What are the red markings on the lower wing surfaces for?

F-15D84-004533rdFWHollomanOct077.jpg

That is where they mount cameras for when they are test shooting missiles. 84-0045 was my second jet at Eglin, and really the first one that I consider "mine", as by that time I was independent enough to work on my own. A Senior Airman and then a Buck Sergeant!

There was also a camera mount that could go in the fuselage station, and every time we flew with those I klonked my head on it.

The old girl looks in good shape, I am glad to see someone is taking good care of her.

JMC

Say Jake... with that many photos you should do a F-15 book! hint hint

Would love to see some great info on the "E" variant. Just my two cents worth. Great post of pics though... thanks guys. I'll post some I got from by brother-in-law when he was at Lakenheath, shortly.

And Randy, another fantastic group of photos.

Thanks again David! :woot.gif:

While going through the F-15 pics I found some out of the ordinary (for me anyway) stores loaded on a couple of them...maybe someone has info on them:

ECM pod of some kind? (on F-15C 'OT')

IMG_5765x2_rf_a_crop.jpg

targeting pod of some kind? (on F-15E 'OT')

IMG_5191x2_rf_a_crop.jpg

Edited by wakko807

GREAT, GREAT photos Randy,

The first pod is the Israeli ELTA EL/L 8212 / 22 jamming pod. This system is found on many of the aggressors in the 65th AGRS and the "WA" and "OT" Eagles. It is used to simulate a "foreign" jamming system.

The second pod is as interesting to me than to You - I do not know what what it is nor its designation. I believe it is a kind of data-link pod though!!

It could very well be a development of the existing AN/AXQ-14 pod that is a two-way data link weapon control and guidance system for the EGBU-15 and AGM-130 precision-guided weapon systems.

Greetings,

Henrik.

Edited by Henrik
GREAT, GREAT photos Randy,
Great shots Randy!!!

Less than two weeks until Aviation Nation!!!!!!

Nice Eagles Randy and good information there Henrik.

Thanks everybody and ditto on the info Henrik. I thought it looked like that data link pod but the scoop on the back threw me. :yahoo:

awesome shots Randy! Would love to be in that spot :D

Thanks Ken! Normally the planes take off in the direction of the spot I was at...but one day I was there they had the pattern reversed so everything landed right above me. A couple days later it was back to normal...I wasn't able to be out there as long on the second day but I was still able to get a variety of shots.

Are the Hawaii ANG F-15As being replaced with something newer, or are they just shrinking the number of planes?

Getting F-15C/Ds.

Will the external fuel tanks be removed and used again or do they go into storage also?

The jets go into storage with whatever external hardware they come in with, including fuel tanks and baggage pods.

Jake

OK, great shots from all you camera aimers out there. Now a few from a photographic era when men were men and the subject was put in focus using the ole MK I Eyeball.

F-15A76-008848thFIS-2.jpg

F-15A 76-0088 48th FIS Langley AFB

F-15A77-010149thTFW.jpg

F-15A 77-0101 49th TFW Bergstrom AFB

F-15A837NASAcopy.jpg

F-15B 837 NASA Edwards AFB

F-15E90-022857thFWW.jpg

F-15E 90-0228 57th FWW

F-15E90-023390thFS.jpg

F-15E 90-0233 90th FS

F-15C84-0030-1.jpg

F-15C 84-0030 57th FWW