• 1 month later...

Gents,

Not very good images I know, but I thought I'd share a couple taken this afternoon here in the UK at Lakenheath. The 'Bayou Militia' again staged through Lakenheath and like last time a few years ago picked the mid afternoon in late spring when the light was high and directly down the runway...grrr!

This time they were homeward bound after spending some time on exercise in Bulgaria, which was where they went last time I saw them here in 2013. Six came back in today as two three ships, leaving two broke behind. Each cell of three had a KC-10 that departed Mildenhall a few hours earlier and dragged them back in. Only two really worth showing as the rest are terrible (these aren't much better).

I couldn't believe that the lead ('Mazda 11') was flying a FY78 bird. I assumed they'd all be in the desert by now.

jz1.jpg

jz2.jpg

Gary

Hey, I know that jet.

Regards,

Murph

Hi Murph,

Anything special about this jet. Just out of interest the six that came in were;

78-0496

80-0029

81-0036

82-0037

82-0047 D model (carried some nose art but the images are too dark to try and make it out)

83-0048 D model

Gary

Hi Murph,

Anything special about this jet. Just out of interest the six that came in were;

Gary,

When I flew the Eagle at Langley that was the first jet that had my name on it. LINK

Regards,

Murph

Gary,

When I flew the Eagle at Langley that was the first jet that had my name on it. LINK

Regards,

Murph

Wow, I had no idea. I should follow the forum a bit closer. What are the chances of that happening, the exact same jet, and one of only two I got some acceptable images of. Here's another frame of 81-0036, which was 'Mazda 13' on Monday.

IMG_3708.jpg

Incidentally, these guys have left Lakenheath within the last hour along with the two KC-10s out of Mildenhall. I'm surprised they've gone as it's blowing a gale here and Mildenhall in particular always suffers from crosswind issues. I'm assuming the F-15s are inbound New Orleans as overheard ATC indicates they're flight time as 10 hours.

Gary

• 1 month later...

F-15SA loaded for bear!

CJBYP7rUMAACs8C1.jpg

8 AIM-9Xs and 8 AIM-120s ...

-Gregg

Awesome. Thanks for posting. Too bad we couldn't have ordered 100 of those as a stop gap between our current 4th Gen and the F-35. Oh well :rolleyes:/>/>

Edited by Falconxlvi
  • 1 month later...

I have a question for you Eagle guys. I have an old Hasegawa 1/48 F-15J kit. I want to use US markings on it when I build it. What US variant is the J?

The J is an F-15C, with a few notable differences. The ECM gear in Bay 5 was withheld, as was the Radar Warning System and nuclear equipment. The ECM has been replaced by Japanese-built equipment, (probably still housed in Bay 5 I would imagine). The biggest modeling-related difference between the J and C would be the tails...On American aircraft, one of the tail booms is thick (holding the An/ALQ-135 TEWS antenna), and the other is a skinny counter-balance. On the Japanese birds, both are thin. There may be some other antennas that are different. I am not completely sure on that.

Aaron

Aaron

Thanks for the info. I am not an AF bird guy, I'm a Navy bird guy. I worked F/A-18A's as an ordnanceman a long time ago. In fact the kit I have was given to me by squadronmate that was transferring back in 1989. I'll have to figure out what to do about the external differences on the tails when I decide to build it. Thanks again!

Here's a visual for you:

F-15J

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/156027/M/Japan-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15J-Eagle/12-8051/

F-15C

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/162040/M/USA-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15C-Eagle/84-0031/

You can see how the far stab tip on the Oregon bird is thicker than the near stab. That is the AN/ALQ-135 antenna.

Aaron

No need to scratchbuild it, both types are in the kit. C13 is the thinner one, C14 is the fatter one, and sprue C is a duplicate so you get two of each.

Edited by Pete

Pete

Oh crap I did not see them in the kit. This kit is the is over 20 years old. I have opened it but never really looked at it. Like I said I normally just build Navy Aircraft but this thing is yelling at me to build it. Everytime I go to the storage closet it is all ways in the way. Thanks for the info Pete.

Hello I thought I'd ask the Eagle Nest for some info.

Im going to be building the "White Dragon" JSDF F-15J from the 303rd Sqd. and during my goolg'ing have noticed a couple things that vary from airframe to airframe.

Under the intakes (aft of the hinge line) some aircraft sport what look like two (1 per side) 'L' shaped sensors while some dont.

Is there a rhyme or reason to which airframes had them and which dont?

Secondly I noticed at the rear most point on the port side some aircraft have a sensor there while others taper to the typical F-15C point.

**edit, I see some USAF C's have this sensor as well**

Again is there a rhyme or reason to which airframes had them and which dont?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Shawn M
  • 2 weeks later...

Stupid question--been away a while and not sure if this is the best place to stick it, so apologies if I've goofed and I'd appreciate a redirect. :)

Two questions...

1. Anything new in F-15 conversion parts, like for the SA or SG with those trapezoid sensor housings next to the rear cockpit?

2. Anyone have any data about those 1/9 and 2 Main/8 Main dual-rails that SA is carrying? My gut would say to just use the off-the-shelf rig used on Hornets if it works, but this being Defense Procurement we know how they love to reinvent the wheel for that extra bit of profit.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since NASA website was not so helpful,I was wondering if there are pics or detailed 3d view/prints (I know I'm asking too much) of the F-15 S/MTD old 2d vectoring engines and their nacelle modification.I've lurked ebay and amazon for months but didn't find anything good

Edited by Mizar