's Ok, I learned my lesson.. Now - back to work....

• 1 month later...