Here are a few more. The first few I got the offer to go out and stand next to the runway while some Strike Eagles were taking off. You just never have lived untill you've had your teeth rattled out of you head by an"E!"

DSC04124.jpg

DSC04096.jpg

DSC04161.jpg

DSC04174.jpg

DSC04176.jpg

A couple more from a bit safer distance.

DSC05119.jpg

DSC05178.jpg

Hi again,

I just noticed 00-3000 is wearing 492nd flashes (although it looks like it's still got the 'Panthers' badge on the side). I thought I saw that over at Lakenheath during their TACEVAL last week but didn't photograph it in the horrid grey stuff on monday. It used to be rather straight forward with the 48th FW - the FY 91 jets were split between the 492nd and 494th, with the 492nd having all the FY96-98 jets and the 494th the FY00-01 airframes. The 494th also had the single FY92 jet over here but looking at those pics 92-0364 is also wearing 'blue'. Now it's like they're swapping them around a fair bit. Nice to see some Lakenheath jets loaded as that obviously rarely happens here.

Gary

Great pics guys. I especially like all of the Strike Eagle pics from the Sandbox. It amazes me that the LN birds are the newest airframes in the fleet, but often times are also the dirtiest/most beat-up looking. It's amazing how much paint chipping, oil leaks, and light-gray control surfaces you see on those birds. Sure does make them look cool though.

Aaron

Maybe that's Lt Col Madden's personal tally from earlier in his career?

For the most part F-4s (and I guess Thuds too) that carried MiG kills back then carried kills attributed to the airframe, not individual pilots. So it was unusual and pretty neat, to see an F-15 graced with Madden's score. When I took the photo I wondered if that was him in the aircraft, but there is no way to know.