Indian AF Su-30MKI & Malaysian AF Su-30MKM in 1:72 scale

I have finally finished my conversions of the Heller 1:72 scale Su-27UB into a Su-30MKI & Su-30MKM...

See here for the In-progress build.

Both models side-by-side to show the differences..

su-30_052.jpg

Malaysian Su-30MKM......

su-30_053.jpg

su-30_064.jpg

su-30_065.jpg

Indian Su-30MKI....

su-30_058.jpg

su-30_068.jpg

su-30_067.jpg

My attempts at some scenic shots.....

su-30_069.jpg

su-30_071.jpg

su-30_072.jpg

A few more pics (and the full build) here

Ken

Is it just me, or does MKM front canard part not look same as MKI... ;)

Other that: ;) :doh::bandhead2:

Do you mean the moveable bit - or the 'shoulder' mounts ??

The moveable canards were made using the same template - the shoulders were done by eye - so the curve may not be exactly the same ;)

Ken

PS - the MKI canards are set at an angle - the MKM's are 'straight' - just to ring the changes - maybe it's that ???

Edited by Flankerman
Great job, Ken, Super model.

You prep[are its to Telford? Anithing else?

Thanks Andrey......

I have been burning the midnight oil - getting things finished for Telford. :bandhead2:

So far I have ready.....

Myasischev M-50 Bounder

Myasischev M-17 Stratosphera

Su-30MKM

Su-30MKI

I found an old Amodel Yak-28P that I started a year ago - I have also finished that.

I also just received some inkjet decal paper in the post - so I MIGHT just get my South Front Mi-26 Halo finished (I don't think I'll manage to make the diorama with the Chinook in time) - but the Halo will be done.

All the above on top of some recently finished stuff will be at Telford.....

Trumpeter Tu-160

Amodel Tu-128U Pelican

Amodel Su-11 & Su-9

Condor MiG-25

Amodel Il-76

Thinks..... I can make a mini-PVO display with the Yak-28P, MiG-25, Su-9 & Su-11 - I already have a Tu-128 & MiG-31.

Ken

Yeah ken, i was thinking of shoulder part in front. As you say, it doesnt have same curve.

You got me worried - all that effort and I've got the curve of the canard shoulder slightly wrong..... :crying2:

I took some more pics to compare - and it isn't THAT bad !

su-30_075.jpg

OK - so it's slightly different - but I'll live with it given all the other mods I had to do.....

Ken

HI

Nice job as usual. What is that "dome" on the Malaysian a/c? Looks like some sort of satellite tracker ...

Tom

It's a Missile Approach Warning System antenna...... there's another one on the underside..

su-30_034.jpg

su-30_035.jpg

The Indian Su-30MKI has Russian, Indian & Israeli avionics, the Malaysians, being Muslim, did not want any Israeli content, so they contracted SAAB/Avitronic to replace the MAWS - and that system has a multi-faceted 'dome' with flat plate antennas on three side - each with 120 deg coverage.

Ken

Nice build Ken you are the man. Keep those Flankers coming. Will you do the Su35 901 demo ?

regards,

Tony

I'll give it a go - funny enough I have a made-up Su-27 started to 'convert' to an early-build machine - so it already has the Chaff/Flare boxes on either side of the tailboom cut off.

I might use that as a basis for the Su-35 - but there would still be loads of work to do.

Making the two Su-30's though reminded me how awful the Airfix/Heller Flankers are as kits - they are the most accurate (IMHO) - but the fit of parts is bad and you have to do so much work just to make them as standard models - before doing any conversion work.

Then there's the painting of the dark metallic engine nacelles - a real pain to mask & paint in different shades - I still haven't got it right.

Why can't Sukhoi have painted them in heat-resistant paint like any normal planemakers?

I am in two minds - should I carry on doing conversions with my stash of Airfix/Heller kits - plus all those lovely decals from Begemot/Linden Hill/Hi Decal - or should I wait patiently and see what Trumpeter do?

Cheers

Ken

Great job,Ken!

And what I respect most was that you can make so many Airfix/Heller kits,which improved to be so terrible. :wacko:

And your painting skill just made the kits so real.

I'll try your method in my next built!

:D

Yufei

I have just realised I have made a MAJOR error :thumbsup:

The Su-27 nosewheel door has a large concave 'dished' section at the front on the inside face.

This is to accomodate the single nosewheel when it is retracted.

On the Flankers with twin nosewheels, this large single recess is replaced with two smaller recesses!

I'll have to trash the two Flankers wot I have done - and start all over again :doh:

Seriously though - it's a detail to watch out for on any twin-nosewheel Flanker - especially in the larger scales.

All except the Su-33 that is - it has no recesses as the wheels are smaller.

Here's what I mean.......

Su-27 & Su-27UB...

su-30_076.jpg

Su-30MKI & Su-30MKK (and other twin wheelers)......

su-30_077.jpg

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Excellent build Ken... :bandhead2:

i love the MKM so much and its a real beauty.. and i'll refer to your build for my 2nd take at building the MKM :D since my first build was a test-run-build :D

and hopefully can feast my eyes on the real MKM during LIMA2007 this year

Excellent build Ken... ;)

i love the MKM so much and its a real beauty.. and i'll refer to your build for my 2nd take at building the MKM :D since my first build was a test-run-build :D

and hopefully can feast my eyes on the real MKM during LIMA2007 this year

Thanks....

Plenty of photos please from LIMA...... :doh:

Especially all those aerials and bumps - we need detail shots!!

Ken