There is some sort of antenna behind that panel, but I don't know what for. Hey, I was a Crew Chief, not Avionics. The panel is not supposed to be painted, but frequently is-depending on how much attention the paint shop paid during the paint spraying.

The variation between paint schemes is why I personally think too many modelers worry about a "Perfectly Accurate" paint job. Obviously they are not even "Perfectly Accurate" out in the fleet, so there is some room for variation.

Just my 2cents, however.

JMC

JMC, thanks for the info - I agree on the paint and even the same airframe can have variations on each repaint

thanks John - you will see a wide variety on the MOD Eagle scheme in its waviness and coverage. Even on tops of the wings, and both sides of the tails. I have no idea how strict they are or what guidelines they must follow.

Don't know on that panel - sometimes it is grey and some times it is the camo color. And there is a similar panel on the top of the fuselage in about the same spot

It is one of the ALQ-128 EWWS (Electronic Warfare Warning Set) antennas.

Steve

JMC, thanks for the info - I agree on the paint and even the same airframe can have variations on each repaint

A lot of times variations in the paint can be caused where in the lifetime of the paint job the jet is. A jet fresh from depot will have a brand new paint job over the complete airframe (it will have been completely stripped and repainted). A couple of years later the same jet will go to the local paint barn for a touch-up paint (selected areas will be sanded and repainted). At some point after that the jet will go through the paint barn for a "full' repaint (most of the airframe is sanded, then repainted). However, only at the depot is the jet stripped back to metal and reprimed, then painted.

Point being that the same airframe can exhibit "different" paint characteristics, depending on the life of the airframe. Repainting has always been an interest of mine, since I got to help prep my jet at Edwards. It is kind of an interesting process.

Probably more input than anyone wanted!

JMC

It also depends on how "into it" the painters are that day. Or even how hung over they are.... Structures guys are almost as fun to party with as Crew Chiefs! I once had a corrosion guy just hand me a rattle can and tell me to do my own touch ups. He clearly wasn't into it that day! I painted the << Bleed air door >> next to here it says " hot exhaust" I think I did quite a good job...

Curt

It is one of the ALQ-128 EWWS (Electronic Warfare Warning Set) antennas.

Steve

thanks Steve

A lot of times variations in the paint can be caused where in the lifetime of the paint job the jet is. A jet fresh from depot will have a brand new paint job over the complete airframe (it will have been completely stripped and repainted). A couple of years later the same jet will go to the local paint barn for a touch-up paint (selected areas will be sanded and repainted). At some point after that the jet will go through the paint barn for a "full' repaint (most of the airframe is sanded, then repainted). However, only at the depot is the jet stripped back to metal and reprimed, then painted.

Point being that the same airframe can exhibit "different" paint characteristics, depending on the life of the airframe. Repainting has always been an interest of mine, since I got to help prep my jet at Edwards. It is kind of an interesting process.

Probably more input than anyone wanted!

JMC

Nah, I am always interested in info like that - thanks :)

It also depends on how "into it" the painters are that day. Or even how hung over they are.... Structures guys are almost as fun to party with as Crew Chiefs! I once had a corrosion guy just hand me a rattle can and tell me to do my own touch ups. He clearly wasn't into it that day! I painted the << Bleed air door >> next to here it says " hot exhaust" I think I did quite a good job...

Curt

thanks for the info Curt

• 2 weeks later...

Either that's a long burst from the cannon with red tracers or one helluva laser beam........ :bandhead2: J/K Ken that's some very nice time lapse shooting. I remember seeing one done on a carrier with Phantoms...from the cat out about 200 yds or more.

Either that's a long burst from the cannon with red tracers or one helluva laser beam........ :thumbsup: J/K Ken that's some very nice time lapse shooting. I remember seeing one done on a carrier with Phantoms...from the cat out about 200 yds or more.
Really cool, Ken !

I use to do those type of shots of the So Cal Freeway system ...

Gregg

That looks very cool. You didn't hold the camera all that time did you Ken? :lol:

thanks Clif, Gregg and Richard. I used a tripod and wired shutter remote, which in itself was a huge help. First time trying this

HI Ken

any chance of you capturing the F-15SG from Singapore at Mountain AFB? U seem to have alot of connection. THanks

sorry who, I don't have any contacts there, and that is almost all the way across the country

Was digging through some of my old slides...

F-15A ASAT, Edwards 1984:

very cool - neat seeing the missile!

Looking at the Robins AFB site I found this interesting pics.

http://www.robins.af.mil/shared/media/phot...F-5350S-017.JPG

http://www.robins.af.mil/shared/media/phot...F-5350S-004.JPG

Was he the Streak Eagle pilot? I shall look it up...

Curt

Good find Curt

From the properties on the pics:

"A Robins firetruck shoots a stream of water over the F-15 after Lt. Col. Coleman's final flight. U. S. Air Force photo by Sue Sapp"

"Lt. Col. Kevin Coleman poses for a photo before his final flight Nov. 23. U. S. Air Force photo by Sue Sapp"

And a bit of Google searching

http://ericpalmer.wordpress.com/2009/12/10...-kevin-coleman/

On a chilly, overcast day last week, Lt. Col. Kevin “Iceman†Coleman climbed into the cockpit of an F-15 Eagle for a test flight, just as he had done routinely for the past 15 years at Robins.

But this flight was not routine.

Coleman, who currently holds more flying hours in the F-15 than any other pilot, was making his last flight prior to his retirement on Tuesday.

Members of the 339th Flight Test Squadron and others came out to watch his final takeoff and landing, marking the end of a 30-year Air Force career.

A Robins fire department truck sprayed water over the plane as he taxied in after landing. His son, Austin, and daughter, Ally, sprayed him with hoses after he climbed out of the plane, and friends gathered congratulated him on his achievements.

“I’m really going to miss the people here and the great friends I’ve made over the last 15 years,†Coleman said. “It’s really amazing to spend half of one’s career at one base.â€

His wife, Jan, and mother-in-law Maurine Bagley also came out to see the flight.

But it is far from his last ride in an F-15. He is immediately heading to St. Louis, where he will become an F-15 test pilot for Boeing’s foreign sales division. He will be flying at locations around the globe, including Singapore, Korea and Saudi Arabia.

“It’s fun and I like doing it,†he said of flying. “I’ve set my career to fly as long as possible.â€

He was the first pilot to reach 100 missions in Desert Storm. He has 5,200 total hours in the F-15, having previously flown F-4s.

• 2 weeks later...